Procedure for clearing the parks of guests, especially on wristband nights

KingStefan

Original Poster
Does anybody know the procedures the CMs are given to clear the parks of guests, especially on hard-ticket nights and EMH nights? I imagine the procedures might be different for all three conditions.

I know that on regular nights, the shops on Main Street are open for quite a long time after the published closing time. And I imagine how long they stay open varies with the crowd size that evening.

And I've been told that on EMH nights and hard-ticket nights, guests are allowed to stay and shop on Main Street for some time after the closing for regular guests. But how long can they stay? And will they be permitted to buy food?

I've noticed that the procedure in the lands in MK is to check wristbands on the way INTO the lands on the bridges, and not to permit non-wristbanded guests into the attractions, but I've never seen a non-wristbanded guest walking around being asked to leave. And is the procedure different in the lands and on Main Street and the hub?

So just what are the various procedures?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Judging by some nights I think it would require German Shepard's and some riot batons.

I was under the impression, ie read it here, that they were now trying to clear non band wearers from the parks?

jedimaster1227

The most common process is what many of us call "sweeps." Pairs of cast members will walk through the parks (at least for hard ticket events) carrying signs for the event, asking for proof that you are wearing your wristband. If you are, then they pass you without a further word. If you aren't, then they send you to the front. The entire park will be swept by the end of the general park hours (sweeps begin about 30 minutes before the event officially begins). By that time, all non-banded guests will be out of the park.

Rob562

Also, on hard-ticket event nights, they close all of the stores on the East side of Main Street (like the ice cream shop, bakery, jeweler, etc) at park closing time. These stay closed until some point, probably after the above-mentioned sweep is done.
In addition to encouraging people to leave (while still buying plush and clothing across the street at the Emporium), it helps the Guest flow because they divide Main Street and try to keep exiting people to the West and entering Guests to the East.

On EMH nights, I don't believe this is the practice. (I haven't stayed on-site since the current system of EMH started)

-Rob

TrojanUSC

The process is called a "push out." It falls under WDW's 3 types of exits/closures of the park. This might be a little long, but will give you an idea of the type of emergency preparedness that goes on at WDW.

Plan A- "As Normal"
Guests exit via the front of the park, with security starting at the back of the park, pushing guests towards the front. Cast Members at the various shops/attractions/restaurants are required to do a full walk-thru of the attraction and queue to make sure it is clear of day guests. Guest Service Managers in the various areas are required to report to the park duty manager when their area is clear of day guests. Security maintains a checklist of these and will then sweep the lands one last time to ensure the area is free of day guests.

On hard ticket nights and in situations where the park closes early (9/11), shops that would normally remain open later to accommodate guests shopping close with the park (with a few exceptions, depending on the situation)

Surprisingly, this is not normally an issue as guests are pretty aware when they need to go. Nevertheless, security and attractions cast members help ensure people leave in a timely fashion.

Plan B- "Backstage/Blow Out" This happens when the park is forced to close for a major security threat that requires people to get out of the park as quickly as possible (bomb threat, etc). While bomb threats have happened, it has never happened in a full-park setting to date. The large gates at various locations are opened and cast members direct guests backstage to a safe location (generally WDW transportation busses who will drive guests to the front of the park or parking lot). Similarly, on very busy days, the Magic Kingdom park will open gates on the side of Main Street to allow guests to walk back stage, bypassing the crowds/parade on main street.

Plan C- "Take Cover" This has never happened, but in case of a tornado or other extreme situation, guests are directed into pre-designated "secure" buildings or areas. At the Magic Kingdom, this consists of the tunnels beneath the park. Normal park capacity is determined by the number of people that can safely fit in these secure areas.

wdwfan100

Judging by some nights I think it would require German Shepard's and some riot batons.

I was under the impression, ie read it here, that they were now trying to clear non band wearers from the parks?

If that is the case, it does not seem like such a perk for the resort guests. It would seem that doing the sweeps would be needed. If I goto EMH and still have to wait in long lines every where, becasue day trippers are still hanging out. Now I need to say tht I am frequently a day tripper and I mean no disrespect for anyone who visits the park and does not stay at the resort. Just seems like Disney goesout of their way to say how EMH are for the resort guests. It would be a little misleading if they did not ask those who didn't stay on the resort to leave.

WildLodgeFan

Similarly, on very busy days, the Magic Kingdom park will open gates on the side of Main Street to allow guests to walk back stage, bypassing the crowds/parade on main street.

I experienced this on my last trip to the kingdom - which was on the 4th of July. We were returning to the park a little bit before the fireworks and they had us go through the gates to backstage to bypass the crowds waiting for the fireworks on main street. It was definitely crazy crowded that night - but beautiful fireworks as always!

wdwfan100

people without wrist bands arent forced to leave, but cast members arent allowed to let them into attractions

So they can get into line and cause longer waits, only to not be allowed into the attraction? I think that would cause more hard feelings than being asked to leave

as ive seen it the past few times, the CMs at the entrance to rides will check for wristbands, telling those without that the park is closing. just by doing that filters most non-wristbands out of the park or at least to the shops near the exits, and ive never seen disney push anyway AWAY from shopping. ive never really seen people abuse this, but then again i wasnt looking

figmentmom

as ive seen it the past few times, the CMs at the entrance to rides will check for wristbands, telling those without that the park is closing. just by doing that filters most non-wristbands out of the park or at least to the shops near the exits, and ive never seen disney push anyway AWAY from shopping. ive never really seen people abuse this, but then again i wasnt looking

Guests without wristbands are perfectly welcome to shop and eat, but, since they can't ride the rides, most of them prefer to leave. Disney's very courteous about it. :)

landauh

This is the way it works for EMH and hard ticket nights.

When the park closes and the event starts CMs are positioned at the very ends of the park and end of attractions queues. Anyone in the queue before this time is allowed on the attraction but no one without a wristband is allowed after this point. When the last non-party guests finishes the attraction, the CMs start to move toward the Hub. Each guest is required to show a wristbadn to get past the CMs. If the CMs come upon non-party guests eating or shopping, a CM is left in the area and the sweep continues to clear the lands. The CM that has a non-party group exclorts the group out when they have finished eating/shopping (if they take too long a manager is called and talks with the group about leaving).

CMs are placed at all doors of attractions, food service, and merchandise shops to turn away any non-party guests. It take about 20 - 30 minutes to clear the lands to the Hub and then management works the guests out of the park so it is available only to those that have wristbands.

KingStefan

Original Poster
Guests without wristbands are perfectly welcome to shop and eat, but, since they can't ride the rides, most of them prefer to leave. Disney's very courteous about it. :)

(1) during evening EMH, I have seen CMs posted at the bridges from the hub to the lands turning people away without wristbands. This was several years ago, and may have changed.

(2) is this true for hard-ticket events as well? A large part of why I pay extra is so that I can see the parades and see the fireworks up close. The P&P parade is really spectacular! And the fireworks are quite different from other displays. It doesn't seem right if a day visitor can stay for the parades and fireworks.

figmentmom

(1) during evening EMH, I have seen CMs posted at the bridges from the hub to the lands turning people away without wristbands. This was several years ago, and may have changed.

(2) is this true for hard-ticket events as well? A large part of why I pay extra is so that I can see the parades and see the fireworks up close. The P&P parade is really spectacular! And the fireworks are quite different from other displays. It doesn't seem right if a day visitor can stay for the parades and fireworks.

I can't speak to the hard-ticket events, as I've only worked EMH (I'm a seasonal CM in Fantaslyland Attractions every July). (That's probably why I've never been posted at the bridges from the hub to the lands, either.) At Attractions, the greeter at the rides checks the wristbands, as already mentioned. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom