Really Long Spring Break Trip Report

RPMdfw

I can’t believe that I’ve already been home from WDW for more than a week. How is it that I work extra hours before I go on vacation to make sure everything is done before I go, leave for one week and find myself three weeks behind when I get back? Can someone please explain that to me?

Let me apologize in advance for the fact that this is one LONG trip report, but there is just so much to report and tend to go on and on anyway.

I guess the first thing I should do is introduce you to our cast of characters (and what characters we are, too)
Me--I’m Rob, a 34 year old gay guy from Dallas, Texas
Mom and Dad--my parents, living in Lubbock, Texas. We’re celebrating their 35th Wedding Anniversary by taking this family vacation to WDW
Dennis--my brother, he’s a couple years younger than me and lives in Durango, Colorado where he is the executive chef for one of the best restaurants in town
Amy--Dennis’s girlfriend also living in Durango. Up until this trip, only Mom and Dad had met Amy, but I’d chatted with her on the phone while planning this trip
Sofia--my sister, and a couple years younger than Dennis. She and her fiancé live in Odessa, Texas
Tosh--Sofia’s fiancé. We’ve known Tosh for a couple of years. He’s a great guy.

This trip is the first time we’ve taken a Family vacation in several years.

Well, now that you know who we are, you might want to jot the names and relationships down, so that you can refer back to them without paging up the thread. :lol:

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day One

And now we start with:

DAY ONE – Friday, March 14th

I get up at the ungodly hour of 4am, so that I can catch a cab to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport for a 6:30am flight. The flight was uneventful (if crowded) and we got into Orlando on time at 10:00am. After picking up my luggage and renting a car, I’m off to find the Thriftlodge on Highway 192. I check in, and let me just say that I was very happy I was only staying at this hotel for one night. (It was worth the $19 a night I paid for it. Shudder) From there it’s off to the Magic Kingdom! By the time I get to the park, and upgrade my 7 day parkhopper plus for a premium annual pass, it’s 12:30, and I’ve got the whole afternoon and evening to enjoy doing whatever I want to do before the clan descends on Saturday. The first thing I do is head to Peter Pan’s Flight to pick up a Fastpass. I’ve not ridden this ride on my previous two trips (one day at MK each) and want to see what the fuss is about. From there, it’s off to Tomorrowland to ride the TTA, another ride I’ve not yet ridden. When I get there, I’m told that the TTA is currently down, and I’ll need to come back later. Well, heck. Now my plan is already off track and I haven’t even ridden anything yet. I head back thru Fantasyland trying to figure out what I should do next. At this point my stomach reminds me that it’s been a long time since the granola bar they gave me on the plane, so I stop for a giant pretzel and a Coke and continue my stroll into Liberty Square and down into Frontierland before realizing that the pretzel just wasn’t enough. I figure I’ll wander over to Advetureland and get a Dole Whip.(I’ve heard so much about them on the boards, I figure I’ll try one.) On the way, I notice that the Jungle Cruise has only a 5 minute wait. I vaguely remember the JC at Disneyland from our trip in 1981, but haven’t ridden the one at WDW, so I figure “what the heck”. It cracked me up. I love puns, and the corny humor of the JC is right up my alley. With a smile on my face, I pick up not a Dole Whip, but a Dole Whip Float (Pineapple soft serve with Pineapple Juice) and it really is delicious. My float and I wander back into Frontierland, where I perch myself on a wall and wait for the Share a Dream Come True Parade. I didn’t see the parade last year. I found it enjoyable, and when it was over, it was time to head back and use my FastPass for Pan. Okay this ride is cute, but I can’t see waiting in line for an hour for it. (Then again, I don’t have any little kids). From here, it’s time to head to Epcot so I hop on the monorail, switch to the Epcot line and woosh, I’m there in no time. I need to do some shopping at China and Japan in WS (The 35th Anniversary is Jade, so I figure that I’ll find something for Mom and Dad’s present.) I stop on the way for a beer at the Cantina in Mexico. I browse thru the store at the China pavilion and file away some ideas, specifically a small dragon carved out of white jade. (At some point searching for a jade present on the internet, I remember reading that jade dragons are supposed to protect and bring luck to a home and the family, a tidbit of information that could be completely wrong, but it suits my purpose of finding an anniversary present). I decide to check the department store at the Japan pavilion before I buy anything. Disappointingly, they have no jade whatsoever at the Japanese store. Before heading back to China, I manage to see the American Adventure (another attraction I’ve not yet experienced) and have a wonderful dinner at the Yakatori house. I head back to China, and pick up the little dragon, and have now got the first part of my anniversary present for my parents (the second part comes on Sunday, so you’ll have to keep reading to find out). At this point, the sun has set, and I’m starting to feel the effects of a very long day of travel, so I decide to head over to Downtown Disney to pick up the Bride and Groom mouse hears for my sister and her fiancé (it’s my birthday present to Sofia, whose birthday was the 4th of March) While at Downtown Disney, I also manage to pick up a CD that I’ve been looking for at the Cirque du Soleil shop (the soundtrack to the movie version of Alegria – Amazon no longer has it in stock) and pop into Disney Quest long enough to try the Radio Disney Song Maker (it was too crowded to do much else. At this point, I’ve finished getting the presents I need to get before the family arrives, so I decide to reward myself with a cocktail. I head over to the Adventurer’s Club for a Kungaloosh. It’s my first time at PI and I thoroughly enjoy the Adventurer’s Club and get to participate in the “show” a bit. It’s now past 10pm and I head back to the motel to crash after a 19 hour day.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Two

DAY TWO – Saturday March 15th

I wake up, check out of the Thriftlodge, grab a fast food breakfast, and head over to the Condotels office to pick up the keys to the condo. I’m surprised to find that the condo we’ll be staying in isn’t going to be in the area behind Medieval Times as expected, but in the area behind Splendid China, on the other side of I-4. This is great news, as it’s MUCH closer to WDW and it’s an area I’m more familiar with from last year’s trip. The condo won’t be ready for a while, so I stop at the Marketplace supermarket and pick up some supplies. I’m just finishing up store when Mom calls saying they’ve picked up the mini-van they’ve rented and are on their way from the airport. I give them directions to meet me in the parking lot of the supermarket because it’s very close to the condo and then, they can follow me to it. While they’re en route, I zip over to the Emerald Isle Resort and locate the condo before meeting them. We have a lunch at a great little Chinese place in the shopping center, and head over to the condo. I unload their bags, my bags and the groceries (mostly, water, soda, etc.) while Dad takes pictures of the condo (he’s got a new digital camera, and is enthralled with his new toy), Mom calls to have the Scooter she’s renting for the week delivered to the condo (she has some problems with her back and legs, and has to walk with a cane, but sometimes when it gets too bad or she’s on her feet too much, she needs more than just the cane so we made sure that she’d have a scooter, so she wouldn’t have to miss anything). We relax in the condo living room while waiting for the scooter and I give them their little jade dragon. Mom loves it. By the way, the condo was FANTASTIC. It’s brand new (completed in November) and perfect for what we need. Two master suites with private bathrooms, two other bedrooms that share a bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room and lots of space all for $129 a night for all seven of us, can’t beat it. The only drawback is that since I’m the only “unattached” member of the family, I get stuck with the “children’s” room and have to sleep in a twin bed instead of the queen sized bed I’m used to having all to myself at home; oh well, I’d sleep on the floor if I necessary to go to Disney World. Once the scooter is dropped off and Mom has been given a little lesson on using it; we head off to pick up Sofia and Tosh at the airport, stopping at the liquor store on the way. After we’ve gotten them all settled into the upstairs master suite and given my sister her bride/groom ears (she was REALLY excited by this present, and something tells me I’ll see those ears in October during their wedding weekend at some point) , we head to dinner at Angel’s All You Can Eat Lobster and Prime Rib Buffet at the Holiday Inn. (not my choice) This was okay. Not great, not bad, but overall I wasn’t impressed (of course the fact that I was beginning to get a sinus infection probably wasn’t helping). After dinner we made another stop at the grocery store and then had a pleasant evening just sitting around the condo and chatting until it was time for Mom and Dad to go to bed, and time for Sofia and me to go pick up Dennis and Amy (their flight arrived at 12:05 am) When we got them back to the condo it was 1 am and of course the fact that the whole family was there meant that Mom and Dad got back up to say hello to Dennis and Amy. I went to bed at 1:45 am after another long day, Mom, Dad, Dennis, and Amy were still up talking long after I went to sleep.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Three

DAY THREE – Sunday, March 16th

I’m up at 8am and discover that pretty much everyone else is still asleep. Apparently the plan to “just get up when we get up” means different things to different people. (Not to mention that I’m easily the most excited person in the group, and just can’t sleep). When nobody is making any efforts to get ready by nine (the time when MK opens) I’m starting to get a little antsy. Apparently someone notices this, and we do manage to get everyone up, and ready to go by 10:00. At this point everyone decides that it’d be great to stop someplace and have breakfast. To my credit, my head did not explode at this suggestion, and merely I suggest that we could pick up something to eat when we get into the park (they’ve got a great bakery on Main Street . . .) But it’s decided that this would be a great time to indulge Amy in the one request she’s made and eat at the Waffle House. (She was very excited the night before when she saw it, they don’t have a Waffle House anywhere within 500 miles of Durango and she really likes it). I have to admit that the food at the Waffle House was very good, and once I’ve got some food in my system, I’m not stressing so much either (I must have been having low blood sugar—that can make me a little cranky). We finally make it to the Magic Kingdom at 11:45am. It’s the first time at MK for Mom, Dad, Sofia and Tosh and it’s fun to watch them throughout the day reacting to everything. We stop and have a photo taken on Main Street USA with the Castle behind us and then stroll over to Tomorrowland to ride the TTA. The crowds were the biggest I’ve ever seen in the parks (last year I visited in February and the year before it was early May, so I wasn’t prepared for Spring Break Crowds—even so we never really had a long wait for anything). After TTA, we walked over to Fantasyland to ride IASW. On the way, we stop at a couple carts to shop a little--Amy, Mom, and Sofia pick up hats with Minnie ears and I pick up a Rainbow Mickey Pin. IASW was a walk on, and even though it’s hokey and saccharine sweet, we were all smiling as we walked over to the Haunted Mansion. The stand-by line was more than half and hour, so we picked up fast passes to do it later. Then we caught the 2:00 showing of the Hall of Presidents (and I have to note that we walked into the back of a crowded cue area, but when a CM saw my mother with her cane, they ushered us off to the side, and directly into the auditorium so she didn’t have to fight the crowd. It was little touches like this that really stand out in my mind, mostly because we were all very conscious of making sure Mom was all right and everywhere we went CMs took really good care of her, and that means a lot to me.) The Hall of Presidents show and George W’s speech were very interesting in context of current world events, but it always leaves me feeling very proud of being a citizen of the U.S. The show let out, and we found ourselves in Liberty Square just as the Share a Dream Come True Parade was starting, so we stopped to watch it. After the Parade, we decided to head over to Pirates of the Caribbean, stopping to take in The Tiki Room: Under New Management on the way. After Pirates, we headed back to the Haunted Mansion. When we got done with the HM, there were some rumblings that perhaps it was time for some cocktails. I explained that it was nearly 5pm and the park closed at 7pm, so we really wouldn’t be able to go grab drinks and then come back. So after determining that no one had anything else that they really wanted to ride, we headed over to Main Street to take care of something that Sofia and I had been planning for several weeks: the second part of my anniversary present for Mom and Dad. Back in 1981 when we visited Disneyland, I wanted to get a silhouette of myself done, as I was sitting there, Mom decided she wanted to get them of Dennis and Sofia as well. So, for the past 22 years Mom has had framed set of silhouettes of her three kids, those little cut-outs have been on the wall of 5 different houses over the past two decades, and are something Mom has always talked about being very glad she had.. Now for their 35th Anniversary, and to commemorate this trip, we had silhouettes done again. One of me, one of Dennis and Amy, and one of Tosh and Sofia. Just as we were finishing doing that, it started to rain. So we quickly picked up our pictures at the Exposition Hall and then headed to Downtown Disney for dinner at Bongos (very good and great cocktails, too) and a stroll around DTD before heading back to the condo, and off to bed at 11:30

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Four

DAY FOUR – Monday, March 17th (Saint Patrick’s Day)

Awake at 7:30, I find that I’m not the first person awake today, and once I’ve showered and dressed, Dad and I zoom down Highway 192 to pick up a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast. This made everyone quite happy and has started Krispy Kreme addictions in 3 poor unfortunate souls who’d never before experienced the delight that is a warm Krispy Kreme donut first thing in the morning. Everyone is ready to go and out the door by 10am. Mom, Dad, Dennis, and Amy are taking a quick detour to scout out the location of the Palm Golf Course (where Dad and Dennis have a tee time for Tuesday morning) while Sofia, Tosh, and I head directly to Epcot. Once, there, we head over to the Land to ride Living with the Land (another one I’ve never done before). Just as we are exiting the ride, the others arrive, having successfully driven past the golf course, so we head over to the Imagination Pavilion to ride Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment and see HISTA. We ride JII (I rode it two years ago, after the initial refurb, but before they added Figment back into it, and it’s much better, never having seen the original, I’ve got no idea what it is I’m missing) While we played around a bit in the Imageworks, I decide to pick up a Figment pin and a Figment Lanyard (the lanyard itself is a rainbow strap with a sort of rubberized Figment at the end. I’m thinking that between the Rainbow Mickey pin from Monday and the rainbow lanyard, I should be set for my trip in June.) When we’re done at the Imageworks, Mom and Dad really need to get something to eat (actually we’re all fairly hungry, as donuts are yummy, but not the best fuel for walking around Epcot) so we head over to Germany to eat at the Beirgarten. When we get to Germany; Dennis, Amy, Sofia, and Tosh decide that they don’t want to eat a big meal, but would rather snack they’re way through W.S. Mom and Dad wanted to sit down and eat something substantial, and I (never having eaten at the Beirgarten) decided to eat with them. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere inside (along with the air conditioning) made it a very pleasant experience. After lunch, we went over to China because Mom was looking for a jade ring to go with the jade pendant, bracelet, and earrings that Dad had given her for their anniversary. She found one that went very nicely, but at $250, she wasn’t sure, and told the lady behind the counter she’d think about it. (I told her that once we got around the lagoon, we’d be back). A quick phone call determined that the rest of the family had made their way all the way to Morocco, and we told them we’d meet them there. We stroll over to Morocco to find them waiting for us, having just finished eating or drinking something. A quick glance at the show times guide tells us that we’ll have just enough time for a glass of champagne in France before seeing the Impressions du France movie. After the movie, we stopped at the Patisserie where Mom and I split a napoleon and a chocolate éclair (the others had stuff, too, but I was too busy with the stuff I was eating, I didn’t really notice). Just as we finished, it began to rain. Just as we got to the bridge between France and the UK the sky opened up and it started pouring. We ran over to a group of trees for shelter, and I offered to run and get ponchos, or even back to the store in France that sold umbrellas. Dad however, gets a smug look on his face and says that he doesn’t need anything, at which point he pulls a small bundle from his pack. (A little history on the bundle: A few years ago in San Diego, Mom and Dad caught without raingear when the forecast called for storms, found a shop that sold rainsuits that fold up into little bundles. Mom has used her rain coat several times, but doesn’t have hers with her. Dad has never used his, it’s always in his golf bag until this trip.) He begins to unfold the bundle and says “I have this” at which point I say “sweat pants?” Dad looks down and sure enough, he’s holding a pair of nylon pants. Apparently he and mom bought a set, and mom has had the top, and he’s never discovered until now that he had the bottoms. Dad utters a few choice profanities while Mom, Sofia, Tosh and I are literally doubled over laughing at the look on Dad’s face as he stares at these pants in his hand. Dennis and Amy (who had been over at the smoking section adjacent to the France pavilion )come up and ask what all the commotion is about, which of course just sets us off laughing again as the rain starts to subside. This is easily the funniest thing that happened on our trip, and from then on, Tosh would look over at Dad at various different times and say “You sure you don’t need your pants for this?” which would crack us all up again. (To his credit, Dad can take a joke and laughed along with the rest of us after the first time.) From there, we make our way, wet but smiling, to the UK pavilion where we split up for a little while. Dad, Dennis, and Tosh head over to the Rose and Crown for a pint while Mom, Sofia, Amy and I hit the shops. After shopping for a bit, we meet them at the R&C where I pick up a pint of cider (something that neither Sofia nor Mom has ever tried before, well not the alcoholic kind anyway) and Sofia drinks a “Shamrock” A frozen, green concoction served in a half-yard glass in honor of Saint Patty’s Day. So we all toast the patron saint of the “homeland” (Dad’s side of the family is full-blooded Irish) and enjoy having drinks together (something that we enjoy wherever we are, but for some reason it’s particularly “right” to be at that place on that day, and to be all together.) When we finished at the pub we strolled over to see “Honey, Shrunk the Audience” (another first for me) which is quite an interesting experience when the entire family has just the slightest buzz going. After HISTA we went over to Test Track, but decided that the line was too long and Tosh (who races stock cars for fun in Odessa on the weekends) says “Heck, I drive faster than that in my car on the track at home”. So we head over to the Living Seas for a very pleasant relaxing stroll through the exhibits and the aquarium. By this time it’s 6:30 in the evening and we need to decide what we want to do for dinner and stake out a place for Illuminations before it’s too much later. Since Mom has decided that she does want to buy the jade ring in China, we decide that we’ll meet at the Lotus Blossom (counter service) for dinner as Dennis and Amy depart back to the parking lot to get warmer clothing. As we make our way back to China, Sofia and I stop and get Margaritas in Mexico. Mom buys her ring, and I wink at the lady behind the counter and say “I told you all it would take is a walk around the lagoon, and she’d be back” at which point Mom laughs and says she should have realized I was right when we left and just bought it then. After a pleasant meal at the Lotus Blossom, we staked out a table and left Dad and Tosh to hold it for us (Tosh is 6’10” and nobody is going to give him any grief about holding seats for us, LOL) while we run to get desserts and drinks. We were staying at Epcot to see Illuminations mainly because Mom and I wanted to see it (it’s another thing I hadn’t done before) but once it started all seven of us were just awed. It’s amazing and I found it to be very moving. It’s going to be a “must see” on every trip from now on. As we left the park and made our way back to the cars, we decided that the next night would be a night where we’d eat at the condo. Dennis (he is a chef after all) would cook dinner for us and Tosh would make his amazing cheesecake for dessert. This raised one problem. Tosh didn’t have all the supplies he’d need for cheesecake, so he, Sofia and I would have to go to the store on the way back to the condo. Between 10pm and 11:55 when we got back to the condo we hit two supermarkets, a Wallgreens and finally the Super-Wal-mart way down on Highway 192 before we found everything he needed. Then they both fell asleep for the 15-minute ride in the car back to the condo. I was a very tired and cranky chauffer when we got home, and I was very quickly in bed by 12:15.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Five

DAY FIVE – Tuesday, March 18th

Up at 7:30, Dad and Dennis are already gone to make their tee time at the Palm Golf Course. Then plan today is for Sofia and me to go over to Disney/MGM to hit the Tower of Terror and Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster while Mom and Amy stay at the condo and relax while Tosh makes cheesecake. Then we’ll pick them up for lunch and hook up with Dad and Dennis when they’re done playing golf and picking up stuff for dinner. At 9:00 I ask Tosh how much longer Sofia will take to get ready, and he says that he turned off the alarm to let her sleep. Well, there goes my plan. I go wake her up, and she gets ready and we make it to the park by 10:15 and after stopping at Guest Relations to make a PS reservation for the Brown Derby for lunch, we go directly to RnR. There’s a 90 minute wait. Since ToT only had a 40 minute wait we decide to pick up a fastpass for RnR (3:10 to 4:10) and do ToT standby. After waiting and hour we ride ToT, and then run to the car, to pick up Mom, Amy, and Tosh at the condo so we can make it back to the park in time for our 1:30 lunch PS. We get everyone to the park at 12:55, so we’ve got a little time to shop before lunch. Somewhere along the line, we get a call from Dad saying that he and Dennis are going to spend the afternoon at the condo (which mean’s they’re gonna nap). Lunch at the Brown Derby was as fantastic as always. (The Cobb Salad has become a tradition for me) and our server, Alexander is a riot. By the time we finish lunch, it’s 3pm and we head over to RnR so that Sofia and I can use our Fastpasses. When we get there, we’re told that RnR is down, and they don’t know when it will be running again. From this disappointment we decide to do one of my favorite attractions and head on over to the Animation Tour followed by One Man’s Dream. Mom, Amy and Sofia really enjoyed these tours, and I think Tosh did too, but he didn’t say. From there we make our way over to the New York Street where I try unsuccessfully to find the umbrella attached to the lamp-post with the sprinklers overhead before heading over to Star Tours (which we actually got Mom and Tosh to ride). After letting Amy shop a little at Star Traders we popped over to Villains In Vogue so I could pick up the “Wicked Queen” t-shirt I’ve had my eye on since my first trip to WDW. After dropping everyone off at the condo and determining that dinner would still be an hour or so, I zipped over to Downtown Disney to pick up the “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” DVD at the Virgin Megastore so that we could watch it after dinner. (Dennis and Amy hadn’t seen it yet.) I got home just in time to have the first course of a wonderful dinner that went on for quite a long time and didn’t leave any time for the movie. The main course was roast pork with a strawberry/balsamic vinegar sauce on top that was just amazing. Then we ate Tosh’s cheesecake with fudge and caramel drizzled on top. That was one of the best meals we had, and it was nice to not have to drive home when it was over. I waddled my stuffed self to bed at around 11:30 and dropped off to sleep feeling well fed and happy (okay there were cocktails involved, too . . .)

Okay, I'll post more later, for now, I'm off to bed

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Wow - thats one detailed report !!............and its still not finished ?
How did you remember what you did (in such detail) each day ?
Sounds like you had a good time - thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Hey RPMDFW!!! :wave:

AWESOME report!

Sounds like you all had a GREAT family vacation. And isn't that REALLY what Disney is all about?!??!

I'm heading back down this weekend and can't wait!

The umbrella is on the lamp post back by where the Hunchback show used to be. (I do my annual Gene Kelly routine for the camera every year!)

Glad you guys had fun!

:sohappy:

P.S. The "Wicked Queen" shirt is a hilarious idea! Think I'll be doing a little "Villain" shopping......

:lookaroun :animwink: :lookaroun

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
How did you remember what you did (in such detail) each day ?

I took notes! Every night before hitting the sack, I wrote out a list of what made up my day. And you're reading the edited version. I'm leaving out A LOT of minor stuff. Days 6-9 are on their way (hopefully tonight)

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Five

DAY SIX—Wednesday, March 19th

This was the day that I’d tentatively scheduled for us to hit one of Orlando’s other theme parks. Since I’d pretty much done all the planning for this vacation, I figured that I’d let the others decide which other park we’d do on the “off day” while secretly hoping they’d pick Islands of Adventure (I want to ride the Hulk and Spiderman rides again). Well, they came up with a decision that I wouldn’t have anticipated: no theme parks at all. Not something I’d have done, but it was a very relaxing day. Since Dad, Dennis, and Amy were playing golf in the morning (it’s amazing they had no problem getting up to go play golf, but getting them up the other days took an act of congress. Maybe I should have told them we had “tee times” at Magic Kingdom, :lol: ) Mom, Sofia, Tosh, and I just relaxed around the condo in the morning. For the most part we watched CNN as this was the day that the president had given as the last deadline, and things were really heating on the whole “war” front. While watching we saw that the U.S. government has declared 4 “no-fly” zones over the continental U.S. and that one of those is WDW! That was kind of freaky, I must admit. On the other hand, we felt completely safe everywhere we went the whole week, and it was fairly easy to leave current events behind whenever we went onto Disney property. The golfers returned at 1:00 pm and we split up into two groups. Sofia had promised Tosh that they could go to the Hard Rock Café (he’d never been to one) and I had figured that if we weren’t going to a park, we could do something that Mom had read about in books for many years, but never actually done: have Afternoon Tea. So Dad, Sofia and Tosh were off to Universal Citywalk in search of the Hard Rock, while Mom, Dennis, Amy and I drove up to the Grand Floridian for tea. What a wonderful experience. It was everything Mom had always hoped it would be. Our server Pat, was wonderful and informative, the sandwiches were light and delicious, the scones with devonshire crème were sinful, and in the middle of our tea, a group of about 20 ladies showed up in purple dresses and red hats which just made everything perfect for Mom. She loves the “When I am an old Lady, I shall wear purple” poem and having them show up couldn’t have been better if we’d planned it. After tea, we strolled around the grounds of the Grand Floridian, and I have to say, that when I win the lottery, I’m going to spend a month there! What a beautiful resort it is! From there we headed over to Downtown Disney to do some souvenir shopping and meet Dad, Sofia, and Tosh. Just as we parked, Dad called and said that they’d gotten lost on the way and were just finishing up at Citywalk (the ended up going by the Nascar Café as well as the Hard Rock) and that they were going to head back to the condo and to shop without them and they’d pick up any souvenirs they needed on Friday. Between Mom, Dennis, Amy and myself we spent over $400 at World of Disney picking up stuff for ourselves, each other, and friends at home. This is where my Annual Pass really started paying for itself, too since we managed to save over $40 in just that one shopping trip. From there, we stopped at Publix to pick up stuff to make hamburgers back at the condo and headed for home. We had a pleasant, simple meal of hamburgers and popped in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” and settled in to watch it. Dad and Tosh went off to their bedrooms to watch college basketball and half way thru the movie, Tosh came in and told us that the bombing of Baghdad had begun and that the president would be addressing the nation in a few minutes. We turned off the television, and watched the news until it was time for bed between 10:30 and 11pm.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Day Seven

DAY SEVEN—Thursday, March 20th

I’m up at 7:00 am and start rousing the troops because today is the day we’re going to Animal Kingdom (something that NONE of us had ever done) and we’ve decided to follow the advice of the guidebooks and get there early. I make breakfast for everyone, so that we’ve all had a good foundation before heading out (not to mention feeding them before we leave means that there won’t be any side trips for food along the way. :D ) My goal was to get to the Animal Kingdom at park opening at 9:00 am, and we actually enter the park at 9:05, and I feel like I’ve accomplished the impossible. We head directly over to Kilamanjaro Safaris for a very short wait before the safari starts. Oh, my god! It’s amazing! I thought I was prepared for this park from watching the planning video and reading up on it. Nothing comes close to describing how beautiful and awe-inspiring (and hot) this park is. After the safari, we stroll through the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail stopping frequently to watch gorillas, Hippos, etc. (Who knew Hippos are that graceful?) We part ways at this point. Dennis and Amy head over to Rafiki’s Planet Watch while the rest of us are off to Camp Minnie-Mickey to see the Festival of the Lion King. It’s a great show, and I loved watching the tumble monkeys and the fire-eater. After the FOTLK we head over to Pizzafari for lunch (because it’s closest) and really enjoy it. Dennis and Amy meet up with us just as we finish (sipping margaritas they picked up on their way through Harimbe) and I head over to ride Dinosaur with them while Mom, Dad, Sofia and Tosh head over to the Maharaja Jungle Trek. The wait for Dinosaur isn’t long at all (15 minutes) and after enjoying our ride through pre-history they go off in search of a smoking area and some lunch, and I head over to meet the rest of the family for Tarzan Rocks. On the way, they tell me that the tigers on the Jungle Trek were all sleeping in the shade, but it was still really neat. Tarzan Rocks wasn’t what I was expecting at all. I think we would have enjoyed it more if Tarzan would have actually been IN it more, but the concept of the Rock Concert was pretty cool. I also thing it would have been a lot more fun if we hadn’t been so HOT! It was into the low nineties and us folks from Texas and Colorado aren’t used to that kind of heat coupled with humidity—it’s stifling. When the show is over, it’s approaching 3pm and we’ve decided that we’d leave the park early so that we could nap and get ready for dinner and La Nouba in the evening. Mom, Dad, Sofia and Tosh head out of the park, and I head up to the Maharaja Jungle Trek after a phone call to Dennis to determine where they are. The Maharaja Jungle Trek is very cool, and the tigers were awake and playing with each other in the fountain when I walked by. I took a couple of picures and just watched them for a while. I learned that while we were seeing Tarzan Rocks, Dennis and Amy caught “It’s Tough to Be a Bug”, which I’d really like to see, but it’s time to head home. I leave the Animal Kingdom with the feeling that I can’t wait to come back and experience more of this park and do some of the things I missed this time around (Kali River Rapids, It’s Tough to Be a Bug, and Primeval Whirl) We get back to the condo, and a nap in the nice air-conditioned darkness of my bedroom is exactly the perfect thing for me at that moment in time. After we’re all up and refreshed, we head over to the Portabello Yacht Club for a delicious dinner. Once we’re all well fed and feeling a little happy (I can definitely recommend the Vino con Fruta, great sangria-like wine, woo hoo!) we head over to Cirque du Soleil. Dennis and I saw La Nouba last year, and insisted (without any objections) that we all see it again this year. As expected, it was just stunning. La Nouba is hauntingly beautiful, and all seven of us were enthralled. After La Nouba and a pleasant walk through Downtown Disney, it was back to the condo and bed at 12:30.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Okay, that's all for tonight. Days 8 and 9 tomorrow night (hopefully).

Thanks for all the great feedback. We did have a wonderful time, and I can't wait to go back in June!

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by RPMdfw
I took notes! Every night before hitting the sack, I wrote out a list of what made up my day. And you're reading the edited version. I'm leaving out A LOT of minor stuff. Days 6-9 are on their way (hopefully tonight)

I always keep a journal when I'm on a vacation. It helps me remember what I did.

Upvote 0

jcmayid

Hey Rob, hope you had plastic sheets. They call that $19 a night Thriftlodge "HOTBEDS". If you know what I mean:animwink: , that is just nasty.

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Originally posted by jcmayid
Hey Rob, hope you had plastic sheets. They call that $19 a night Thriftlodge "HOTBEDS". If you know what I mean:animwink: , that is just nasty.

EWWWWW! :hurl:

Why doesn't somebody warn me about these things BEFORE I stay there? Okay, I guess that the price and the location SHOULD have tipped me off. :brick:

Upvote 0

jcmayid

Nest time figure if you are stay anywhere on 192 that is under $40 per night, can't be good. An old coleague of mine used to live and work in some of the hotels. Heard the stories, YUCK!!!

Upvote 0

RPMdfw

Original Poster
Originally posted by jcmayid
Nest time figure if you are stay anywhere on 192 that is under $40 per night, can't be good. An old coleague of mine used to live and work in some of the hotels. Heard the stories, YUCK!!!

Actually, as a 19 year veteran of the Hospitality business, trust me, there are stories about the expensive hotels, too. They're just kept more quiet, but in some cases they're even MORE bizarre. My experience working in hotels can be summed up with "Just when you think you've seen it all, something proves that you haven't." At least it's never boring, though . . .

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom