Popcorn stand by Main Street Chamber of Commerce gone for good?

ryan1

Original Poster
There has been a popcorn stand in front of the Main Street Chamber of Commerce for at least 30 years and the last two visits (October and last weekend) its been gone. Anyone know if its just being refurbished or is it gone for good? I've never seen it not there.

geekza

I don't know if it's gone for good, but it wouldn't surprise me. Pre-packaged popcorn sold in the candy store is likely more profitable. We all know that Iger would rather smell money than fresh popcorn. ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't know if it's gone for good, but it wouldn't surprise me. Pre-packaged popcorn sold in the candy store is likely more profitable. We all know that Iger would rather smell money than fresh popcorn. ;)

Quiet, you. ;)

The freshly popped popcorn smell wafting towards you as you enter Main Street from under the train station is one of those little things that makes the Magic Kingdom... the Magic Kingdom. But if it saves a few pennies... :banghead:

jt04

The popcorn smell sells product. This was known long before Iger.

I'm calling this a fake crisis with all due respect to the OP who I believe is sincere.

Orville.

ToTBellHop

How do $15 designer concession cart cupcakes smell?

Just asking for a friend...

24K-magic.png

02-bruno-mars-24k-vid-2016-billboard-1548.jpg

DisneyJoe

All of those $10-$20+ refillable popcorn buckets need someplace to refill in the park, even if the refill is only $1.75....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've gotten popcorn refills "on the mouse" more than once. My 8 year old goes with the bucket and two $1 dollar bills to a popcorn stand. Several cast members have refilled it for free.

Nice! I would definitely make it a point to thank the CM who did that.

And... I'm going to try that with my daughter the next time I'm there. :D

JoeCamel

Quiet, you. ;)

The freshly popped popcorn smell wafting towards you as you enter Main Street from under the train station is one of those little things that makes the Magic Kingdom... the Magic Kingdom. But if it saves a few pennies... :banghead:
The popcorn smell sells product. This was known long before Iger.

I'm calling this a fake crisis with all due respect to the OP who I believe is sincere.

Orville.
I have heard it said that Roy decided the cart would be placed at the entrance to the show. Pretty sure it will come back. They did the same for the Liberty Square cart back when I still went to WDW. Came back in a month or two.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Nice! I would definitely make it a point to thank the CM who did that.

And... I'm going to try that with my daughter the next time I'm there. :D
Oh we did. Doesn't happen more often than it happens, but last time we were there it happened 2 out of 6 times over the course of a week...

TrojanUSC

This cart is crucial for two reasons:

1) WDI likes the smell of popcorn as you are entering Main Street. It goes with the (somewhat made up after the fact) story that the entire front section of the park is essentially the experience of seeing a movie (train station acts as the curtains, posters on the walls are previews, names on the windows are the credits, etc). The popcorn scent is crucial.

2) The cart is considered a courtesy cart and is the only cart that is always open until after park close, to ensure guests have a spot to buy water or a drink if needed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom