recent trip observtions

1) in the scene of carousell of progress....with the niagra falls fan....during the heatwave(2nd scenen i believe) the guy has 2 left shoes on!!

2) will rogers in AA his hand o tip back his hat doesnt work so the hat goes back automatically

NOW FOR THE WORST ONE!!!

3) The back of Mt Everest is NOT cpmlete!! and is plainly visible from the parking lot!!! god awful...in disney turns..walt is probably turning in his grave

more to come when i think of them

JML42691

...3) The back of Mt Everest is NOT cpmlete!! and is plainly visible from the parking lot!!! god awful...in disney turns..walt is probably turning in his grave...
I personally do not mind this, the fact that you cannot see this when in the park makes it a little bit better. If they were to finish the back of the mountain, then they would of had to spend many more millions of dollars. The mountain side facade is made of thickly layered cement and to do the entire back of the mountain would of put AK's budget down to none. They had to wait several months just to make sure that they had enough funds to paint the back of the mountain. Evntually the trees from the parking lot will grow and this will become unnoticeable. I think that they should of built some sort of wall like the one in the following link (the picture is from behind IOA in Orlando) along the parking lot's edge behind the tree berm. You have to look close enough to realize that it is a wall in the picture.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=nrc1ch869dnr&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3909183&encType=1

Kadee

There is at least one grammatical error in the new automated spiel for "Living With the Land." There were a few others in other rides, but I just can't remember them right now. I just got back yesterday and I am EXTREMELY tiired.

I know....I'm sad for even noticing that, but it goes with the job....I'm a teacher (science teacher, not English, so my spelling isn't great).

doombuggie

Original Poster
:brick:
Okay....I'll ask....what's the point of this thread?

um to state some observations from my trip....

btw i got back yesterdy too!! and I am a teacher too!! haha

i think the show building IS a big deal...it ruins themagic..old school disney would never do this! they would budget it so it would be ok from everywhere...i first noticed it from the top of summit plummet....and thought that it was only notciable from there...but....no fromt he parking lot?@?@?@ rediculous...disney is slipping...and to add event ough it has its own thread......Fiesta was AWFUL....not a good refurb at all!! tomorrow land has tunred into a new fantasy land...and epcot...has turned into a magic kingdom wannabe park......

i hate change!!!

CTXRover

Last I saw, the back of Everest had been painted to resemble a temple built into the mountains. I found it to be an effective paint job from the parking lot (I have not seen it from Blizzard yet). While still obvious it is a flat back, it is much more appealing than the original beige wall or the dark stone colored wall that was tried first to cover it up. Disney is aware of their site lines, but they are also aware that spending millions to carve a mountain side for what is seen only from a few select distanct points is not money well spent. I thought the temple idea was quite ingenious and evidence to me that they were cognizant of that "bad show" of a flat back wall when Everest was being built.

The idea that "old school" Disney would not do such a thing is rediculous imo. At Disneyland for years, the huge green show building for Indiana Jones was visible from the parking lot until it was painted with 'trees' when DTD was built and the backside of Toontown is visible from the streets that circle the Disneyland Resort (I realize the space differences between DL and WDW make it more difficult to hide these things at DL, but it is all Disney Imagineers that build these things). Many of World Showcases pavilions' 'backsides' are visible from the main road that runs behind it, as are some of the Future World pavilions' backsides from Epcot's parking lot (primarly the bus lots come to mind).

Everest was built very much the same way Splash Mountain was built. While not a problem with Splash since the backside is not visible from anywhere, the idea is similar. Theme what needs to be themed. The backside of Everest is visible from a few points in AK's parking lot, the top of Blizzard and some of the top stories of Swan and Dolphin and the Contemporary with a zoom. The paint job to make it look like a temple built into the side of the mountain helped alot to cover the fact it was simply a wall, imo

JML42691

Last I saw, the back of Everest had been painted to resemble a temple built into the mountains. I found it to be an effective paint job from the parking lot (I have not seen it yet from Blizzard yet). While still obvious it is a flat back, it is much more appealing that the original beige wall or the stone colored wall that was tried. Disney is aware of their site lines, but they are also aware that spending millions to carve a mountain side for what is seen only from a few select distanct points is not money well spent. I thought the temple idea was quite ingenious and evidence to me that they were cognizant of that "bad show" of a flat back wall when Everest was being built.

The idea that "old school" Disney would not do such a thing is rediculous imo. At Disneyland for years, the huge green show building for Indiana Jones was visible from the parking lot until it was painted with 'trees' when DTD was built and the backside of Toontown is visible from the streets that circle the Disneyland Resort (I realize the space differences between DL and WDW make it more difficult to hide these things at DL, but it is all Disney Imagineers that build these things). Many of World Showcases pavilions' 'backsides' are visible from the main road behind that runs behind it, as are some of the Future WOrld pavilions' backsides from Epcot's parking lot (primarly the bus lots come to mind)

Everest was built very much the same way Splash Mountain was built. While not a problem there since the backside is not visible from anywhere, the idea is similar. Theme what needs to be themed. The backside of Everest is visible from a few points in AK's parking lot, the top of Blizzard and some of the top stories of Swan and Dolphin with a zoom. The paint job to make it look like a temple built into the side of the mountain helped alot to cover the fact it was simply a wall. Why are we still discussing this?
Very good points, the magic is in the parks and the area right by the enterences. The magic exists if you don't see it from the park. It would be bad show if you could see the show building from the park. Kind of like being able to see the back of Mexico from the Test Track turn around.

CTXRover

i think the show building IS a big deal...it ruins themagic..old school disney would never do this! they would budget it so it would be ok from everywhere...i first noticed it from the top of summit plummet....and thought that it was only notciable from there...but....no fromt he parking lot?@?@?@ rediculous...disney is slipping...and to add event ough it has its own thread......Fiesta was AWFUL....not a good refurb at all!! tomorrow land has tunred into a new fantasy land...and epcot...has turned into a magic kingdom wannabe park......

i hate change!!!

Quite the pessimist, aren't we ;) Any good, fun observations or is this just another complaint thread?

doombuggie

Original Poster
Last I saw, the back of Everest had been painted to resemble a temple built into the mountains. I found it to be an effective paint job from the parking lot (I have not seen it from Blizzard yet). While still obvious it is a flat back, it is much more appealing than the original beige wall or the dark stone colored wall that was tried first to cover it up. Disney is aware of their site lines, but they are also aware that spending millions to carve a mountain side for what is seen only from a few select distanct points is not money well spent. I thought the temple idea was quite ingenious and evidence to me that they were cognizant of that "bad show" of a flat back wall when Everest was being built.

The idea that "old school" Disney would not do such a thing is rediculous imo. At Disneyland for years, the huge green show building for Indiana Jones was visible from the parking lot until it was painted with 'trees' when DTD was built and the backside of Toontown is visible from the streets that circle the Disneyland Resort (I realize the space differences between DL and WDW make it more difficult to hide these things at DL, but it is all Disney Imagineers that build these things). Many of World Showcases pavilions' 'backsides' are visible from the main road that runs behind it, as are some of the Future World pavilions' backsides from Epcot's parking lot (primarly the bus lots come to mind).

Everest was built very much the same way Splash Mountain was built. While not a problem with Splash since the backside is not visible from anywhere, the idea is similar. Theme what needs to be themed. The backside of Everest is visible from a few points in AK's parking lot, the top of Blizzard and some of the top stories of Swan and Dolphin and the Contemporary with a zoom. The paint job to make it look like a temple built into the side of the mountain helped alot to cover the fact it was simply a wall, imo

actually you are wrong..cause when epcot was built(old school disney) there wasnt a road..that ran behind the countries...AND they put in the swan and dolphin..which ruined the horizon of the orld showcase....(start of stupid lazy runin the effect new disney)

splashmountain isnt comparable cause you cant see it from outside the park....i just think it is very pooor on their part to do this and they are doing it more and more(i.e. lazy...lack of thought and care another example is the new water coaster in Typhoon...no theming for the stairs...and the flume is abouth 15 seconds long...)

on a good note..they made living seas enjoyable(even though i am contradicting my earlier point of bringing characters into epcot) Nemo was very well done and a HUGE upgrade over the 10 second ride that was the living seas!

doombuggie

Original Poster
ps....sorry bout the complaining....i just love the old school disney...and HATE change(unless it is outstanding).....been going twice a year since 78..so...(and i live in RI)

CTXRover

actually you are wrong..cause when epcot was built(old school disney) there wasnt a road

While technically true, that road has been there for how many years now and people never complained about it (but I imagine they would have if online message boards were available when it was built) I don't know when it was built exactly, but it probably has been there longer than the period of time that Epcot sat there without it and the sightlines have never been a problem (which was my point). The Swan and Dolphin looming over World Showcase though, as you mentioned, has bugged me since they were built and is 100X worse imo than the back of Everest, even before it was painted to resemble a 3-dimensional temple.

doombuggie

Original Poster
yeah i ever meant for this to be a rant thread...i was just startled when i saw it....ah well..what you gonna do...i keep goin back dont i?? hahaha

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
ps....sorry bout the complaining....i just love the old school disney...and HATE change(unless it is outstanding).....been going twice a year since 78..so...(and i live in RI)

So in your opinion, WDW should look the same way now as it did in 1971? No Epcot, Studios, Animal Kingdom, not to mention all the resorts...

Should they never add a new attraction?

Change is inevitable...

doombuggie

Original Poster
i guess you didnt read your qupting of me too well...i said unless outstanding....i.e. Epcot, Studios(even though they arent change to current parks) splash M, new pirates, newer(eventhough older truly) carosel, r and r, tt....nemo, nemos musical, small world facade, all good stuff...trust me there is more...alot more

the bad: new tomorrowland, epcot in general, Test track, Ellens energy, Journey, space(compared to horizons) , the wand, the hat, there is more trust me a lot more..hahah

please everyone take this with a grain of salt!! just my opinion......change is good..just not to classic things...and when it compromisies(again my opinion) what disney is all about.....and meant to be

DisneyChik17

Well, gramitically(sp? LOL!) I noticed a few things.
  • The bead spreads at the POP all have apostraphies in the decades, which are not correct.
  • At Liberty Tree Tavern, on the glasses, the apostraphie is after the "76" when it should come before

Nemo14

i hate change!!!
I have to ask this - what do you teach??????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom