Questions for DVC Memebers

Chewmonkey

Original Poster
Hi - We're thinking about purchasing a DVC resale, and I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions for me. I've done my research, so hopefully I won't ask any stupid questions.

We go to WDW twice a year, in the Spring (SWWeekends) and in the late fall. We buy annual passes, and schedule our trips so that we get three weeks/uses out of them. We typically stay in value or moderates at passholder rates (about $500 - $600/wk @ Pop).

I'm looking to buy about 125 points at a resort on property. I figure I can get them for $55/point or so at say OKW/Saratoga, and a little more at FWL/BWV.

My Questions:

It looks like I can buy points at Hilton Head or Vero Beach in the low $40's/point. We would never want to stay at one of these resorts, and would always want to trade for an on property WDW resort. How tough is it to find availability in the 7 month window? Am I better off paying a little more for a place we'd want to stay?

One of the appeals for me is the discount on annual passes. For the three of us, this is an annual savings of $300 that will offset about half of my annual fees. Is this benefit guaranteed, or can it be taken away? Do resale contracts still get that benefit?

My understanding of the new restrictions on resales is that the options no longer available are a bad use of points anyway. If we only want to stay at WDW on property resorts (maybe a trip to Hawaii once, maybe Disneyland once...), should this bother me?

Are contracts transferrable/willable to family members?

Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you don't think this is right for me.

Monorail Lime

It looks like I can buy points at Hilton Head or Vero Beach in the low $40's/point. We would never want to stay at one of these resorts, and would always want to trade for an on property WDW resort. How tough is it to find availability in the 7 month window? Am I better off paying a little more for a place we'd want to stay?
Certain resort/room combinations may be difficult to book at the 7 month window during the more popular times of the year. However there should always be something available at the 7 month mark. You may often get initially booked at Saratoga Springs (the largest DVC resort) and be placed on a waitlist for the resort you really want.

Keep in mind that Hilton Head and Vero Beach have higher annual dues than any other resort. You would not save a lot of money in the long run.

One of the appeals for me is the discount on annual passes. For the three of us, this is an annual savings of $300 that will offset about half of my annual fees. Is this benefit guaranteed, or can it be taken away? Do resale contracts still get that benefit?
No perks are guaranteed. It is possible, though unlikely, that such benefits could be rescinded in the future. The AP benefit is available to resale contracts.

My understanding of the new restrictions on resales is that the options no longer available are a bad use of points anyway. If we only want to stay at WDW on property resorts (maybe a trip to Hawaii once, maybe Disneyland once...), should this bother me?
The Villas at Grand Californian in Disneyland and the Aulani Villas in Hawaii are DVC resorts. They are not affected by the resale contract restrictions.

Are contracts transferrable/willable to family members?
Yes.

Pioneer Hall

A good rule of thumb is to purchase at a resort you know that you mind staying in. If you have no plan to go to Hilton Head and Vero Beach then purchasing there is not a great idea. I personally think that the best value out there right now is Saratoga Springs when you look at the points cost and dues. Also, as Monorail Lime said, the dues at the beach resorts are higher now and will likely continue to stay that way.

When making a DVC purchase the only thing you should really look at is the potential savings on your points. The AP benefit is nice right now, but there is no guarantee that it will still be there at any time in the future. DVC contracts last a long time, so banking on any discount to continue is not a good idea.

Resale restrictions are on the Disney, Adventurer, and Concierge collections. None of the DVC resorts (everything at WDW, Grand Californian, Aulani in Hawaii, Vero, and Hilton Head) are affected by these restrictions. Your points wouldn't be available for things like the cruise line, regular Disney resorts, etc. These are the trades that people often say aren't good value for your points.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We go to WDW twice a year, in the Spring (SWWeekends) and in the late fall. We buy annual passes, and schedule our trips so that we get three weeks/uses out of them. We typically stay in value or moderates at passholder rates (about $500 - $600/wk @ Pop).

I'm looking to buy about 125 points at a resort on property. I figure I can get them for $55/point or so at say OKW/Saratoga, and a little more at FWL/BWV.

Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you don't think this is right for me.

Looks like others have taken care of your questions pretty well. We bought in a few years ago with similar kinds of travel plans - maximize APs by scheduling trips appropriately. My only question would be buying in at only 125 points. If I have figured out your travel plans right, you do two trips one year, then one the next and make sure that there is overlap so all three fall under one AP. 125 points wouldn't quite cover 1 spring week (108) and 1 fall week (76) plus one or the other the next year at OKW (one of the cheapest). So, following your plans (if I got them right) you would need 184 points one year, then just 76 or 108 the following year. So, either 260 every 2 years or 292 every 2 years.

When we bought in, we looked at our current travel plans and also our future travel plans - we figured with our daughter heading into school and myself as a teacher, we'd be doing summer most years and maybe want to go at Xmas once in a while and try to sneak a long weekend in every once in a while (and go insane sometimes, like in two weeks when we are going with my wifes entire family), so we ended up thinking 200 points would be in our best interest - luckily we found someone selling 210 through a resale outlet and have been enjoying for the past 3 years!

If you can find the money (or get the right loan like we did) I would recommend getting a few more points than you think is your minimum need. You can always bank them and eventually splurge on a special trip to one of the more pricey (point-wise) resorts or rooms.

Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom