Rain, Wind, Snow, Cold, or Heat

Which inclimate weather condition do you like the least? (5k distance)

• Wind

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Snow

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cold (the coldest you could expect at a Disney race)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Heat

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Rain

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenlawler

Original Poster
So over the years every race, even at Disney, will be visited by an extreme weather condition.

I can't remember specific years but I've run in

Pouring Rain at Wine and Dine 2014
Ferocious Wind at Avengers 2014
Light Snow at DW Half 2010 (?)
Intense Cold several years but most recently DW MW5k 2015
Major Heat at DW Marathon 2013(?)

Which weather obstacle do you like the least?
Obviously the distance makes a difference as the longer the mileage the more heat would be a hinderance. So let's just say on a regular 5k.

For me it's wind, and it's not even close. Last years Wine and Dine and Avengers were back to back weekends, I ran both. I'll take driving rain anyday! If it's windy, I will run indoors, any other condition I can handle. When I say cold I don't mean Alaska cold I mean the coldest you could expect at a Disney race.

lukacseven

2006 was cold...dry, but 29 degrees at the start cold...still didn't seem as bad as 2010. The Marathon that year (2010) was the most uncomfortable I've ever been running, because it never seemed to warm up (and I've run some cold races in Philly in the winter). I ended up keeping all of my throw-away clothes on for most of the race. January, 2007 was complete opposite. I believe it topped 80 degrees at the start, but I remember dripping from sweat just walking to the start line of the marathon...that was probably the hottest/most humid January race - worse than 2013.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
2006 was cold...dry, but 29 degrees at the start cold...still didn't seem as bad as 2010. The Marathon that year (2010) was the most uncomfortable I've ever been running, because it never seemed to warm up (and I've run some cold races in Philly in the winter). I ended up keeping all of my throw-away clothes on for most of the race. January, 2007 was complete opposite. I believe it topped 80 degrees at the start, but I remember dripping from sweat just walking to the start line of the marathon...that was probably the hottest/most humid January race - worse than 2013.

That 2010 race was horrible, I remember when the sun came out at mile 7 I thought it was like a gift from heaven.

Last edited:

Texas84

I'm going with snow just because I think it would mess up my footing. Have never run in snow. And won't.

At a 5K distance none of those other choices would bother me.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I'm going with snow just because I think it would mess up my footing. Have never run in snow. And won't.

At a 5K distance none of those other choices would bother me.

Don't mean to comment on every response ;) but the year it snowed the cups of water were freezing before they could pass them out, and what water there was that spilled on the ground was turning into slick spots. I saw multiple people bust around the water stops especially before the sun came out. One bad Daytona 500 worthy pileup in front of the Contemporary where you make that left turn towards MK.

Texas84

Don't mean to comment on every response ;) but the year it snowed the cups of water were freezing before they could pass them out, and what water there was that spilled on the ground was turning into slick spots. I saw multiple people bust around the water stops especially before the sun came out. One bad Daytona 500 worthy pileup in front of the Contemporary where you make that left turn towards MK.

I didn't run that year. I would have been in BIG trouble. I don't do well on ice without hockey skates. :)

FerretAfros

Having gotten the rain, wind, heat, and (2015) cold, I think I would prefer it to be a little on the cold side, as long as I was prepared and dressed for it. This year's cold snuck up on me so I didn't have warm clothes with me, which made things a little more complicated. I did enjoy the penguin-style huddle of strangers trying to keep each other warm before the 5K; it was the one time that everybody wanted somebody in their personal space!

Between the W&D rain and Avengers wind, I think the wind was a lot worse because it had gusts. Although it rained really hard during W&D, it was pretty consistent and after a certain point you couldn't get any more wet. With the wind, every time you thought you had your act together, another gust would come along and put you in your place

And if we're talking about weird weather, we shouldn't overlook the fog at 2014 Princess. Although it wasn't as bad as others, it was super humid and made it tough to see more than about 100 yards ahead of you which made it more mentally challenging than usual:

1911837_10102187338213515_631598273_n.jpg

dreamfinder

Least favorite has to be heat, or cold/windy/rain. I run hot as it is, so the extra degrees just make me a giant puddle of sweat. I don't mind the cold, the wind, or the rain by themselves, but running in 35ish degree rain with 15mph wind just sucks.

Should have seen my beard after a half I did in Colorado during a snow storm. Although several of the local just out for a jog put mine to shame by far, they had a good 9-12 inches of ice.

Kermit262

I live in Ohio and so routinely run in cold races. But the 2015 5K was cold and windy far beyond what I had expected. I'm still unthawing from it. Thanks a lot, Elsa! :mad:

surfsupdon

I voted cold because if I am going to FLORIDA to run...I want it mild.

I have had hot and humid Tower of Terror night races (both 13K and 10-Milers), rainy Wine and Dines and a rainy Exp. Everest, and a miserably hot WDW Marathon. Brutally hot.

But I have had many, many pleasant, beautiful night and morning runs at WDW. Love them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom