News Red Car Trolley to close in early 2025

mickEblu

Personally, I think the 'neighborhoods' approach has a lot to do with it. It was a misstep turning one themed area into a collage that is linked intellectually but not aesthetically.

Yeah I don’t think this was necessary but again it doesn’t really change my experience or my perception of the land.

JSouth25

Yup. My thoughts exactly. If Pixar Pier replaced a Paradise Pier that looked like that concept art I would be upset. I’m more upset that Pixar Pier killed any hope of receiving the pier in that concept art than I am with its execution.
Looking at this with a glass half full, the pier’s already been redone twice, it could always get redone again in the future, but I don’t see it happening with the current IP-obsessed leadership.

MoonRakerSCM

Bing Bong's is definitely the best aesthetic upgrade as they replaced the 2001 storefronts, but like the rest of Pixar Pier its still garish. For every band stand, there's a chicken Poultry Palace.
View attachment 811912

I always adored this concept art for Paradise Pier. The chrome trains on Screamin, the new entrance for the Fun Wheel, the flag capped pinnacles, the building where the bandstand now sits (looks like it would have been some sort of theater with a show). Pixar Pier may have had a few good updates, but I'll always look back on this and wish it had been what we received.
View attachment 811915
It's the stuff like this that really leads to the positive situation the park and fandom were in at that time... due ti what they had done with DCA 2.0, we were excited... we were optomistic... even with the Pixar theme, we got a fair amount of this image... even though say the wrap around boardwalk around the fun wheel didnt happen, it was still possible as an update... because we were optomiatic.

Now things are not optimistic as Imagineering is not showing care for things that make a theme park more than an amusement park.

Consumer

It's the stuff like this that really leads to the positive situation the park and fandom were in at that time... due ti what they had done with DCA 2.0, we were excited... we were optomistic... even with the Pixar theme, we got a fair amount of this image...
Looking at the concept art, I noticed the banner advertised a "Boardwalk candy Palace." I guess we got that in a way with Bing Bong's.

One other thing to note about that piece of concept art is that it is real art. Unlike most concept art Disney releases today that's done in photoshop, this piece evokes an emotion and creates a sense of place. Man, I miss when Disney was good at what it did.

MistaDee

I hope it gets replaced with a freeway.
"History does not repeat itself, but often it rhymes"
After thinking about this for a bit, I can accept that this was for a good reason at least, but I really do hope it comes back in the future. The red car trolley is really symbolic of DCA 2.0, and the park’s already lost a bunch of its “California” theming. I wish I could freeze in time DCA 2.0 from 2012-2015, it was such a fantastic park.
What I miss most about DCA 2.0 and the 2012-15 period wasn't so much the actual park, which I'd say was still very weak compared to Disneyland and even Islands of Adventure. It was the feeling of hope and optimism from an Imagineering team that seemed to have a clear vision of how to make the California theme really work as a beautifully themed, immersive space.

Paradise Pier was great in 2012. It definitely still needed a few touch ups, but the boardwalk was one of my favorite spots in all of DCA. The music, the popcorn lighting, the kinetic energy, the original World of Color. It really felt like another part of Main Street USA. I get that people will always hate the "unthemed" carnival rides, but the land itself was incredibly atmospheric in a way that Pixar Pier simply isn't.
View attachment 811889

Hollywood Land was the stinker of DCA 2.0, but Tower of Terror and the Red Car Trolleys helped carry the land. There were plans for a remodel of the Hyperion, as well as other aesthetic changes for the land that would have greatly elevated it. Had Bob Chapek not replaced Tom Staggs, it's very likely we would have seen those changes implemented, just like we had seen with Condor Flats becoming Grizzly Peak in 2015.
Do you recall any of the rumored changes from that period? I remember a Monsters Inc door coaster being rumored to create a little mini land in the backlot and speculation about a Muppets Great Movie Ride or a trackless Movie Ride but I don't think those were ever moving beyond the conceptual phase.

It's the stuff like this that really leads to the positive situation the park and fandom were in at that time... due ti what they had done with DCA 2.0, we were excited... we were optomistic... even with the Pixar theme, we got a fair amount of this image... even though say the wrap around boardwalk around the fun wheel didnt happen, it was still possible as an update... because we were optomiatic.

Now things are not optimistic as Imagineering is not showing care for things that make a theme park more than an amusement park.

Yeah this really resonates with me. I think there's ways to make the California theme work, which died after DCA 2.0. Maybe it's copium, but conceptually I think it's also possible to make the more abstract "Disney Adventure" in California theme still deliver immersive themed worlds, albeit without as strong of a unifying idea behind them.

DarkMetroid567

I enjoy what Pixar Pier did to Paradise Pier — I think it made it a far more interesting and unique place without losing the charm that 2.0 Pier had.

But was it worth Incredicoaster? No. Def no.

trainplane3

I enjoy what Pixar Pier did to Paradise Pier — I think it made it a far more interesting and unique place without losing the charm that 2.0 Pier had.

But was it worth Incredicoaster? No. Def no.
Honest question about Incredicoaster here. I could barely hear anything and when I did, it was just the characters yelling about stuff. The music was so buried behind all the talking to the point that it was nearly inaudible. Is this a common issue on it? I get it's a old attraction and all that.

Consumer

Do you recall any of the rumored changes from that period? I remember a Monsters Inc door coaster being rumored to create a little mini land in the backlot and speculation about a Muppets Great Movie Ride or a trackless Movie Ride but I don't think those were ever moving beyond the conceptual phase.
I don't remember there being a lot of substantial rumors. Monstropolis was definitely one but I never gave much weight to it. Up until Mission Breakout's announcement, the majority of rumors never seemed to materialize (which is why I doubted MB was a real thing until it was).

The official plans that were revealed mostly were just aesthetic changes to the land, most notably with the Hyperion and the Animation Academy. Besides these two pieces of concept art, there was also a model revealed of the planned new façade for the Hyperion. But for the most part it was just replacing signage, new paint, and the likes that Pacific Wharf, Condor Flats, and Grizzly Peak all received - definitely nothing as major as Paradise Pier's makeover. Even though these plans wouldn't have solved all of Hollywood Land's problems, they certainly would have done a lot to help it.
1724801272404.png

1724801276441.png

While looking for these pieces of concept art, I found old construction photos from DCA's remodel. Really made me nostalgic. I joined Disney forums back in ~2011 to follow construction updates.

DavidDL

Honest question about Incredicoaster here. I could barely hear anything and when I did, it was just the characters yelling about stuff. The music was so buried behind all the talking to the point that it was nearly inaudible. Is this a common issue on it? I get it's a old attraction and all that.

You're not alone in your experience. They replaced an absolutely killer music track with a bunch of shouting about Jack-Jack and the Incredibles theme buried somewhere underneath it all. It's almost impressive how they managed to make the coaster worse with the Pixar Pier transformation. Less definitely went way further when it came to California Screamin'.

trainplane3

You're not alone in your experience. They replaced an absolutely killer music track with a bunch of shouting about Jack-Jack and the Incredibles theme buried somewhere underneath it all. It's almost impressive how they managed to make the coaster worse with the Pixar Pier transformation. Less definitely went way further when it came to California Screamin'.
I was well aware of Screamin's soundtrack and how great it was. I listened to Incredicoasters before my trip too and man it's just bad in person.

MistaDee

I don't remember there being a lot of substantial rumors. Monstropolis was definitely one but I never gave much weight to it. Up until Mission Breakout's announcement, the majority of rumors never seemed to materialize (which is why I doubted MB was a real thing until it was).

The official plans that were revealed mostly were just aesthetic changes to the land, most notably with the Hyperion and the Animation Academy. Besides these two pieces of concept art, there was also a model revealed of the planned new façade for the Hyperion. But for the most part it was just replacing signage, new paint, and the likes that Pacific Wharf, Condor Flats, and Grizzly Peak all received - definitely nothing as major as Paradise Pier's makeover. Even though these plans wouldn't have solved all of Hollywood Land's problems, they certainly would have done a lot to help it.
View attachment 811971
View attachment 811972

While looking for these pieces of concept art, I found old construction photos from DCA's remodel. Really made me nostalgic. I joined Disney forums back in ~2011 to follow construction updates.

Thank you for digging these up! I remember that first piece of concept art especially - felt like there were so many possibilities for a classic, 1920s Golden Age of Hollywood land that was worthy of its subject matter

I also first got into the forums leading into the DCA 2.0 announcements, so fun to speculate and imagine what they might do

JSouth25

If they could have kept muppets 3d - that little backlot would have been a wonderful muppet studios. A simple muppet dark ride (like monsters is) along with live performances on the stage and strolling acts like Mobile Labs. That would have been my dream.
I miss Muppet Vision 3D a lot. I hope Florida keeps their’s, but if they end up losing it, at least it’ll be for a pretty cool looking Monstropolis and not a freaking Frozen sing-along.

JSouth25

View attachment 811971
View attachment 811972

I remember following the updates on MiceChat and being excited when each phase was done. I had so much optimism for the park back then, it’s sad to think some of the great work they did has been undone by creative bankruptcy and greed.

TrainsOfDisney

I miss Muppet Vision 3D a lot. I hope Florida keeps their’s, but if they end up losing it, at least it’ll be for a pretty cool looking Monstropolis and not a freaking Frozen sing-along.
That was a weird and sneaky thing that I still don’t understand.

I was honestly fine with the temporary sing- along. They needed a quick frozen fix and you needed an indoor theatre to do that show - ideally it would have been somewhere else but it was fine at the time.

But why didn’t they bring muppets back? If they had given them a proper marquee like they did for Philharmagic I’m quite certain it would have been well attended!

Chef idea Mickey`=

Aww you guys at DCA 2.0 had a wonderful Walt era kinetic ambience thing with that Red Trolley. So surprised to see this announcement coming just after the Liberty Bell. I thought it be cool also if Disney's Hollywood Studios had one. It wasn't long time ago I remember like they brought this back to service.. so sad for nostalgia once again. :(

JSouth25

That was a weird and sneaky thing that I still don’t understand.

I was honestly fine with the temporary sing- along. They needed a quick frozen fix and you needed an indoor theatre to do that show - ideally it would have been somewhere else but it was fine at the time.

But why didn’t they bring muppets back? If they had given them a proper marquee like they did for Philharmagic I’m quite certain it would have been well attended!
I agree. I held out hope they’d bring it back since most of the props in the queue were just hidden and still seemed to be there, but then they came out with Philharmagic. Philharmagic is fine, and I’m glad there’s something there, but I really wish they’d bring the Muppets back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom