Question about Hall of Presidents

cjacksonii

Original Poster
I'm going to preface this post that politics is *not* what this post is about, although it may sound like it at first.

My roommate is very politcally active and heard a story on a audio stream of the Nova M (like Air America) affiliate in Phoenix, AZ, and heard Stepanie Miller talking about the Hall of Presidents. They were saying that President Bush had donated something to be displayed in the Hall of Presidents, a pair of [horse] riding boots. Based on what I heard, there are three concerns about this. First, the boots are not 100% original, they're actually copies President Bush donated. Second and Third, not only does President Bush not ride horses at all, he is deathly afraid of horses.

My question is this: Don't the artifacts in the Hall of Presidents supposed to be the real thing and not copies? It just really sounds odd to me that there'd be a copy of something there, and not just a copy but a copy of something the particular president would never use/wear....

darthjohnny

I'm going to preface this post that politics is *not* what this post is about, although it may sound like it at first.

My roommate is very politcally active and heard a story on a audio stream of the Nova M (like Air America) affiliate in Phoenix, AZ talking about the Hall of Presidents. They were saying that President Bush had donated something to be displayed in the Hall of Presidents, a pair of [horse] riding boots. Based on what I heard, there are three concerns about this. First, the boots are not 100% original, they're actually copies President Bush donated. Second and Third, not only does President Bush not ride horses at all, he is deathly afraid of horses.

My question is this: Don't the artifacts in the Hall of Presidents supposed to be the real thing and not copies? It just really sounds odd to me that there'd be a copy of something there, and not just a copy but a copy of something the particular president would never use/wear....

I think some artifacts in the Hall of Presidents are detailed copies. Some may be real though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Having been an avid GWB supporter, I feel I can say this without sounding political either....He might as well have donated his common sense to be displayed because he hasnt used that much in the last few years either.

Im not sure you would see any original presidential memorbelia in Hall of the Presidents due to a lack of proper security for the items. To me it would not be that big of a deal if it was real or not, and I am a really big fan of HotP.

Since1976

Having been an avid GWB supporter, I feel I can say this without sounding political either....He might as well have donated his common sense to be displayed because he hasnt used that much in the last few years either.

Im not sure you would see any original presidential memorbelia in Hall of the Presidents due to a lack of proper security for the items. To me it would not be that big of a deal if it was real or not, and I am a really big fan of HotP.

Very good point about the security. It's not exactly the National Archives over there :)

JustPlainBill

My question is this: Don't the artifacts in the Hall of Presidents supposed to be the real thing and not copies?
When I was last there I read a card in a display case that stated the pair of shoe buckles in the case "could" have belonged to George Washington. I don't know what that meant. Are the buckles from the same period, or were they passed down through the family along with a story but no documentation, who knows?:shrug: I don't know if there is a rule about artifacts or not, I would assume by the card I read that day, it isn't a hard and fast rule.

CThaddeus

I thought I read something once about the watch the Bill Clinton AA wears did actually belong to and was worn by him. I could be wrong about that, though.

jt04

My roommate is very politcally active and heard a story on a audio stream of the Nova M (like Air America) affiliate in Phoenix, AZ, and heard Stepanie Miller talking about the Hall of Presidents. They were saying that President Bush had donated something to be displayed in the Hall of Presidents, a pair of [horse] riding boots. Based on what I heard, there are three concerns about this. First, the boots are not 100% original, they're actually copies President Bush donated. Second and Third, not only does President Bush not ride horses at all, he is deathly afraid of horses.

Oh no, not political at all:rolleyes:

westie

I like them a lot more now that I know the story behind the boots and I'll be able to add my .02 on our next trip. Thanks, thats better than a hidden mickey!

wilary

I think they are cowboy boots rather than riding boots. As I recall, they are (or replicas of) the cowboy boots he wore to one of the Inauguration balls.

He IS from Texas and EVERYBODY in Texas wears cowboy boots...

mhead

The boots are labeled as replicas so there should not be any question. The George Washington buckles are labled as being buckles like those worn during that time period. If you read the explanantions by each artifact it clearly states whether it is original or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom