Port Orleans

tnchefbear

I have been looking through the site for awhile now and never see anything about Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. I know they were closed for rehab for what seemed like forever, and French Quarter was not open at all when I was a Cast Member at Epcot. So what gives?

Plutoboy

Hey there!! I was just looked on the Disney site and both resorts are listed.....you just have to look under DTD Resort area hotels. I believe that Riverside is still going through its refurbishment but they are doing it section by section so there really isn't a need for the whole resort to be closed. French Quarter has been completed for quite a while now.

Upvote 0

Plutoboy

Absolutely right!!! POFQ was closed down after 9/11 because of the down turn in tourism... this is also why they slowed down the work on Pop Century.

Upvote 0

Plutoboy

Definitely!! I worked for Disney at the time and I probably have the article from Eyes & Ears somewhere.... The resort sat empty for months, no reservations were taken for it and no changes were made to it. What else could it have possibly been??

Upvote 0

daguru

Both of the Port Orleans resorts to excellent, French Quarter and Riverside, stayed at both in the last year... both have also been open for a while now...

In fact, I think Port Orleans is celebrating it's 15th Anniversary...

Upvote 0

jcat2312

We stayed at POR in September. This is our favorite resort and the only one we will stay at. Even our 5 year old daughter quickly fell in love with the resort. We go back there in 48 days!!!

Upvote 0

dh999

We just gat back and stayed at POFQ for 9 nights and it looks great. There was some painting of the buildings going on and one of the outside fountains was turned off for the first few days, but there was definately no shortage of people staying at either one.

Upvote 0

brertigger

Plutoboy said:
Absolutely right!!! POFQ was closed down after 9/11 because of the down turn in tourism... this is also why they slowed down the work on Pop Century.

Yup, I remember a little while back when POFQ was closed. They turned off some of the outside lights and had these huge planters blocking off all the roads and sidewalks going to the resort. It was so sad to see a Disney resort shut down like that (although it did make the shared bus lines shorter).

Upvote 0

cdunbar

Well not to rain on everyone's parade but I remember there being an article around that time about the POR and the fact that is was closed not only b/c of a tourism drop but the main reason was b/c something was up with the buildings something like astfetis or something, I dont clearly remember what it was but I do remember it was something that would endanger people and hence the closing but then again our local has been wrong on several occasions about other various items. Anyone else ever hear this?

Upvote 0

Loretta

dolbyman said:
thought disney is havin record visitor counts lately ..you sure it was closed because of 911 ?
We stayed at POR in early Dec. 2001 and not only was POFQ closed, so was the mansion part of POR. Was very dead. There were many times my dh and I actually had the bus all to ourselves. Nice, but very sad.

Upvote 0

Loretta

dolbyman said:
thought disney is havin record visitor counts lately ..you sure it was closed because of 911 ?
We stayed at POR in early Dec. 2001 and not only was POFQ closed, so was the mansion part of POR. Was very dead. There were many times my dh and I actually had the bus all to ourselves. Nice, but very sad.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Loretta said:

It was a sad time when they had the resort closed, but I still went down in December 2001 too. However, because things were so bad back then, I was able to get a rate at the Grand Floridian of $179 per night which is where we stayed that week. The parks weren't crowded at all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom