Trip Report POP Century (Magic Bands Test Vacation)

I'm going to skip all the pre-trip shenanigans and the car ride from Jersey to Orlando, and just dive in. Forgive me, this is my first go around with doing a report.

Day 1: Arrive at POP. Check-in was a breeze. DW checked in online before we left the house. We ended up on the third floor of building 4 (60's building) with a beautiful view of the lake. Being the Disney geek that I am, we basically grabbed the magic bands, threw the luggage into the room and headed off to the Magic Kingdom.

Keep in mind, my youngest DS will be turning 5 next month, so the number of "regular" rides was generally limited to BLSRS, TS, HM, POTC, JC, IASW, and the carousel. This year was a whole new ballgame. Jungle Cruise was closed for refurb (bummer), but Splash Mountain took its place with some initial hesitation. Crowds, as expected, were largely western European, but not overwhelming. With a little help from fast pass+, we managed:

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Tomorrowland Speedway
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
Under The Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid

Having two DSs, UTS went over like a fart in church. Overall, I was pleased with the amount of rides accomplished in one day.

As far as dining, we've been using the DDP with a quick and a table service. For day one, we broke up the day with a quick at The Launching Pad, and actually were able to eat inside! For dinner, my older DS chose T-Rex for his birthday dinner. I've never gone wrong with steak and potatoes there. Two hours of swimming in the Hippy Dippy Pool later and day one came to a close.

Day 2: EPCOT and the eating disaster. I like going to EPCOT. My family does too. This year, not so much. For years, my younger DS was not tall enough and meant ride limitations. In fact, this year was the best for rides. The Living Seas, Spaceship Earth, and Ellen's Energy Adventure were broken up by extended waiting in lines. Not this year. This year we were able to hit:

Spaceship Earth
Test Track
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Mission: Space (Mild)
Soarin'
The Living Seas
Journey into Imagination
Maelstrom

Where we went wrong was timing food intake. I like turkey and naturally thought I would like turkey legs. I did not. Hours of, "I'm not hungry!", quickly turned a magical day into a fantasmic nightmare. Top it off with no one enjoying the buffet at the Cape May Cafe, day two food wise could have been planned better. Next year, there will be forced feedings!

All in all, 16 rides in two days has one feeling good about himself.

Day 3: Hollywood Studios from a new angle. I don't know why, but I have failed miserably to see the Indiana Jones stunt show since the late 90s. I've been 9 times since '95 and each of the last five. Any way. While they both were able to height wise, both sons were unable courage wise to go on The Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster. I was able to convince them to take a break to watch the Lights, Motors, Action stunt show. Fast Pass+ ready, we entered the express entrance less than 5 mins before general seating. As we headed for the top of the grand stands, a cast member stopped us to invite us to sit in the director's chairs. They were excellent seats for a very well done show.

While not as many rides, as options are limited, we managed:

Toy Story Midway Mania
The Legend of Jack Sparrow
The Great Movie Ride
Star Tours
Lights, Motors, Action!
Studio Backlot Tour
Fantasmic!

We did the Fantasmic package for a late lunch at Mama Melrose, which was delicious. I swear we get the same waitress every year there, not that it is a bad thing either. You can't go wrong with calimari and steak for a meal.

For Fantasmic, even with the package, we generally end up sitting towards the right side, near the top. This year was different. We actually ended up front and center in the first row. We got soaked, but on a hot and humid evening, it was glorious.

Day 4: Revelations at the Animal Kingdom. In the past, the day at the Animal Kingdom tended to be very short. An extended stay at Rafiki's Planet Watch, hop on Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Kali River Rapids to finish up. DS2 being tall enough opened a lot of doors, and the My Disney Experience app made it so we knew what our menu options were at all the restaurants ahead of time. In addition to the regulars, I managed to get the kids on to Dinosaur, which was described as rumbly and fast by DS2. All enjoyed the ride. The last ride of the day for us was Expedition Everest. My older DS was glad to sit in the back, until he realized the ride went backwards. Overall it was a great ride to finish off a great day.

Rafiki's Planet Watch
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Kali River Rapids
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest

As far as dining goes, we had an awesome lunch at the Yak & Yeti Restaurant. I had the steak and shrimp, but the highlight was watching DS2 mixing Sweet & Sour and Hot sauces for his chicken. It was basically an extremely delayed reaction. We always each get a water in addition to our tea/soda/etc when we eat out, which was convenient because DS1 thought drinking three glasses of water would help when he really needed to just eat more fries.

The biggest revelation of the day occurred after we left the parks. Due to our room location and proximity to the parks, we were actually able to watch the majority of Illuminations from right outside our hotel room.

Day 5: The Exciting Last Hurrah. The last day in the parks was the most thrilling. My DW was determined to ride The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, so while we watched Illuminations from outside our room, I used the My Disney Experience app to book fast passes for the final day. Thank God for that app. I was able to book so many fast passes, that it made each day more fulfilling not spending too much time waiting in lines. While the kids were more excited to get off the ride than get on, the following 90 minutes were amazing. We managed to ride Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad back-to-back-to-back. DS1 is now determined to ride those three in addition to the new Seven Dwarfs Minecart ride next year.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Mickey's Philharmagic
Prince Charming Regal Carousel
It's A Small World

Final tally: 5 Days. 4 parks. 35 attractions. 10 hours swimming. Non-resort eating at T-Rex, Cape May Cafe (eh), Mama Melrose, and Yak & Yeti. For anyone staying at POP Century anytime soon, I highly recommend the nachos. You were issued jerk potato chips, but topped with salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, onions, and jalapenos will brighten your day! I also recommend using the bridge between POP and Art of Animation to watch the Illuminations fireworks.

My first trip report. Hopefully not the last. Hoping to stay in an All-Start Music Suite in 2014.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom