News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

eddie104

jt04

Just my two cents. I'd love to see this as the aesthetic for replacing the last original "garden wing" at the Contemporary. It fits perfectly with that resort.

Sir_Cliff

Hmm, this is giving me the same minimalist rustic vibe that I have found in a lot of hotels when travelling in Scandinavia. Honestly, I don't mind the design of the rooms. Certainly not the least attractive rooms Disney has on property. I feel that if I turned up in Oslo or Tromsø and this was my hotel, I'd probably think it was quite nice. Really not giving me a WDW vibe, though.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

Something about that picture with the orange couches in front of a TV feels very wrong to me, and I can't quite put my finger on why. All of the other concept art evokes a relaxed, calm feeling and overall I really like the look of this. I'm unlikely to buy into this resort since I own at Copper Creek next door, but I would happily book a Reflections villa on some of our trips if the final product looks like this.

Sir_Cliff

Not trolling, but does Fort Wilderness campground give off a WDW vibe?
Hmm, not sure as I've never really spent any time there. That comment is more me trying to figure out if I'm warming to the resort based on these images. As a hotel, it's actually looking pretty ok to me the more images we get. It does, though, seem part of a noticeable break with what would be expected of theme resorts at WDW previously. That said, it is not giving me Central Florida vibes, either, so I guess that says something about the theming? I'm so confused o_O

prberk

Yes, it absolutely does. It think it is probably the last bastion of Walt Disney World as the original resort concept.

It is Frontierland expanded, with Tom Sawyer's influence throughout. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is essentially the Wally Boag Diamond Horseshoe Disneyland show expanded to be a traveling medicine show like the Royal Nonesuch in the book "Huckleberry Finn." It was the first resort to have nightly movies, and a campfire (which featured Chip and Dale usually) -- and much of it throwing in a little "Spin and Marty" (summer ranch serial on the Mickey Mouse Club, where the "Triple R Ranch" name came from). You can ride horses and rent boats -- all since Day One.

It even started with a train that ran through it. And the nightly water parade comes by the marina.

So, yes, it is about as Walt Disney World (as a themed resort that played off Walt's imagination) as you are going to get.

Last edited:

ABQ

To me and many others Ft. Wilderness IS Disney.
It is absolutely over flowing with that old school Disney vibe and charm.
Much more so than most things they have built in the 21 century. All in my opinion anyway.
Certainly, something like the Hoop Dee Doo gives me that feel, but the campgrounds themselves, are not very different than many other campsites I've been to. The new stables don't have a frontier era look to them, that's for sure, but they don't look bad, in fact they look nice, and perhaps will be the bridge between the look of the new resort and the look of the campgrounds.

prberk

PHOTO - Concept art of new Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort

Looks too modern for Fort Wilderness. It can BE modern but look 1880s to match the resort.

But once again, they seem to have no love for this theme, or any detailed theme for that matter, these days.

Fort Wilderness is a beautifully themed Western resort, with a settlement and outpost, separated by wooded trails and waterways, all reminiscent of the 1880s. Perfectly done. The ranch matched before. It should be updated for function, but made to match the 1880s Western theme.

By the way, @wdwmagic , I think this update to the ranch and related comments should be a different thread. Fort Wilderness it a separate resort from Reflections.

Last edited:

ABQ

Yes, it absolutely does. It think it is probably the last bastion of Walt Disney World as the original resort.

It is Frontierland expanded, with Tom Sawyer's influence throughout. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is essentially the Wally Boag Diamond Horseshoe Disneyland show expanded to be a traveling medicine show like the Royal Nonesuch in the book "Huckleberry Finn." It was the first resort to have nightly movies, and a campfire (which featured Chip and Dale usually) -- and much of it throwing in a little "Spin and Marty" (summer ranch serial on the Mickey Mouse Club, where the "Triple R Ranch" name came from). You can ride horses and rent boats -- all since Day One.

It even started with a train that ran through it. And the nightly water parade comes by the marina.

So, yes, it is about as Walt Disney World (as a themed resort that played off Walt's imagination) as you are going to get.
I'm responding out of order, which isn't helping, but my question was more focused the campsites themselves more than the amenities surrounding. As with these new hotel images were, I guess those I was looking at, the rooms more than the surroundings. Again, as above, Hoop Dee Doo it amazing, and I do hope it stays around and Pioneer Hall isn't leveled and replaced with expanded restrooms.

tirian

Great find Dan as usual!

I for one am happy about this permit. While I loved River Country as a child, this site has sadly fallen apart over the years. This is a great location and it should be developed. Great views and close to MK, it would be a good place to stay (hotel or DVC).

Hopefully, WDI comes up with a plan similar in scope and size to the previous proposals for this area. I hope they do not put up another 10 plus story bland tower. However, a hotel which fits into the Western-theme of Ft. Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge could be a great addition.
Just not another cookie-cutter, ugly tower...

GladToBeHear

Yes. It's the only resort we've ever stayed in, going back to my childhood. It IS Disney World. You can spend an entire week just in the campground without going to a park and you still feel like you've visited WDW.

Again, I don't mind the design of the new resort. I just wish it was across the lake (or somewhere else on property).

ImperfectPixie

Looks too modern for Fort Wilderness. It can BE modern but look 1880s to match the resort.

But once again, they seem to have no love for this theme, or any detailed theme for that matter, these days.

Fort Wilderness is a beautifully themed Western resort, with a settlement and outpost, separated by wooded trails and waterways, all reminiscent of the 1880s. Perfectly done. The ranch matched before. It should be updated for function, but made to match the 1880s Western theme.

By the way, @wdwmagic , I think this update to the ranch and related comments should be a different thread. Fort Wilderness it a separate resort from Reflections.
If I'm not mistaken, the ranch is moving across the street and will be closer (I think?) to the Reflections resort than Fort Wilderness, so it makes sense for it to match that aesthetic.

TrainsOfDisney

Ft. Wilderness is, more specifically, the definition of Walt Disney World. It’s spread out and takes advantage of the luxury of space. You can watch fireworks from the beach, take a boat to the magic kingdom, wilderness lodge, or contemporary. You can just walk around and enjoy the vibe that is both a real world place, and also a fantasy land that doesn’t really exist in time.

Hoop dee Doo is a great example of that classic Disney world experience. It’s family friendly, completely Disney, and yet there isn’t a single Disney character to be found.

I wish I could have visited when the steam trains were running and you could visit discovery island and river country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom