Renting points

blh906ohio

Original Poster
I am new to this idea and would like to know what other people think of this. My niece "rented" points for the Beach Club. She told me that her cost came out to be about $160 a night for 4 nights. It seemed too good to be true. Is this a possibility ? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks everyone .

Phonedave

I am new to this idea and would like to know what other people think of this. My niece "rented" points for the Beach Club. She told me that her cost came out to be about $160 a night for 4 nights. It seemed too good to be true. Is this a possibility ? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks everyone .

Do a search, DVCMike put up a good primer on renting points.

$160 a night seems quite possible, depending on the season and room size/type.

BWV maintence fees are $4.25 a point right now (of course she may not have rented BWV points, but lets go with it anyway)

Most people who rent points are not looking to make a profit, or if they are, it's a small profit. Mainly its because they have points they are not using, and rather than let them go to waste, they rent them at a rate that will cover their maintence fees.

$160 at lets say $10 a point is 16 points.

Weekdays, a studio at BWV is between 9 and 16 points on a weeknight and 12 to 19 points on a weekend.

A one bedroom is betwen 16 to 75 points a night, depending on time of year and weeknight/weekend.

So yes, you can rent enough points for $160 to stay a night at the BWV. Depends on the room

-dave

Edit: I see DVC Dave's site, which you asked about, is renting points at $13 a point. My guess is he sort of acts like an aggregator, offering a "clearinghouse" for point rentals. In exchange for this, he most likely tacks on a surcharge of some sort.

I really know nothing about his site or service.

-dave

Phonedave

See the [thread=261350]Considering Renting from a DVC Member?[/thread] thread.

See, I knew he would find it.

Concerning the DVC Dave thing. I looked into it, and what a concept.

I am sorry I did not think of it.

It seems this is what they guy does. If you are a DVC member, who at times wants to rent your points out, you talk to him. He signs a contract with you, and you make him and assocated on your ownership. That means he can make reservations. A non-named person cannot make reservations. So now, he can make reservations with your points. He then acts as a points broker, and when someone rents your points, he gets on the 3-way call with them and DVC and sets up the reservation.

The renter gets a rental contract stating they rented the points and have a reservation at such and such a time.

The owner gets a check for the rental of his points.

And DVC Dave takes a cut off the top for his trouble. - genious, wish I had thought of it.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom