Remembering Javier Cruz

The Spare

Original Poster
I just heard about the cast member who was killed before step-off on February 11th at The Magic Kingdom. I was shocked and hurt when I realized that the victim of this surreal tragedy was Javier Cruz, one of the brightest and kindest people I had ever worked with in my six year run with Disney.

Javier and I were greeters together in Toon Town in and around 1997-98. What I remember of Javier is only an unshakeable sense of humor and a perfect smile. He was one of the first people I met while working at The Magic Kingdom, and some of my first memories as a cast member include working alongside Javier. With his playful and honest personality, he could put anyone into a good mood. He was great with the families, the children, and his fellow cast. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who knew him will agree that he was a spectacular guy on every level.

We both "graduated" to character status after some time in the trenches as greeters--not a very highly regarded status among characters--and I moved on to other parts of the Kingdom, and later to MGM before I called it quits. I ran into Javier occasionally when revisiting the tunnels, and my last memory of him was his look of surprise, a healthly handshake, and a bearhug. We exchanged current phone numbers, and to my extreme regret, I never followed up.

I left Disney over a year-and-a-half ago, so hearing the sorrowful news of Javier sent all the memories rushing back to me of the great times I had as a greeter and character, and of all the truly important human beings that I grew to know and appreciate.

And Javier Cruz tops the list .

JA

Covnut

That was really sweet. It's hard to lose someone so special. Let's hope his memories he created for all the children he met and families live on.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
you're not alone in your loss JA. I'm one of the many that considered Javier a friend, and one of the best memories of Disney.

weluvtink

Thank you for giving us a description of the man under the Pluto costume. He seemed like a wonderful person to know. I pray for those who knew and loved him.

McArcDes

As was everyone else I was saddened by the news that Javier Cruz lost his life this past week. From what every one who knew him has said it truly sounds like he was a person who held the true Disney spirit in his heart. When ever we lose a person like Javier it is tragic. To all who knew him, his family, friends and co-CM's I give my heart felt sympathy and to all of us who will visit the Magic Kindom from this day forward have my have my sympathy too because we have lost some one who made the magic for all of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom