Realistic Timeframe from MCO to Magic Kingdom (and any ideas)

sawtelle

Original Poster
Flying in on a midweek day trying to catch a few hours after touchdown at MCO. We land at 6:30 (Magic Kingdom closes at 11pm). What is the expected timeframe to get from touchdown at MCO to the MK? Any strategies... We were thinking 1) Do Carryon luggage, 2) Uber/Lyft from MCO to Grand Floridian, 3) Ride monorail to MK. Thank you in advance for any ideas... :)

NeedMoreMickey

I think You can still use the yellow tags on your luggage and have it delivered to your room if you don’t use magical express. The bus can take anywhere from 60-90 minuets Uber about 30.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
If you have any carryon luggage, you'll need to either lug it through MK, or use the storage lockers. I'd say Uber it straight to Contemporary and either take the monorail or just walk to MK at that point. I'd say was, since its so close.

drwadadli

I think You can still use the yellow tags on your luggage and have it delivered to your room if you don’t use magical express. The bus can take anywhere from 60-90 minuets Uber about 30.

If you have any carryon luggage, you'll need to either lug it through MK, or use the storage lockers. I'd say Uber it straight to Contemporary and either take the monorail or just walk to MK at that point. I'd say was, since its so close.

I agree with both of these comments.

But here is another consideration. Do you have AP's? The reason I ask is because by the time you get to MK, it will be closer to 7:30 p.m.. You land at 6:30 p.m. but by the time you deplane, catch the monorail to the main terminal, walk through the main terminal, get Uber and ride to GF (I am guessing this is your resort since you mentioned it in your question) it will be closer to 7:30 p.m. and maybe even closer to 8:00 p.m. depending on traffic since you will be traveling through the end of rush hour. By the time you leave your luggage at bell hop (if you carried on luggage) and then got on the monorail to MK, it might even be closer to 8:00 p.m.. Since the park is open until 11:00 p.m., is it worth using a ticket (if you don't have AP's) for 3 hours of play time or better time spent having dinner, going to bed early and getting up early for rope drop and an entire day of play???

CaptainAmerica

You could do it, but I think you're setting yourself up to be behind on sleep from day 1 of your trip. I think it's much more prudent to shower off the airplane stink and get to bed at a good time rather than try to cram in a few hours (if you're lucky) on your travel day.

Weather_Lady

My family typically sets foot in the MK about 2 hours after our plane touches down, and the OP will have some chances to shave a bit of time off of that. Our timeline looks something like this (as you can see, the total range, given the variables, is from an hour-and-a-half to three hours).

- 10-20 minutes to deplane, walk to terminal monorail, ride to terminal, potty stop, and walk to DME (*we travel carryon only, so no detour to Baggage Claim, and we're familiar with the airport, so we know right where to go).
- 10-20 minutes to wait for DME bus. (We've never done Uber/Lyft from the airport, but one would save some time by doing so.)
- 40-50 minutes travel time to resort.
- 10-20 minutes to check in (and, if room is not ready, drop bags with Bell Services).
[If our room is ready, add another 20 minutes to walk there, unpack and freshen up.]
- 20-40 minutes to wait for/ride bus to MK and head to the tapstiles. (Again, the OP will be able to do this faster, since GF is on the monorail.)

Last edited:

MichiganDisneyDad4

We are doing sort of the same thing this upcoming Wednesday, although we will have more time in the park than the OP. Our flight lands at 1pm and the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight. Our first fast pass is at 6pm. My plan was to be in the park by 430ish. Not going to sweat it if we don't make it for the first FP. Long story short, for a travel day to have at least 6 hours to take in the sights, sounds and smells of the MK; that ain't a bad day for me.

drwadadli

We are doing sort of the same thing this upcoming Wednesday, although we will have more time in the park than the OP. Our flight lands at 1pm and the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight. Our first fast pass is at 6pm. My plan was to be in the park by 430ish. Not going to sweat it if we don't make it for the first FP. Long story short, for a travel day to have at least 6 hours to take in the sights, sounds and smells of the MK; that ain't a bad day for me.
Your plans sounds very doable. Between landing at 1:00 p.m. and getting to the park around 4:30ish has given you plenty of extra time just in case something happens. When we fly and take the DME, we typically plan 1.5 hours from landing to park entry or dinner reservations. So, I think are you good in your planning.

dieboy

I wouldn't bother. Wheels down at 6.30 will give you near two hours before your in your room, so approx 8.30pm. Settled then transportation to the parks, another hour atleast.

This not considering possible traffic on 528. Or, the dreaded forty five minute MCO bag wait, happens more frequently lately :\

Personally, we show up late, hit disney springs for some drinks and parks early.

Last edited:

dieboy

Half day, is it worth the ticket price for a half day? Disney Springs is a great place to eat, drink and do some shopping, kind of get in the trip spirit. For say four tickets, you could have a huge dinner, drinks, snacks and souvenirs and maybe some left over. Just a thought, to each their own though! Also ,, do they sell half day passes, have family there so i have not bought one in a long time.

If you do the park, being there by 6pm will be absolutely no problem, barring a huge pile up on the 528. But .. mid day travel on it is usually fine. When we did travel there, wheels down at around 8am, and in parks by around 11am, but that was ten years ago ;).

MichiganDisneyDad4

Half day, is it worth the ticket price for a half day? Disney Springs is a great place to eat, drink and do some shopping, kind of get in the trip spirit. For say four tickets, you could have a huge dinner, drinks, snacks and souvenirs and maybe some left over. Just a thought, to each their own though! Also ,, do they sell half day passes, have family there so i have not bought one in a long time.

If you do the park, being there by 6pm will be absolutely no problem, barring a huge pile up on the 528. But .. mid day travel on it is usually fine. When we did travel there, wheels down at around 8am, and in parks by around 11am, but that was ten years ago ;).
In the grand scheme of things, if you have a 4, 5, 6 day or longer pass, it makes sense to me to head to a park on your first day. Of course it all has to make sense logistically and time wise. If you land into MCO later in the day and the parks close early, then of course, take it easy and maybe hit up Disney Spring your first day. In my case, we landed and were at our resort by 230 and into the park by 4pm and MK didn't close until midnight. It didn't cost of much more to have that extra day in the parks and we love seeing the castle on day one of our trip. We hit up a few fast passes, ate some dinner and watched some fireworks.

Phonedave

If I am planning to do anything on the day we arrive, i go with 90 minutes from the time we are at the gate, to the time we are in the hotel lobby. I have been there in less, and I have seen it take longer, but 90 is a good average for me.

-dave

dieboy

In the grand scheme of things, if you have a 4, 5, 6 day or longer pass, it makes sense to me to head to a park on your first day. Of course it all has to make sense logistically and time wise. If you land into MCO later in the day and the parks close early, then of course, take it easy and maybe hit up Disney Spring your first day. In my case, we landed and were at our resort by 230 and into the park by 4pm and MK didn't close until midnight. It didn't cost of much more to have that extra day in the parks and we love seeing the castle on day one of our trip. We hit up a few fast passes, ate some dinner and watched some fireworks.

Yea, its a totally optional thing. I now days upright refuse mid day arrivals. Its either i'm at my destination before nine or ten am, or i'm there after six pm. That obviously allows for nearly 3/4 of a day to go on with your plans, or an evening to relax and get started early the next day depending on where we are going and what we are doing. Back when we'd arrive places mid day, it was hard to figure out how to burn up a partial afternoon and evening, ontop of depending on where we go, sometimes its a haul and we are tired, or if either of use worked that morning, etc.

So breaking it down, yes, a four or six day pass are reasonably priced. Lets take a look at the six day simply because its the cheapest. A family of four, would pay approx 70 each, that's 280, for approx eight hours. if you can arrive by 4pm with a late close at midnight, honestly not too horrible, if you can work some fast pass magic (aka book another headline ride immediately after you use your first, if you can even do that anymore), hit two headliners and sneak on two or three other rides with fairly short times (eyeball the app for wait times every so often, you always get lucky with something). I'd be okay with that. Anything less, probably not.

In big bold letters, all the above is purely speculation, and totally a personal preference, and one personal preference is not better than another. *disclaimer for folks not good at interneting ;P.

Yes this could be a whole new topic. I'll stop thread hijacking. But i'm actually curious at what point people will say a partial day is not worth it.

Back to the main thread. The MK express, you don't need to pick up your bags, but don't expect them to be in your room when you arrive on occasion, they come off the plane along with everyone elses, and get sorted out near the end. But if you are on the MK express, you bypass having to wait on them (gawd the dreaded wait at MCO, i swear i get it every other time, even on different airlines).

Again with the 528 and 4. Whether you are on a MK express, or in an uber, you still have to contend with that cluster. Our evening pick ups we hit traffic maybe a third of the time. If everything goes well with luggage, and your on the road by say 7:00pm, your still on the edge of some traffic. Anywhere from 15 to 20 minute delay, to 30-45 minutes. Totally random, but the entire way through that rush hour can be hit or miss. 4 always seem to have accident delays also. NOT saying it will be bad, we have had numerous pleasant trips down those two highways, but have run into some junk on those roads a handful of times. Just something to consider.

If your dead set on it, I would at least have a plan B in this case. Any one aforementioned thing could add another hour to your arrival at the hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom