Question to all Castmembers

919Florida

Original Poster
I have a question. I am 17 years old and I am from Ohio. It's been a dream of mine for a very long time to persue a career at Disney World. I have done my research on the company read all of the trivia books. I want to give back some of the magic I have received to the guest. My question is this. I was at the Disney Jobs site and I seen that their are over 2,700different classifications. Thats a lot. Where would I got to see waht some of those are? I just hope when it comes time for me to apply I am able to get in.

cm1988

Originally posted by 919Florida
...I want to give back some of the magic I have received to the guest... over 2,700 different classifications...

You've struck on a key there... a desire to 'share magical moments' with guests (or to support that magic behind the scenes) is a key to finding and succeeding in WDW role. It's also useful to have some part time experience elsewhere... a fast food job, delivering papers, whatever. If in that experience you've stayed with it, been reliable (not too many late/call-in days), and learned something about working on a team, that's going to help.

Of course, get that H.S. diploma if you can... and if at all possible get into college and the WDWCP .

Now let's say that through the college program or Casting Center you get to WDW and your entry-level role is in foods. For the first couple of months, the extent of your guest interaction might be the five seconds you have when handing over a tray of burgers/fries... you might be in a position where you can't stop too long because other guests are waiting. So where's the magic there? Well... 1) Right then, the guest just wants to get that tray, sit down with their family and enjoy a meal. You make that happen. 2) At the same time, your smile and just a few words... stemming from a sincere desire for those guests to have a great vacation... will in fact make a little difference for many guests. 3) Multiply that by the number of cast members the guest will see that day.

Also, take into account that regardless of where you start, there will be variety, and you'll benefit from being flexible and a team player. You'll have chances to work different places within a location (e.g. work register in a shop for a few weeks... different registers within the shop, different shifts. Then you might be asked to floor stock, or control stock.) You'll learn several facets of a location, then find opportunities to move to similar locations. Maybe within the first year, your great attitude and professional approach to your role is recognized... and you'll attend 'Disney Trainers' class. After that, some days you'll be doing training, so there's more variety.

Keys to success are really, really simple: being good to your guests, helpful and supportive of your fellow cast members, enjoying whatever you're doing, and being reliable in terms of attendance.

About those 2700 classifications. Your most likely route through the door will take you into an operational role in Foods (most likely outdoor foods or quick service), Merchandise, Custodial or Attractions. Then you have location to consider. Often, most entry-level Merchandise roles would be in the parks... but maybe there's an opening in a Resort shop. Should you go for it? At a Resort, you're likely to find a pace that allows more guest interaction. If that's really critical to your job satisfaction, maybe you should seek that out. Then again, if you start in a park and keep you eyes out for postings, you can start looking for resort opportunities internally after 6 months.

If you have a particular skill/experience, you might want to look into some of the 2695 other classifications. Again, you could do that before or after 'joining the show'.

Best of luck!

919Florida

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your indepth information. You gave me lots of information. Thanks again.

I have a lot of experience in food. I have worked in the family restaurant since I was 14. I have done lot's of things there. Maybe that will be a plus on a resume.

Everyday I pretend I am working at Disney World and pretend I am a castmember. I treat everyone nice, I work well with the other employees I work with.

THanks again for all of your help. Maybe I will see you someday. :sohappy:

madhatter

hope this is helpful,here's how i got the job of being a Jungle Cruise Skipper. I was living in orlando at the time. i called the disney job and did the whole automated questionaire thing. Someone called me back, asked me questions about myself and then set up an interview. you go in fill out an application, watch a film and take a math test.after waiting for an eternity someone comes and gets you and takes you to thier office.talks to you some more, then pulls up a listing of what they have available AT THAT TIME. Its all about luck, unless you have a degree or a trade.
you have to start out at part-time.you have to compete for fulltime.you have to stay at the job you were hired for 6 months, then you can transfer.
if you want to work at a restraunt waiting tables you have to start off at one of the not so desirable locations(no matter your experience) and work your way up to a nicer restraunt which could take a very long time.There are alot of full grown adults at disney and in central florida who wait tables as a career, because of lack of non-touristy jobs.good luck you'll love working there as long as you don't mind following alot of rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom