Post-Disney Blues

Cat_M

Original Poster
How do you lot cope with the PDBs?

We’re in the UK so it’s very expensive to go to Disney World which means huge gaps before we can go again.

The kids are growing up...will we ever be able to go again...why did it go so quickly... 😭

mf1972

for us, we would look at photos we took on the trip, or watch some video we took. sadly, reality sets in rather quick & we’re back to our daily lives.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The DVC was our cure for this. I still get sad at the end of every trip but I know that I will have another one coming in just a few months and a whole new adventure to look forward to. I know the DVC is not "for everybody" but if you're really committed to going and it makes you that sad to not know when your next trip will be maybe you could buy enough resale points to at least net you one trip per year and then you'd always be able to know when your next trip would be. Another way I cope with not being there is to remind myself of the crowd levels at certain times and that makes me not miss it as much. I'm actually a UPS man and Christmas is obviously the craziest time of the year for me and I would love to see the parks decorated but can't get down there at that time so I just always tell myself "well the crowds would be really crazy anyway" and that makes me feel a little better about it. Very little but still. LOL!

jloucks

How do you lot cope with the PDBs?

We’re in the UK so it’s very expensive to go to Disney World which means huge gaps before we can go again.

The kids are growing up...will we ever be able to go again...why did it go so quickly... 😭

It is really tough. Especially when you realize it might be your last trip ever. I am in that boat, I am not 100% sure we (as a family) will ever go again. Disney is helping tho, by packing the parks with such giant mobs that going again is less appealing.

Speaking of "quickly" and "it", we also have to deal with our very limited lifespans. I am not the same physical specimen I was a decade ago. In another decade, I shudder to think. I don't think I will have the stamina necessary for the parks next decade.

The first person that says "get a scooter" goes on my list. :p;) *kidding*

Our trip is in June and I'm already thinking of this. My husband doesn't feel the funds will be there for a trip in 2019. My children now 16 and 13 are growing so fast and college is around the corner. So will we ever get to go back as a family? I feel like squeezing in as many trips as I can before they graduate. Once at college/university I know my daughter will likely do summer internships and study abroad perhaps so the summer family vacation may disappear not to mention the cost of college making it impossible. I have been fortunate enough to go to Disney with my kids since she was 4 though we didn't make it every year. Her running around Carribean Beach's lake in a little white sundress, riding Thunder Mountain at night with them sitting next to me was sheer joy, walking through Osborne lights and then eating chocolate cake for my bday, all of us dressing up as Mad Hatters for the MNSSHP. The list goes on and on. Memories I will always cherish. I so hope there is a way to continue making them. Best of luck with your post Disney blues. I know it's tough.

macefamily

We started visiting Disney yearly (sometimes bi-yearly) when I worked for a company that was based in Palm Bay, FL. The family accompanied me on some business trips which saved us a few bucks. We've done this for twenty years now so we've been blessed. But like others have said on this thread, the kids are in college and it's getting tougher. Even though we do this yearly, the return home is always accompanied by the "Disney blues." I used to put the Magic Kingdom cam as my wallpaper on my laptop from disneylivecams.com. However, that has since been removed. It takes me a good three or four weeks to get back to normal.

Michaelson

Just want to say we didn't start going to WDW until our daughters were in their 30's. There's just a different level of 'fun' involved in 'adulting' with grown 'children' at WDW that you will NEVER understand until you do it with your grown kids! Believe me, it's been fun in the past, but the best is yet to come after they enter early adulthood! Trust me! :) Anyway, to the point of the thread, we just look at least trips photos and plan toward next years trip.

Driver

I used to have the same sentiments before I lived here (11 miles away) and after being able to go on a whim whenever I feel like it I can tell you the excitement wears off. And I can tell you I never thought I would utter these words. I still love the parks and go as a guest often but........ I know I'm fortunate when I read all your post and I relate to the days when I too anticipated my precious time at the parks. Please keep them coming it reminds me how lucky I am 😊

jloucks

Our trip is in June and I'm already thinking of this. My husband doesn't feel the funds will be there for a trip in 2019. My children now 16 and 13 are growing so fast and college is around the corner. So will we ever get to go back as a family? I feel like squeezing in as many trips as I can before they graduate. Once at college/university I know my daughter will likely do summer internships and study abroad perhaps so the summer family vacation may disappear not to mention the cost of college making it impossible. I have been fortunate enough to go to Disney with my kids since she was 4 though we didn't make it every year. Her running around Carribean Beach's lake in a little white sundress, riding Thunder Mountain at night with them sitting next to me was sheer joy, walking through Osborne lights and then eating chocolate cake for my bday, all of us dressing up as Mad Hatters for the MNSSHP. The list goes on and on. Memories I will always cherish. I so hope there is a way to continue making them. Best of luck with your post Disney blues. I know it's tough.

Your kids are super close to the same age as mine (14 16). In the same boat. Shutterfly books for each trip on the coffee table helps. College costs are a real prohibitor for us as well. I think this is an important expense to remind people about. Personally, putting Disney trips higher priority than college funding is bad parenting.

Your kids are super close to the same age as mine (14 16). In the same boat. Shutterfly books for each trip on the coffee table helps. College costs are a real prohibitor for us as well. I think this is an important expense to remind people about. Personally, putting Disney trips higher priority than college funding is bad parenting.
Hopefully once out of college and working they can take me to Disney! 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom