Question About NOT Making ADR's

dvcnut

Original Poster
My DH's cousin is going to WDW in November and due to various personal issues was unable to make ADR's. At this point, I think that it would be slim pickins if anything is available.

Has anyone here had any luck getting into a restaurant with a character meal without ADR's?

I would think that most restaurants allow walk-in's, but that the wait would be longer.

DisneyAubs

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Tell him to keep checking for ADRs even up until he leaves. This new cancellation policy is helping things out I think. As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to cancel a bunch of reservations in November, so there are always thinsg opening up!

My go to character meal when things are close is Cape May Buffet for breakfast. It almost always has openings at the last minute because it is at a resort, but I ate there last summer and I loved it!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
All restaurants allow walk ins but if they are booked solid, which many are, you are out of luck. Many times you will be turned away. Character meals without an ADR are quite hard. Chef Micky, Ohana, Cinderella's Royal Table and Crystal Palace will border on impossible. Akershus, 1900 park fare and Cape May are possibilities, but still long shots. However, if he has already tried to make reservations and they are already booked then the chances of him getting in are slim at best.

DisneyDebNJ

Other posters are right, chances are slim, but not impossible. It doesn't hurt to try, or to go to the Concierge desk at your resort, and try to make a reservation at the restaurant of your choice. If you try for a later time, (an hour before closing perhaps) your chances are better. Keep an open mind as well as a list of other restaurant choices.

wiigirl

Again, it doesn't hurt to try...but have a backup..
75.gif

DisneyAubs

My go to character meal when things are close is Cape May Buffet for breakfast. It almost always has openings at the last minute because it is at a resort, but I ate there last summer and I loved it!

I should clarify that when I say "last minute" I don't really mean the day of. I'm thinking more like a few weeks before the trip. :)

ratherbeinwdw

I should clarify that when I say "last minute" I don't really mean the day of. I'm thinking more like a few weeks before the trip. :)
No difference. Weeks are the same as days for popular adr's. I've been trying for three months to add a Crystal Palace or 'Ohana breakfast to our adr's. No luck.[/quote]

DisneyAubs

No difference. Weeks are the same as days for popular adr's. I've been trying for three months to add a Crystal Palace or 'Ohana breakfast to our adr's. No luck.
[/quote]
yes, those two are tough. I was specifically referencing my mention of Cape May.

but OP, keep checking back. I just searched for breakfast on 9/18 (a week from today) for a party of 4. There is availability for 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House. Don't lose hope!

psukardi

Good luck!

Not to burst the bubble but my trip is 32 days out and on a whim wanted to see if we could get Crystal Palace for breakfast one morning - that ain't happening. With the 180 ADR it's really hard to get stuff this close. But keep trying and maybe someone will cancel

crispy

If they aren't extremely picky, they may have a chance. We did a spur of the moment trip in 2010 and we were able to get the cape May character breakfast and Akershus for dinner. Also, check places that offer a character lunch like Akershus and Tusker House.

Finally, if all else fails, the Garden Grove at the Swan/Dolphin has a character breakfast (weekends only) and a character dinner nightly. They don't take reservations, and the aren't on the dining plan, but it's definitely an option. I think they only have two characters appearing (usually Goofy and Pluto).

Dad 2 M & M

I would say Askershus and Tusker House are definitely going to be your best bets. Tusker breakfast will have Donald, Goofy and others in safari garb. Askerhus breakfast usually has at least three princesses, sometimes five. Have you checked CRT? Having to pay in advance does limit the amount of people willing to reserve early....worth a shot. And!!!! check early every morning, afternoon and evening...something will open up!

HouCuseChickie

We are going in November and while I don't know your party's dates, I can tell you that I have seen a few character meals and more popular spots still with openings. I've also had to stalk a bit to rework my schedule around my BoG ADR and while it's taken days to weeks of stalking- I've gotten EVERYTHING :) I've wanted. From the 8:05a at CRT and Akershus to getting well timed ADRs at Garden Grill and Crystal Palace for dinner with 0 stalking effort involved. Mind you- that last part was later on in August, so the openings are not as good right now, but if they are able to make ADRs now and can devote some time to searching the website several times per day- they will probably wind up with some great ADRs.

LizC

My DH's cousin is going to WDW in November and due to various personal issues was unable to make ADR's. At this point, I think that it would be slim pickins if anything is available.

Has anyone here had any luck getting into a restaurant with a character meal without ADR's?

I would think that most restaurants allow walk-in's, but that the wait would be longer.
I have seen people get in to cape may with out an ADR. That being said, I think your cousin may still be able to still get some ADR's.

ImagineerDude

We practically walked into Chef Mickey's two summers ago (5 minute wait) but this year we called about 45 minutes ahead to Rainforest Cafe and when we got there we walked around the shop for about 15 minutes

PenelopePeach

I always tend to make last minute changes in the weeks leading up to our trips, and while I may not get exactly what I want, I can always find something. I'm sure something will pop up.

luv

She could make them now. No reason to wait and walk up.

CRT, Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill are tough. I think I've done walk-up everywhere else.

Keep checking online. It's really not always as hard as people make it out to be. I walk up to Crystal Palace all the time.

luv

Good luck!

Not to burst the bubble but my trip is 32 days out and on a whim wanted to see if we could get Crystal Palace for breakfast one morning - that ain't happening. With the 180 ADR it's really hard to get stuff this close. But keep trying and maybe someone will cancel
Is that for 11/13? If so, there are tables available for up to four guests.

psukardi

That would have been for 10/13 - not 11/13 but I keep checking. Like others have said, just check every morning at 7am

dreamfinder

Plug the dates in online now, and see what comes up. Waiting til the last minute isn't a good idea if they are set on a character meal. However, I just tried two random days in November, but I just pulled up multiple times for lunch at at least 3 Character meals, as well as time for Breakfast (including Ohana!) for parties of 4. If they decide for whatever reason they can't/don't want that reservation, they just need to cancel 24 hours out to avoid the charges.

jaklgreen

I think they would have better luck at the resort restaraunts. Go early for dinner or a late lunch. I know Boma leaves places open for walk ups(I asked them and cast member confirmed)even though the rez system says they are booked up. Biergarten usually has room and I have also walked up to Tutto Italia with no problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom