News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
With Copper Creek still for sale and the Riviera not for sale yet, I’m thinking this isn’t DVC, but perhaps the long ago rumored moderate resort; Wilderness Junction. With just four moderates, there is probably a need for more room inventory in this category; especially with French Quarter being small and Caribbean Beach loosing rooms.

I think it would fit in well in between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness in terms of theming and resort category.
This makes logical sense for sure,I'd love a new option along MK

Gringrinngghost

Do you think they will revitalize part of River Country as the new resort pool area a la Stormalong Bay?
No.

In 2004, the Florida Department of Health passed the requirement that required that prohibited the use of natural water bodies. It stated that the water required chlorination and that it has to be potable 'drinkable' by the time it hits the pool, for water park use. As @marni1971 said in the past The River Country's filtration system took water from Bay Lake, filtered it, then released it into the lagoon via the water slides. The lagoon wasn't connected to Bay Lake; an inflatable wall kept the lagoon separate and slightly higher in level than the lake. The park's water would flow over the wall back into the lake.

In 2016 River Country has had moderate work done, in the form of draining and filling Upstream Plunge, the 330,000 gallon pool during the Zika virus outbreak. Disney said the work at River Country was unrelated to Zika.

Also to add, after 15+ years of no upkeep, it's really badly damaged beyond anything being salvaged

Last edited:

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Ladies and Gentleman,

It looks like the Myst Theme Park has finally gotten funding. Yes, that fantastic computer game from the 90's is now becoming your 5th gate. You asked for it and the pencil pusher shall give. We all know Disney likes to take their time with IPs. The location shown on permits will be a parking lot for said theme park.

It will cost $15,000 a day and only allow one person at a time.

Who remembers this rumor of yesterday???

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With Copper Creek still for sale and the Riviera not for sale yet, I’m thinking this isn’t DVC, but perhaps the long ago rumored moderate resort; Wilderness Junction. With just four moderates, there is probably a need for more room inventory in this category; especially with French Quarter being small and Caribbean Beach loosing rooms.

I think it would fit in well in between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness in terms of theming and resort category.

I doubt any resort built on this site would be open for at least 3-4 years. Fits well with DVC's sales strategy and timing.

tissandtully

Ugh, I do hate the idea of any massive structure being built in that area, I like the wooded surroundings and want them to stay. I hope it's just something they had to do prior to filling in the former River Country and little more.
Oh you mean like the huge Four Seasons you can see from almost all of FW?

tissandtully

Disney have filed a SFWMD permit today to do geotech boring for "project 89". You can see in the image below that this is near Ft Wilderness of both sides of the old River County site. These borings are done to determine the soil structure in a area where they plan to build.

View attachment 268624
Sorry if this has been answered, but what has the ongoing construction next to FW parking lot been all this time?

nickys

Premium Member
I purchased Copper Creek points the day it went on sale. I am planning on buying Riviera points in 2019 and that should sell out quickly with direct access to HS. They do need a new resort to sell in 2021 with all the crowds and having a resort already built and ready to be sold in 2021 is needed.

It was your view that a new deluxe-DVC combo on Bay Lake was needed that I was referring to. I don't understand why it has to be there particularly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is it safe to assume they are only drilling on either side of the River Country plot because they already know what is under River Country and thus don't need to test there?
Possibly. I can't see them not testing before plan would be finalized, but if they are just in a quoting stage they could use old survey data.

There is also the possibility that they simply are not building anything of note on the old site.

tl77

Do you think they will revitalize part of River Country as the new resort pool area a la Stormalong Bay?
I was thinking something like this would be pretty cool... Having some type of water/pool area between this hotel and Wilderness Lodge like Stormalong Bay between The Yacht and Beach Clubs. It could be that's what the permit is about, because looks like this permit doesn't line up with the 2011 YouTube video on the first page of this thread. That resort, was to be built on top of River Country, The Bar B Que area and the Tri-Circle Stables, the areas marked off in the new permit are all along side and outside what would have be the foot print of that unbuilt resort.

At one time there were plans to build a small train to connect the Wilderness Lodge to the Fort Wilderness Campground similar to the original small train that ran around the campground in the 1970's, there is currently a running/walking path in between the 2 places now, that in the Christmas season had a horse drawn carriage ride along that same path

aladdin2007

I agree would be nice if they went with that original plan, they could use another more affordable option, which dvc is not but have a feeling thats what it is since TDO is a real estate company after all :rolleyes:. But please no more high rises.

...it's a yungle

Accurate?

EE1B3886-4CE3-4C67-AD0D-2589314B1293.jpeg
658C64C3-A957-4C92-AFC6-B4C3A9301BBD.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom