Remembering Patsy Cline and other country musicians who died in plane crash 50 years ago today.

prberk

Original Poster
It is remembered in a scene in "Coal Miner's Daughter," when Loretta Lynn is awakened to the news on the radio that her friend, Patsy Cline, had perished in a plane crash the night before. Like Loretta, the rest of the country music world was stunned.

Virginia's own Patsy Cline, along the fellow Grand Ole Opry members Hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas, as well as pilot and musician Randy Hughes, had died in a plane crash on their way back from a benefit concert for another musician's family who had himself died in a car crash.

More on the details of that fateful time is found here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/03/04/patsy-cline-plane-crash-anniversary/1962741/

It is well worth the read, but more important for the contributions these folks left us than for the plane crash.

It is telling that Patsy's music is still heard 50 years after her death. "Crazy," "Walking After Midnight," "Sweet Dreams," and "She's Got You" are all great ballads from one of the best singers this industry has ever known.

Patsy and all of the others will be remembered tonight at the Opry in Nashville, and a special radio tribute will be done tomorrow night on the Eddie Stubbs show on WSM. I encourage you to check out both nights. They are broadcast live on www.wsmonline.com or on the terrestrial dial at 650 AM, just as Patsy and Hawkshaw and Cowboy Copas all were 50 + years ago.

We miss them, but God has them now. And we have their music.

gan-patsy-cline-crash-030113-3-3_4_rx340.jpg

luv

Wonderful voice. She died before I was born, but I consider myself lucky that she was here before me and left her songs behind for me to enjoy. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom