Do you watch ride videos from home?

• Yes

Votes: 44 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

NickMaio

Original Poster
Just wondering if anyone else watches Point of View <POV> ride videos just for fun?
I have found myself catching a few each week. We were not able to make it to WDW this past summer. I find it relaxing and it seems to keep my WDW blues down - just dying to plan our next vacation.

Here is one of my favs -
TTA - Whisk me away :)

Have a great weekend everyone.

disneyworlddad

We watch the TTA a fair amount with my son. It was his favorite ride when we took him over a year ago now and he calls it his choo choo. We also watch the country bears and occasionally watch the tiki room.

JIMINYCR

I watch them all the time. Theres nothing worse than missing the action at Disney. The POV videos help some by giving me the next best thing to being there, with the in the ride car myself feeling. One day we'll get seats at home that will give us real life action feelings from our seats as well while the videos are going on. Now that will be a thrill.

mitchk

My daughter and I watch them all the time. They are a great way to get hyped up for a upcoming trip, or to cure a little post disney trip depression. I love watching them by myself though, sometimes I see something I didn't notice on a pervious trip, then when I'm there I will look for it. I'm off today, I already watched Martins latest Imangation tribute. Some on ride videos sound good right about now! I leave in 21 days! Thanks for the idea!

DisAl

Not only the rides, but the parades. Watching WDW parades is my (almost) 3 year old grandson's favorite activity when he is here. He has some of them memorized to the point that he knows who is coming next before you can see them.

Raineman

I watch them all the time. Theres nothing worse than missing the action at Disney. The POV videos help some by giving me the next best thing to being there, with the in the ride car myself feeling. One day we'll get seats at home that will give us real life action feelings from our seats as well while the videos are going on. Now that will be a thrill.
I think the next evolution in POV videos will be 4K, 3D 360 degree VR videos, then a bit further down the line, add the motion chair, as you mentioned. If that comes to fruition, it wouldn't be as good as being there, but definitely the most realistic next best thing we've ever had. The only complaint I have about traditional POV videos is that I can only see in the direction that the camera is currently pointing, and 360 degree VR would allow me to look wherever I want. The idea of riding HM or BTMRR while sitting in my basement at home is exciting.

DisneyDoctor

I love watching walk-throughs. I'll do a resort walk through if I'm really missing Disney and am thinking of a favorite trip at a specific resort. I also love watching walk throughs of world showcase. Idk, there's something calming about seeing my favorite place in the world. And of course pov on my favorite rides. I watch a pov of Splash quite often.

Edit: these are often the perfect study breaks. After hours and hours of learning about liver metabolism, a little Disney is just what the doctor ordered!

Chef Mickey

What I do know is while people watch them, they rarely watch their own. This is mostly because what’s on YouTube is so much better than what you’ll capture.

Moral of the story: put your phone away on rides.

Last edited:

yedliW

But I won't watch a new ride (Frozen, Avatar) or one that has been newly referbed (major overhaul.. like the new Soarin') or a new show (HeA) until I have had a chance to do the for myself. Although, I did watch the one for the new Pirates at Shanghai, since it is unlikely that I will ever get to experience it in real life..

DisneyDoctor

What I do know is while people watch them, they rarely watch their own. This is mostly because what’s on YouTube is so much better than what you’ll capture.

Moral of r the story: put your phone away on rides.
This is soooooo freaking true!!! It's my biggest pet peeve during fireworks shows. While watching HEA, I saw a sea of phones in front of me, and it drove me nuts! Seriously, put your phone down and take it all in. If you wanna see it again, go on YouTube and watch a video shot on a much higher quality camera and much better production.

yedliW

This is soooooo freaking true!!! It's my biggest pet peeve during fireworks shows. While watching HEA, I saw a sea of phones in front of me, and it drove me nuts! Seriously, put your phone down and take it all in. If you wanna see it again, go on YouTube and watch a video shot on a much higher quality camera and much better production.

The phones aren't as bad as the iPads.. just leave them home. or.. if you have to have them with you.. leave them in the hotel.. there is no reason to bring them into the parks.. Not worth the risk to have something happen to them..

DisneyDoctor

The phones aren't as bad as the iPads.. just leave them home. or.. if you have to have them with you.. leave them in the hotel.. there is no reason to bring them into the parks.. Not worth the risk to have something happen to them..
Haha I always find that so amusing! People taking photos and videos with iPads in public. So weird!

JIMINYCR

I think the next evolution in POV videos will be 4K, 3D 360 degree VR videos, then a bit further down the line, add the motion chair, as you mentioned. If that comes to fruition, it wouldn't be as good as being there, but definitely the most realistic next best thing we've ever had. The only complaint I have about traditional POV videos is that I can only see in the direction that the camera is currently pointing, and 360 degree VR would allow me to look wherever I want. The idea of riding HM or BTMRR while sitting in my basement at home is exciting.
Yeah... Sometimes as the videos going I'm screaming... turn the camera there...look there...over there.... youre missing some great stuff!! ;);)

Cmdr_Crimson

Best version of POV's are the Theater based one's as many of them are fairly well done and I watch these on my projector in my room...
Original Star Tours

Star Tours The Adventures Continue

Circle of Life: An Environmental Tale

Martin's Tributes of Muppetvision & HISTA.

Cmdr_Crimson

And for the Universal Fans...
Back to The Future: The Ride

The Simpsons Ride

The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera

And Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast

OliveMcFly

We usually watch them when we feel withdrawal. I'll ask the kids what their favorite ride is and they're amazed this exists, even though they're on YouTube for hours at a time.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I like to share ride videos with my kids. My daughter gets nervose about rides she can't see in action. So we watch ride videos as part of our vacation prep. There was a bad incident 2 years ago when I surprised her with a trip to DL (literally we are getting on a plane right now) and we did not do our normal ride prep and she freaked out in the park and refused to ride anything. I had to pick her up kicking and screaming and put her on the Little Mermaid ride because she somehow got it in her head went upside down. After that, the trip went better. But now I always show her ride videos.

AJDMB05

I like to share ride videos with my kids. My daughter gets nervose about rides she can't see in action. So we watch ride videos as part of our vacation prep. There was a bad incident 2 years ago when I surprised her with a trip to DL (literally we are getting on a plane right now) and we did not do our normal ride prep and she freaked out in the park and refused to ride anything. I had to pick her up kicking and screaming and put her on the Little Mermaid ride because she somehow got it in her head went upside down. After that, the trip went better. But now I always show her ride videos.
The worst thing I ever did to myself as a kid was watch those vacation planning videos. I would freak myself out and think the rides were more intense than they actually were. Pretty sure the way they portrayed Pirates back on the 1994 VHS (!) kept me off the ride until I turned 7 or 8. Same with Splash Mountain, they filmed the drop so it looked like you were straight down, Tower of Terror style and young me couldn't reconcile that. I live for new 4K quality POV videos on YouTube these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom