Prop in the backlot restauraunt in MGM is from...

doombuggie

Original Poster
IN the area that looks like garage with mechanics stuff in it.(to the left of the ordering station) There is a prop on top of the lockers that is actually the mold used to create a vehiclefeatured in Horizons(R.I.P) which I believe was on a docking station in the orange grove scene. Check it out next time you go to eat there.

-B

doombuggie

Original Poster
it is 100% true however i never took a pic of it....will someone do it for me??...if your looking at the registers...it is in the room just to the left of the counter.....near the staff entrance to the kitchen

Disney-Nautifan

The Horizons prop that you have noticed at the Backlot Express Restuarant is believed to be the hovercraft from the Mesa Verde scene of the extinct Epcot attraction. :)

However, what you saw was actually a prototype mold of the hovercraft which appered in Horizons. It is not the actual hovercraft prop from the attraction, but just a shell that Imagineers created before the real one was built. I know this because it is not painted, and lacks any rotors. In more simple terms, it is in a poor condition.

The actual hovercraft prop from Horizons actually still exists, and it now sits on the Backlot Tour at Walt Disney Studios Park in Disneyland Paris. Strangely though, the tour guide says that the hovercraft was from the 1998 film Armaggeddon. But we Disney fans know perfectly well that it came from Epcot, and it has never featured in any film.

I hope that this information helps you answering your question. :)

bye!

Disney-Nautifan

The yellow submarine, which I have seen before in a different photograph, that you are describing is not from Horizons in Epcot. In my opinion, I think it is rather from an old disney film, but I am not entirely sure. However, there is of course the yellow mini-sub that was in the undersea city scene. Both subs are not the same, but the mini-sub now resides in the Backlot Express Restuarant at Walt Disney Studios, Disneyland Paris. Prior it was on display at the Studio Backlot Tour at the same park.

Again answering your question, the boat that you said was also with the Horizons hovercraft and the unknown submarine was in fact from the Special Effects Water Tank of the Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios. However, that small boat existed in the show's original incarnation, which existed from 1989 to 2001. After 2001, the water tank was extensively refurbished to its current Pearl Harbour theme. Meanwhile, the small fishing boat dissappeared, and I now presume is with other old props somewhere in the studios, or was destroyed and suffered a more mysterious demise. Other than that, I have unfortunately no idea where this prop now exists. If that is what you saw, then it must have been re-painted in a green colour scheme which you described.

Aside from the fishing boat, a Nautilus submarine from the extinct 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea attraction did actually also sit in the water tank at the studios as part of the landscaping for the show. I saw the ship in 1999 when I visited WDW at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom