Question about docking station that uses thunderbolt

prberk

Original Poster
I have a Dell docking station for work (with two monitors and sound attached) that connects to my work-provided Dell tablet via USB-C with Thunderbolt.

I have to buy a new personal laptop, which I would also like to connect to the docking station from time to time, for the dual monitors. But I am not finding the Thunderbolt as easy to find in the ones I am looking at in my price range. Most business Inspirons have regular USB 2 or 3. I don’t know if there is an easy adapter to make, or if I find one that has a regular USB-C, that it would work.

Any ideas? Or good recommendations for a reasonable option?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
You might have more luck recreating this thread in the Technology subforum. 😊

You'll find it's also in General Chat & Non-WDW Discussion, just a few below Chit Chat.

StarWarsGirl

I have a Dell docking station for work (with two monitors and sound attached) that connects to my work-provided Dell tablet via USB-C with Thunderbolt.

I have to buy a new personal laptop, which I would also like to connect to the docking station from time to time, for the dual monitors. But I am not finding the Thunderbolt as easy to find in the ones I am looking at in my price range. Most business Inspirons have regular USB 2 or 3. I don’t know if there is an easy adapter to make, or if I find one that has a regular USB-C, that it would work.

Any ideas? Or good recommendations for a reasonable option?
Does your docking station have a USB C port or thunderbolt? Does the docking station provide power to your laptop?

lazyboy97o

While USB-C is great in having the one plug type for a bunch of different things it is incredibly obnoxious in having so many different things that use the same form factor. Something can fit but not work.

Thunderbolt is much more than USB. You might find a laptop with only USB-C ports that sort of works with the dock (like one monitor working) but you’ll need a true Thunderbolt port on the laptop to properly use it. An adaptor isn’t an option because you need the Thunderbolt hardware in the laptop in order to have the true Thunderbolt connection.

prberk

Original Poster
Does your docking station have a USB C port or thunderbolt? Does the docking station provide power to your laptop?
It has a Thunderbolt cable that fits a USB-C port (which on my work tablet is also a Thunderbolt port). And yes, it powers my work tablet when plugged into it.

I am trying to buy a laptop that I can also have that docking station plugged into it for the multiple monitors.

prberk

Original Poster
While USB-C is great in having the one plug type for a bunch of different things it is incredibly obnoxious in having so many different things that use the same form factor. Something can fit but not work.

Thunderbolt is much more than USB. You might find a laptop with only USB-C ports that sort of works with the dock (like one monitor working) but you’ll need a true Thunderbolt port on the laptop to properly use it. An adaptor isn’t an option because you need the Thunderbolt hardware in the laptop in order to have the true Thunderbolt connection.
Thank you.

StarWarsGirl

It has a Thunderbolt cable that fits a USB-C port (which on my work tablet is also a Thunderbolt port). And yes, it powers my work tablet when plugged into it.

I am trying to buy a laptop that I can also have that docking station plugged into it for the multiple monitors.
You're best off looking for another Dell laptop that has a thunderbolt port. Other brands (my go to is Lenovo) with a thunderbolt port may be compatible; then again, they may not be. I personally think Dells are just okay. Not the greatest in the world, but they're fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom