Reasons for separate MDE accounts?

NelleBelle

Original Poster
My 2 boys are now of an age where they may not want to hang around with us the entire trip. Is there a reason they should have their own MDE accounts? They will be 18 and one will turn 16 when we visit this summer.

nickys

Premium Member
The main reason would be so that they can do things like mobile order without having to sign on as you.

You can give them your sign on details for MDE but that also means that they are “you”. How comfortable are you with that?

Or you can actually not give them the sign on details, but that may limit where they could order something to eat - there have been reports of CMs not allowing walk-ups even where guests have not had access to mobile ordering. Whether that is wide spread now I’m not sure.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
So I was able to create an acct for my 17yo (he turns 18 next month); the 15yo I'm unable to make the acct...MDE says "Sorry, unable to create an account" and kicks me off. I'm guessing he has to be over 16?? Either way, as long as my older son has an acct to be able to mobile order when they're not with us, I think they'll be fine--although it is irritating he can't have his own account.

nickys

Premium Member
Also of course, if you plan to use Genie+ they will need a sign on to be able to book for themselves. If they are “you” that means they could inadvertently delete yours.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Also of course, if you plan to use Genie+ they will need a sign on to be able to book for themselves. If they are “you” that means they could inadvertently delete yours.
This'll be the first trip using the infamous "genie" services...I imagine since we'll be there in July, we'll be taking advantage of Genie+ some part of our stay and we definitely don't need to have them screwing up our plans! Should they be ok if only one of them has an acct? I guessing I can add the 15yo to his brother's acct by having him be "shared"?

Rob562

As far as I know the minimum age for a MDE account is 13, so no reason the 15yo should be blocked from having one.

But if you just want to leave it at the 17yo having their own account, they should friend-request the 15yo that's listed on your account so they can break off from you and use the 17yo's login.

-Rob

NelleBelle

Original Poster
As far as I know the minimum age for a MDE account is 13, so no reason the 15yo should be blocked from having one.

But if you just want to leave it at the 17yo having their own account, they should friend-request the 15yo that's listed on your account so they can break off from you and use the 17yo's login.

-Rob
This is what MDE gives me when I try to create his account...
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 4.51.04 PM.png

Rob562

This is what MDE gives me when I try to create his account...
View attachment 614218

Hmmm... Just got that myself when I tried to make an account using a birthdate that'd make them 13yo.

Searching the Disney site gives conflicting info, where some parts imply it's 13 or older, and others saying 16.

So your son maybe out of luck until they're 16.

-Rob

correcaminos

Hmmm... Just got that myself when I tried to make an account using a birthdate that'd make them 13yo.

Searching the Disney site gives conflicting info, where some parts imply it's 13 or older, and others saying 16.

So your son maybe out of luck until they're 16.

-Rob
That is very weird that they changed it. I just created a profile for my kid when they turned 13 last year. I ran a test and it gave me same error. Quite odd... wonder why they did it.

Edit: and now I tried to log into my kid's account and it says I cannot on the website but can in MDE. Um... what the heck?

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

Is creating a "profile" for a 13 yo on an account held by an older account holder somehow different than creating an "account" for a 13 yo by his or her self?

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I think so…I want my 15yr old to be able to mobile order on his own when he’s not with me (he has his own bank acct) as well as book rides without the chance of screwing up my DAS times (don’t want to risk the 2 teens doing something like that).
May try to see him up on the mobile app though…

Rob562

Is creating a "profile" for a 13 yo on an account held by an older account holder somehow different than creating an "account" for a 13 yo by his or her self?

Yes. As it used to be (and apparently is still supposed to be), all children under the age of 13 can only exist as a "managed by..." profile under someone else's account (a parent's for example). But children age 13+ are *supposed* to be able to have their own account with their own logins.

If they're taking over control of a pre-existing "managed by" profile of them under their parent's account, the easiest way is to have the child sign up for their own account with their own email address. The parent then "friend requests" them by filling in the kid's email address under the kid's "managed by" listing on their account. Once the kid accepts it, anything that's linked to the "managed by parent" profile (tickets, MagicBands, etc) moves over and it now under control of the kid.

But apparently there's been a semi-recent change in creating that brand new account for the kid and the varying age cutoff when doing it through different sites/apps.

-Rob

correcaminos

I think so…I want my 15yr old to be able to mobile order on his own when he’s not with me (he has his own bank acct) as well as book rides without the chance of screwing up my DAS times (don’t want to risk the 2 teens doing something like that).
May try to see him up on the mobile app though…
Hope this worked for you. Not sure what the glitch is with the website. I had it definitely work with a made up account the day I tried it. My kid has MDE on his phone too that is separate from mine.

Having kids separate is good because they cannot accidentally mess with plans - including dining - on accident.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
So I was able to have my 15yo make an acct for himself on the mobile app. I had him send me an invite to "connect" with him, which I accepted. So now there are two accounts for each of my kids that show up in my "friends and family" list. Should I just leave both of them alone for the time being??

Rob562

So I was able to have my 15yo make an acct for himself on the mobile app. I had him send me an invite to "connect" with him, which I accepted. So now there are two accounts for each of my kids that show up in my "friends and family" list. Should I just leave both of them alone for the time being??

No. It will cause issues since MDE now sees two different versions of him. *You* should have friend requested *him*.

To fix: Have him unfriend you. Then go into your account and under his entry (which should be the only one left) fill in his email. Then he accepts the invite.

-Rob

NelleBelle

Original Poster
No. It will cause issues since MDE now sees two different versions of him. *You* should have friend requested *him*.

To fix: Have him unfriend you. Then go into your account and under his entry (which should be the only one left) fill in his email. Then he accepts the invite.

-Rob
Looks like everything is squared away as far as I can tell. The account I had for them previously both said "mstr...." and now it just states their name and "mstr" has been removed from beside their names. I'm also appearing in both their accounts. The youngest I had to access his email through my phone and have him accept the invite through the app and not through the link it gives you when you accept the invite (for those who. might be trying to do this in the future). So a huge THANK YOU for helping me skirt around this ridiculous change in their rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom