Progress being made on Pirates 6

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
It’s still early, but with all the buzz from numerous media sites over the past 72 hours, it appears that Disney is moving forward with the 6th installment of the franchise.

https://thedisinsider.com/2018/08/04/pirates-of-the-caribbean-6-moving-forward/

Here’s what we know so far.

Joachim Rønning is expected to return as director after co-directing DMTNT with Espen Sandberg. Joachim is currently directing Maleficent 2, which is still in filming and is scheduled to hit theaters May 29, 2020.

Reportedly, Ted Elliott is returning to the franchise and will reunite with his longtime writing partner Terry Rossio, and the two of them, along with Jeff Nathanson, are writing the story and the screenplay. DMTNT production designer Nigel Phelps is also supposed to return.

If Joachim is to be the director, production won’t begin until he’s done with Maleficent 2. So I’m thinking production could start mid-late 2019 or early-mid 2020, with a possible May 28, 2021 release, (Memorial Day weekend) which is scheduled for an untitled Disney live action film.

mf1972

only storyline i can think of is what happened at the end credits from DMTNT. otherwise i don’t know what direction this franchise will go

erasure fan1

only storyline i can think of is what happened at the end credits from DMTNT. otherwise i don’t know what direction this franchise will go
Well, it is pirates, so you can pretty much do anything. There is so much pirate lore to work from. I just hope they keep going with self contained stories that have a hint at what could be coming.

Tick Tock

as long as they’re not auctioning chickens in the next one ;)
I hear they're saving that storyline until after all other plot ideas have been used up.

potc6.png

CJR

I thought I saw something like this pop up on my newsfeed. I'm not surprised, especially if they go in the direction teased at the end of the last movie. If they're careful, they might put butts back in the seats at the theater again. Hopefully though, they build this up as the last true installment for a while. Six is a good number to end with, so long they do it right.

Wendy Pleakley

So is Johnny Depp back for this one? Honest question.

Hard to imagine a movie in this franchise without him.

I'm more concerned about the lack of Barbossa. Geoffrey Rush is so good in these movies, and his absence was really felt in the second film.

Either way, the fifth film was better than the 4th, so I'm cautiously optimistic about a sixth entry.

Walt Disney1955

Hard to imagine a movie in this franchise without him.

I'm more concerned about the lack of Barbossa. Geoffrey Rush is so good in these movies, and his absence was really felt in the second film.

Either way, the fifth film was better than the 4th, so I'm cautiously optimistic about a sixth entry.

I can't imagine it without him either. Just with all that seems to be going on with him I wonder. The last picture I saw of him he didn't look very healthy. Either way, a Pirates film can't be made without him can it? That would be like killing Luke Skywa..................ah, never mind.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Here's my thoughts on everything.

1. Joachim Ronning

I don't really care for the guy. He believes in using way too much cgi, which is the #2 reason why DMTNT was so bad. In his defense though, DMTNT was a low-budget film. ($230-$320 million) That's why non of the ships (the Pearl, Revenge, Essex, etc.) actually set sailed on water and were shot in front of blue screens instead. Now the Dying Gull did, but that's a much smaller caliber ship and Disney didn't build it. (privately owned) Also, there weren't many scenes where the ships were sailing in the daytime, and those scenes weren't very long anyways, (4-5mins at the most) so no need to spend a lot of money to build ships to sail on water when they're only going to be in 1-2 scenes in daylight that are only a few minutes long. But even if Disney allowed a higher budget, I believe we would of gotten the same cgi overrun film from Ronning. That's just the kind of director he is.

I would much rather have the man who started it all, Gore Verbinski, direct, but unfortunately, Gore's Disney days are probably over (hope I'm wrong) do to what happened with "The Lone Ranger". I'd even be ok with Rob Marshall directing. He did a much better job with "On Stranger Tides" than people give him credit for. Both of them are great directors and only use cgi when they have to.

2. Jeff Nathanson

GET RID OF HIM!!! The man is the #1 reason why DMTNT flat-out sucked. He practically went against everything that has been established in the previous films, such as the origin of Jack's compass, and Will's situation with the Dutchman, along with other things. Part of the reason why Johnny's acting was off, is because Jeff doesn't know how to write for him.

He also wasn't clear about a bunch of stuff, like, What happened to the Revenge? How did Marty reunite with Jack? How did Murtogg and Mullroy reunite with Barbossa? Why did Scrum leave Barbossa for Jack? If all Jack had to do was give up his compass for Salazar and his crew to be freed from the Devil's Triangle, then how come nothing happened when Jack gave his compass to Elizabeth in "Dead Man's Chest", or when he gave it to Will in "At Worlds End"? How does Salazar know that the key to his escape lies with Jack's Compass? Did Will quit ferrying souls to the afterlife? What happened to Bootstrap? Are we suppose to ignore the fact that Calypso still exist? (she does, right?) Is the Trident of Poseidon more powerful than Calypso? How did Jack and Barbossa know Carina's mother? How did Barbossa get to Shansa? Was Shansa in the same prison on St. Maarten that Jack and Carina were in? Since the Trident is some famous treasure that everyone in the movie has known about for some time, how come it's not mentioned in any of the previous films?

There's about 10 more questions I could ask, but I'll stop here.

Also, Jeff wasn't real creative with the dialogue. It felt like every sentence consisted of the words, dead, ghosts, trident, treasure, and curse. :banghead::banghead:

I would absolutely love it if Ted and Terry write the story and screenplay. When it comes to the writing, the franchise needs to be in their hands. They know it better than anyone, and they know how to write for Johnny.

3. Johnny Depp

If you like him or not, he's the face of the franchise. Idk how it could go on without him. Jerry Bruckheimer has voiced his opposition to Disney about moving on from Johnny. He's made it very clear that if they want to go in that direction, he has to step away from the franchise, and other future Disney films, as producer. That would be a major blow, not just to the franchise, but to the Studios as a whole if they lose Jerry. I could go into detail about why Johnny should continue as Jack, but I'm going to get to the main point. If Disney doesn't want to lose the support of the greatest movie producer of all time, and Pirates 6 to flop worse than DMTNT, Johnny will return. And he should, despite all the bad buzz about him.

If Disney really wants to make another Pirates film, I honestly think it would be better to do a backstory about Jack or Barbossa.

I don't think Disney can do another Pirates movie with Depp. After firing James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 for tweeting inappropriate jokes, I can't see them continuing to work with someone that allegedly did very inappropriate things.
If you haven't seen, Depp's latest film, City of Lies, was pulled from its release date amid all of the controversy surrounding Depp.
Warner Bros. has faced severe backlash for continuing to work with him in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.
And, if you've noticed, despite his SDCC appearance, marketing surrounding him for the movie has been minimal, despite his character's name being in the title.

erasure fan1

I don't think Disney can do another Pirates movie with Depp. After firing James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 for tweeting inappropriate jokes, I can't see them continuing to work with someone that allegedly did very inappropriate things.
This is going to be a big problem for Disney from now on. You can bet since Disney did this to Gunn, people are going dig up whatever dirt they can on everyone Disney hires.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom