Re-creating America Sings Hippie Crane

HippieCrane

Original Poster
Hi guys,

I decided that I would post about my project. I'm making a replica of the Hippie Crane from America Sings. The mech will be mostly based off of the original but I have some changes. First off, the character was servo hydraulic, and I dont have the money or resources to run hydraulics in my house. So I am using pneumatics. The thing about pneumatics is its hard to achieve precise positioning of the actuators without spending $15,000 building the character. So I've designed a servo valve that I am hoping will be reliable enough for this project, otherwise I will just use digital pneumatics instead of analog.

Hippie Crane Movements:

1-Body lift
2-Body Sway
3-right hand
4-guitar raise
5-neck bend up/down
6-neck bend left/right
7-neck twist
8-head tilt forward/back
9-head tilt left/right
10-mouth

The controller I am using is of my own design and software. I have made software that plays audio and records the position of a potentiometer every milisecond for each individual movement, or combinations of movements. Once all the movements are programmed I can play it back as many times as I want and it will do the exact same movements every time. I do this by sending between 16 and 32 ASCII characters through a serial port which get converted to a value between 0 and 255 and mapped to the correct movement channel. I hope to get started on the framework soon and I will post pictures!

(I think I meant to post this in imagineering)

Last edited:

HippieCrane

Original Poster
Here are some of my pneumatic cylinders that I will test fit in each movement.

HippieCrane

Original Poster

In case I go with digital pneumatics, I will use this show control unit "The Graybox" which is from The Rock Afire Explosion back in the showbiz pizza days. there are 2 drawers and each one with 96 programmable outputs. It has 2 data inputs that run off of tape or WAV file that has the formatted data for this unit. Its basically made out of player piano boards.

HippieCrane

Original Poster

Just in case I go with digital pneumatics I have already built a valve bank, I will need to add 2 more valves though. All of those gold fittings will probably be replaced with push in fittings for the tubes that go into the exhaust dissipator

HippieCrane

Original Poster

So I haven't gotten a chance to start on the hippie crane really because I got distracted and ended up with 5 other animatronics from 1980s Pizza Time Theatre.

HippieCrane

Original Poster
I am still alive! I've just been very busy with my assosiates degree and normal life. I visited Walt Disney World last week and hopped on splash mountain and I was able to get a good idea of how tall to build the hippie crane. I need to get a cold cut chop saw still but I got a drill press for the project. Im still torn on using pneumatics or servos. I did find some extremely cheap servo valves so I could technially make it hydraulic.

Another part of the project is the ACS (Animation Control System)
I am developing a system where the position data is stored on a hard disk. while the audio file has a track of audible data that tell the controller what memory address it needs to get the data from at 40 frames per second. This is the fastest system I could come up with by far and it is very robust and has almost no errors. I plan to make a full size animators console for the character (or set of characters if I decide to make the porcupine and rooster as well)

I'll try to keep the project updated.

Snow Queen 83

It's too bad they'll never celebrate America Sings or bring it back. Because of the tragic death of a castmember. I never saw it in person, but it looks like a great show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom