Question about backpacks in WDW

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I have never taken a backpack (or anything else for that matter) into the parks. Typically, we go back to the resort mid-day for a break, so it has never been necessary. On our up coming trip there will be a day when we will more than likely be in the parks from rope drop ( at MK) until after the first Fantasmic! Showing ( at HS). I'm thinking it may be necessary to have a backpack for that day. I would like to have on hand; a few bottled waters, ponchos, phone, iPods for the kids, camera, etc... My questions are: How big is too big? Can you take them on all rides? If not, which ones? The backpack that I was thinking of taking is a Northface that is the size of an average student backpack. Any and all advice/comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Jahona

Less is more. Try to find the smallest lightest bag to fit your need. By the end of the day your shoulders are not going to be your friend. You might be able to lighten the load by getting water at quick service locations instead of carrying several bottles of water.

I've never carried a backpack as I usually use a Maxpedition versipack e.d.c. bag. I can usually get a compact DSLR, several ponchos, a 7 inch tablet, and a larger water bottle. I was able to take it on all the rides with out issue. On most rides your going to have to sling the bag in front of you as it probably won't fit in the pouch.

CAPTAIN HOOK

We've always taken a rucksack into the parks with us. It will accommodate my camera and usually a second lens. There's room for sunscreen and other essentials.
Don't take more than you need (ipods, water ??)
In terms of capacity (litres) I have no idea on its size, but I would describe it as average. It will fit on all rides comfortably down by my feet.

momprincess

I bring a backpack on every trip to the parks, it's smaller then the size my teens take to school but big enough to carry a camera and phones and snacks for the day. It has mesh on the sides to carry water bottles also. You would want to have it small enough to carry with you on rides such as Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster or Expedition Everest to be able to carry it with you on these rides. The one I have is small enough to put it where your feet are with a leg thru one of the arm loops so it won't fly out. I found mine at Wallyworld and it was inexpensive.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
We've always taken a rucksack into the parks with us. It will accommodate my camera and usually a second lens. There's room for sunscreen and other essentials.
Don't take more than you need (ipods, water ??)
In terms of capacity (litres) I have no idea on its size, but I would describe it as average. It will fit on all rides comfortably down by my feet.[/QUOTE

We will be there April 5th - 10th. The week of Easter/Spring break. I figured the iPods might be good when we encounter extra long stand by lines. You are right about questioning the bottled waters though.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster

We will be there April 5th - 10th which is the week of Easter/Spring break. I figured it would be good to have iPods for the kids when we encounter extra long stand by lines. You are right to question the bottled waters though.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
Less is more. Try to find the smallest lightest bag to fit your need. By the end of the day your shoulders are not going to be your friend. You might be able to lighten the load by getting water at quick service locations instead of carrying several bottles of water.

I've never carried a backpack as I usually use a Maxpedition versipack e.d.c. bag. I can usually get a compact DSLR, several ponchos, a 7 inch tablet, and a larger water bottle. I was able to take it on all the rides with out issue. On most rides your going to have to sling the bag in front of you as it probably won't fit in the pouch.

Thanks for the reply! I will Google the bag you mentioned.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster

I probably will leave the water out. Also, I will not be the only one carrying the backpack. My husband will carry it for the most part. You know, to help out his delicate flower of a wife ;)

ratherbeinwdw

I carry a full-size clear backpack on days we need ponchos, sweaters, large camera, extra water etc. It's really a timesaver at the bag check stations. On other days, I carry a backpack purse. It holds everything, but it's small. When I carry the backpack purse, I put all my items in ziplock bags and pull them out and let them look in the bag. Saves tons of time and keeps their germ infected hands out of my purse and off my stuff.
A couple of trips ago, they even made people unzip their wallets, if they had a zipper. The cm said that anything with a zipper must be opened. That's the first time that has happened. It happened in each of the parks that trip.
After that, I just put my wallet in my pocket until we got through the checkpoint.

Clamman73

I probably will leave the water out. Also, I will not be the only one carrying the backpack. My husband will carry it for the most part. You know, to help out his delicate flower of a wife ;)
Bottled water in the Park is $2.50. I would bring a few bottles since you're already bringing a backpack in so the family isn't relying on getting water at a QS location.

draybook

A student sized backpack is just fine. That's what we take and it carries ponchos, lenses, autographs books, pens, sunscreen lotion, kleenex, chips, bottled water, and a few other doo-dads.

And Hook, are we talking about the same kind of ruck sack? The only kind I've ever had was the one in the service and there's no way I would be able to get one of those under my feet at any of the rides.

MickeyMomV

I would grab a couple of those water bottle "pouches". They are a heavy grade plastic bag with a water bottle top. That way they will take up no room. I've received a could as promo items but I have seen them at Dicks and MC Sports.
I would also recommend grabbing a locker when you get to park that way you don't have to worry about the bag at all.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I would grab a couple of those water bottle "pouches". They are a heavy grade plastic bag with a water bottle top. That way they will take up no room. I've received a could as promo items but I have seen them at Dicks and MC Sports.
I would also recommend grabbing a locker when you get to park that way you don't have to worry about the bag at all.

I do have some of those pouches. Didn't even think about them. Good tip. Thanks!

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
Bottled water in the Park is $2.50. I would bring a few bottles since you're already bringing a backpack in so the family isn't relying on getting water at a QS location.

Yes. Aside from the cost, I think it would be a colossal waste of time waiting in line for. From what I have been told quick service lines can be very long during peak times. I don't want to waste any valuable park time. Especially, when I would be paying the same price for one bottle that I would pay for nearly a case.

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
I carry a full-size clear backpack on days we need ponchos, sweaters, large camera, extra water etc. It's really a timesaver at the bag check stations. On other days, I carry a backpack purse. It holds everything, but it's small. When I carry the backpack purse, I put all my items in ziplock bags and pull them out and let them look in the bag. Saves tons of time and keeps their germ infected hands out of my purse and off my stuff.
A couple of trips ago, they even made people unzip their wallets, if they had a zipper. The cm said that anything with a zipper must be opened. That's the first time that has happened. It happened in each of the parks that trip.
After that, I just put my wallet in my pocket until we got through the checkpoint.
Thanks for the tip.

StarWarsGirl

I've taken my backpack that I use for school before. The only thing to be aware of when wearing a backpack is where you are in space. People who aren't used to wearing backpacks tend to whack you with them, so just be aware of that.

I never had any problems taking my medium size student backpack anywhere. It can be taken on most attractions. I like to put my legs in between the straps to secure it on rides such as Rock 'n Roller Coaster and TofT. On RnRC, try to get a row in the front of the car. There's more space there. If you were to take it to Epcot, you might be better off on Soarin' letting them store it for you rather than trying to shove it underneath.

I don't like putting my phone in the backpack. I don't like having it out of reach. I have a small pouch that I wear over my shoulder and keep my phone in. As others have said, pouches in your backpack are essential.

Now let's get into alternatives...

I do prefer carrying a large purse with a zipper as opposed to a backpack. I went last January with a friend, and we took one backpack that had our wallets, jackets, and other stuff in there, and alternated carrying it. It worked well for us especially with the jackets. Normally, I just carry a large purse that fits drinks and other miscellaneous items. Just make sure that if you get a tote bag or something large that it zips.

The other thing that may work well, depending on how old your kids are, is to let them start carrying some of their own stuff around. Last August, I had my brother in MK with me, lugging all his drinks in a plastic bag and such, and felt like a packmule. So I bought him a cinch bag in MK and let him carry around his poncho, umbrella, and drinks. I carried around the expensive stuff like his iPod, but it was a much lighter load for me with him carrying it. And believe it or not, he loves having his own bag. Makes him feel grown up, I guess. A cinch bag can go on their backs so they won't just put it down and leave it someplace. I just make sure that when he does take it off that he puts it back on and that it's shut tightly. At bag checks, it's not really and issue as it opens easily, and I find in most cases that they don't look as carefully at bags that kids are carrying. So this could also be an option if you've got older kids.

inchy warrior

Ive always taken an average size rucksack with us for camera,video camera,band aids. tissues, hand sanitiser,waterproof coats, beverages and snacks. Never had any problem getting on any rides or attractions with it. However, by the end of our two or three week holiday my shoulders could do with a good massage o_O

Ali in Wonderland

Original Poster
Ive always taken an average size rucksack with us for camera,video camera,band aids. tissues, hand sanitiser,waterproof coats, beverages and snacks. Never had any problem getting on any rides or attractions with it. However, by the end of our two or three week holiday my shoulders could do with a good massage o_O

Good to know about rides/attractions. I will not be doing all of the backpacking. Probably 25℅ ;)

pluto77

Yes. Aside from the cost, I think it would be a colossal waste of time waiting in line for. From what I have been told quick service lines can be very long during peak times. I don't want to waste any valuable park time. Especially, when I would be paying the same price for one bottle that I would pay for nearly a case.
You can always ask for a cup of water for free at quick service restaurants. They don't make you pay for a bottled water (not being snarky, just letting you know because I know there really are places outside of Disney that won't give you a free cup of water when they have bottled). You are right about the lines during peak times though. Having your own bottle would be more convenient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom