Renting points - who's responsible for damage?

Pluto'sGrl

Original Poster
We are considering using a rental service to unload some points but are wary of it costing us more in the long run.

Does anyone know who is responsible if a room is damaged or items are missing from the room after check-out? Is it the guest who has shown i.d. at check-in or the DVC member who the reservation is under?

We're not worried about a tab because the guest would have put a credit card on file in order to be able to charge.

trs518

We are considering using a rental service to unload some points but are wary of it costing us more in the long run.

Does anyone know who is responsible if a room is damaged or items are missing from the room after check-out? Is it the guest who has shown i.d. at check-in or the DVC member who the reservation is under?

We're not worried about a tab because the guest would have put a credit card on file in order to be able to charge.

I believe that you would be liable for damages in Disney's eyes. It would then be your responsibility to go after whomever you rented it to, to get your money back.

Monorail Lime

I believe that you would be liable for damages in Disney's eyes. It would then be your responsibility to go after whomever you rented it to, to get your money back.
This is correct. The DVC member must pay for any damages per the terms of their DVC contract.

The rental agreement contract between the DVC member and the renter allows the DVC member or the intermediary to collect reimbursement for damages and other outstanding charges from the renter. This is a sample of such a contract: http://www.dvcrequest.com/sample_agreement.htm

Lynne M

Members who are renting can be stuck with the credit card bill, as well. I've read of a couple of cases where renters ran up a tab, and when the resort went to charge their card, the charge was refused. DVC billed the owner.

dizzney

Members who are renting can be stuck with the credit card bill, as well. I've read of a couple of cases where renters ran up a tab, and when the resort went to charge their card, the charge was refused. DVC billed the owner.

I'vew heard of this also, which is why when we rented points out two years ago we did it thru Daddio as we felt safer that way. At that time there was an owner stuck with a 1500 resort charge that bounced.

Pluto'sGrl

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. We have decided against it since it just seems too risky. The good part is, we're forcing ourselves to take a trip to the World to use the points up ourselves! :sohappy:

trs518

I would have a hard time renting out points due to the liability. I would transfer them to another member that wanted them. I believe at that point we wouldn't be liable for what they did.

tjkraz

I would have a hard time renting out points due to the liability. I would transfer them to another member that wanted them. I believe at that point we wouldn't be liable for what they did.

That's true on the liability issue. However you're looking at a much smaller market in terms of members looking for additional points. Most renters appear to be non-members looking for a cheaper way to vacation. With options like banking, borrowing and DVC's own one-time use points, there isn't exactly a robust market for members looking to transfer.

Also members are limited to one transfer per year so you would have to find an exact match where the other member wants exactly the number of points you are looking to get rid of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom