Really bad placement

Bagheera

Original Poster
We took our 4YO son to see "The Piglet Movie" today. The last trailer before the film was a very long trailer for "Ghosts of the Abyss". Scenes of storms knocking people underwater, very dark, very intense, etc.

Now, if it were just my wife and I going to a more adult movie, or even something aimed at pre-teens or maybe at least 9YO kids, I could understand it. Instead, my son, along with many other toddlers and preschoolers in the theater were all freaking out. From behind me, I heard "Daddy, turn it off!"

We complained to whoever was in charge at the time that we left the theater, but they just said "I'll tell it to the person who tells us what trailers to put at the beginning of films." Didn't seem to care one way or the other.

Is this something that Disney is driving, since it's a trailer for one of their movies showing before another of their movies? I mean, I was worrying about the intensity of the "Pokemon Heroes" trailer, and then the "Ghosts of the Abyss" trailer came on, and I just wanted to cover my son's eyes and ears.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any other thoughts about who might be an appropriate person to complain to? Maybe the home office of the theater chain? A letter to the editor of the local newspaper?

Needless to say, we are quite ticked off.... :fork: :fork: :fork:

MrPromey

Originally posted by Bagheera
We took our 4YO son to see "The Piglet Movie" today. The last trailer before the film was a very long trailer for "Ghosts of the Abyss". Scenes of storms knocking people underwater, very dark, very intense, etc.

Now, if it were just my wife and I going to a more adult movie, or even something aimed at pre-teens or maybe at least 9YO kids, I could understand it. Instead, my son, along with many other toddlers and preschoolers in the theater were all freaking out. From behind me, I heard "Daddy, turn it off!"

We complained to whoever was in charge at the time that we left the theater, but they just said "I'll tell it to the person who tells us what trailers to put at the beginning of films." Didn't seem to care one way or the other.

Is this something that Disney is driving, since it's a trailer for one of their movies showing before another of their movies? I mean, I was worrying about the intensity of the "Pokemon Heroes" trailer, and then the "Ghosts of the Abyss" trailer came on, and I just wanted to cover my son's eyes and ears.

Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any other thoughts about who might be an appropriate person to complain to? Maybe the home office of the theater chain? A letter to the editor of the local newspaper?

Needless to say, we are quite ticked off.... :fork: :fork: :fork:

I would complain to Disney. I don’t know if the companys that release the movies always decide what goes before it in the trailers but I know that the do have SOME control. Even if they didn’t put it there, they could probably do something about it if they got enough of a negative response.

Bagheera

Original Poster
True. Even if they didn't order the trailer to be shown in front of the film, maybe they can at least put pressure on the theater chain to watch what they put in front of movie with a toddler/preschool target audience. Especially if we say that nobody that we know (online and off) will take their kids to "Finding Nemo" if the trailers are going to scare the bejeezus out of their kids.

I'm going to assume that Mikey won't really care. Who should I aim for? Richard Cook? Someone below him? Someone on the board? Roy?

MrPromey

Originally posted by Bagheera
True. Even if they didn't order the trailer to be shown in front of the film, maybe they can at least put pressure on the theater chain to watch what they put in front of movie with a toddler/preschool target audience. Especially if we say that nobody that we know (online and off) will take their kids to "Finding Nemo" if the trailers are going to scare the bejeezus out of their kids.

I'm going to assume that Mikey won't really care. Who should I aim for? Richard Cook? Someone below him? Someone on the board? Roy?

I don’t know who would specifically have anything to do with this and the only way I know to get in contact with them directly is through snail mail:

The Walt Disney Company
Attn: Walt Disney Pictures
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
The good news is that if you are willing to go that far, it will probably do more than an email or phone call would…
Or you can always give WDW a call, (407) 939-7675. They are really good about giving you the numbers or connecting you to where you need to get with the company as a whole. I’ve harassed, er, gotten their assistance on more than one occasion and they’ve always been very helpful, even when dealing with something that wasn’t really in their field. :)

Bagheera

Original Poster
Thanks. I did have the address. I guess I'll probably address it to Richard Cook, since he's Chairman of the s Walt Disney Motion Picture Group. Maybe a cc: to Roy, since he's nominally overseeing Animation. I'll have to draft something.

Maria

I would also contact the movie theater. By the time it reaches Disney and they do something about it in your area, this would probably have happened every day!

Maybe they can switch the trailer to another theater at another movie and they haven´t noticed that. It´s been a while since I don´t go to a kid´s movie, so I really don´t know if they use the same trailers here, I haven´t heard of anyone complainning of that here, so I am guessing it was probably also some stupidity and lack of tact from some worker of the theater.

Sorry about that.

Bairstow

Well I just watched the "Ghosts" trailer at Apple.com
I guess they, like me, assumed that since the trailer was a documentary that it would be safe for everyone. That or they assumed that the entire world has already seen "Titanic" 4 times and a clip or two wasn't going to affect anyone. Either way, someone assumed too much.

NowInc

Blame the theater...each theater gets a movie WITHOUT trailers..they tack trailers on according to what the studio asks..but sometimes they mess up. Disney movies are STRICT usually (no commercials allowed)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom