Question about Dudley Do-Right's Rip Saw Falls

darthjohnny

Original Poster
When I went on Dudley Do-Right when it first opened in 1999, it didn't have backs for the each seat in the log. It sat six people. When we hit the camel hump at the bottom of the big drop, my head colided with my father chin. We didn't complain about it, but it did leave a bad taste in our mouths about that ride fro a long time. Years later, we went back to Islands of Adventure, and now the logs only had room for 5 people, and had a back to every seat. Does anyone know if they changed the log for safety reasons? Did anyone else experience something like I did?

cmatt

i havent been on it so i cant speak for it - but i do know it had to be shut down and altered due to people breaking arms and other limbs on the ride... perhaps this had something to do with it?? Id imagine it was due to health and safety however.... people are generally quite heavy to be thrown at each other ;)

AndyMagic

i havent been on it so i cant speak for it - but i do know it had to be shut down and altered due to people breaking arms and other limbs on the ride... perhaps this had something to do with it?? Id imagine it was due to health and safety however.... people are generally quite heavy to be thrown at each other ;)

People weren't "breaking arms and limbs." Honestly, don't make things up. The ride was changed to increase guest comfort but it wasn't breaking people's bones on a regular basis.

cmatt

People weren't "breaking arms and limbs." Honestly, don't make things up. The ride was changed to increase guest comfort but it wasn't breaking people's bones on a regular basis.

no but from what i gather it was ajusted, the catalyst for this manouver from what ive gathered on various bits and bobs on other forums and some media snippets from what i have researched (and a few utterings on here in the past) was that users of the ride where genuinely hurting themselves...:drevil:

dont be so defensive - as i said from what a gather. Not LMAOZZZZ!!!! t3h got5 SHutTT down cos Of T3h BROk3n BON35!!!1111twelve...DI5n3y 4EVA!!! <3

^ ^ and i shall state that im being sarcastic - just incase you get all defensive again and accuse me of being a disney fan boy :lol: :hammer:

its only a forum at the end of the day - no need to jump down peoples throats for merely suggesting something...

darthjohnny

Original Poster
I think it was for safety. Why else would they cut down on ride capacity by adding the backs and limiting the number of riders?

Tim G

When I went on Dudley Do-Right when it first opened in 1999, it didn't have backs for the each seat in the log. It sat six people. When we hit the camel hump at the bottom of the big drop, my head colided with my father chin. Did anyone else experience something like I did?
In 2000 I was sitting in the back with my wife in front of me, and almost broke ny nose while hitting my wife's back with it...
Had a headache for the rest of the day...

I was obviously my own fault... people tend to seek shelter behind someone's back on that part of the ride...

A Fun ride though...

darthjohnny

Original Poster
In 2000 I was sitting in the back with my wife in front of me, and almost broke ny nose while hitting my wife's back with it...
Had a headache for the rest of the day...

I was obviously my own fault... people tend to seek shelter behind someone's back on that part of the ride...

A Fun ride though...

No I don't think it was your fault. No one could have possibly have anticipated that force.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Well... you're body tends to get thrown forward during splash down on ALL flume rides.

But the hill is not designed well for those speeds, and not ALL flume ride do that. Splash Mountain is very smooth considering its height and speed. Rip Saw Falls is too rough. I even think the redesigned the hill becaue of that.

DigitalDisney

When I went on Ripsaw Falls back when the park first opened, I remember getting hit by people in the log. It wasn't anything major, but it was definitely noticable.

The current version of the ride is definitely a lot smoother, but still packs plenty of Gs and air-time.

If only they'd fix/upgrade the AAs and scenes...

Legacy

But the hill is not designed well for those speeds, and not ALL flume ride do that. Splash Mountain is very smooth considering its height and speed. Rip Saw Falls is too rough. I even think the redesigned the hill becaue of that.

The hill wasn't redesigned... it was just rebuilt.

Splash Moutain was specifically designed to not stop as sharp, and has a shallower splash down as a result of it. The landing run is a lot shallower then the rest of the ride, which allows it to slow a good bit. There is still a jerk at the end though, that if someone is not paying attention, can cause them to get hurt (Like they put their head down to avoid getting wet, and have it slam into the seat in front of them... which does happen, I'm sure).

It's simple physics... the only way that no massive jolt can be felt is by extending the deceleration the length needed for the water to natural slow it to cruising speed. With a wheeled vehicle going 60 MPH, that could take up to 100 yards... and would mean no splash-down.

AndyMagic

its only a forum at the end of the day - no need to jump down peoples throats for merely suggesting something...

I didn't jump down your throat. I corrected an incorrect statement and asked you to not state your "suggestions" that are fabricated as fact. :brick:

kcnole

I just rode this for the first time on Monday and it didn't seem overly rough on the drop at all. It was a great ride considering how hot we were at that time of the day. the drop on JP seemed much more intense than the drop on dudley.

I do agree that the show scenes are laughable at times, but I still enjoyed the ride.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
I just rode this for the first time on Monday and it didn't seem overly rough on the drop at all. It was a great ride considering how hot we were at that time of the day. the drop on JP seemed much more intense than the drop on dudley.

I do agree that the show scenes are laughable at times, but I still enjoyed the ride.

That is because you didn't ride it when it first opened. That is what I was talking about.

MagliteL13

Hmmm, I'll ask one of my friends over there. I used to work with quite a bit of them, but now they're pretendin to be Mounties. Ha. Finally escaped the curse and got out of the temple.

rangerbob

They did re-design and rebuilt the drop chute. They added to the top of it so the drop wasn't as intense. As for broken bones the only broken bone that I've ever heard about and have seen is a broken nose. That was the reason for the re-design of the logs.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
They did re-design and rebuilt the drop chute. They added to the top of it so the drop wasn't as intense. As for broken bones the only broken bone that I've ever heard about and have seen is a broken nose. That was the reason for the re-design of the logs.

I thought so! Thanks for the info!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom