polynesian vs wilderness lodge

party like it's 99

Original Poster
hello! my family is planning a trip for january and have stayed at the polynesian about ten times before since i was five years old. in an attempt to shake things up a bit, we're contemplating staying at the wilderness lodge. a couple members of my family are a bit apprehensive, so i was just looking for feedback and opinions. what are the perks of the wilderness lodge and is transportation from park to park ever an issue (we've never stayed anywhere without a monorail)?

zurgandfriend

We haved stayed at both, and yes it's a hard choice. Wilderness Lodge has a great lobby and IMHO a better pool but it's not on the monorail so you must bus or boat where you want to go and the rooms are smaller. Polynesian has Ohana and Kona Cafe, bigger rooms which are being refurbished, and is on the monorail and within walking distance of the TTC. For what it's worth we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge several times then started trying monorail resorts now my family won't stay anywhere but a monrail resort

s&k'smom

As much as I love the Poly and I do I understand the wanting of a change so I would go with the WL. Though it doesn't have the monorail riding the boat back "home" at night with the twinkling lights, tall trees and light from the hotel is wonderful. One of my hubby's fav's.

zero creativity

We were thinking about doing a split stay between the Poly and another resort. I was thinking about Wilderness Lodge but wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money over a moderate. Are there really any differences between WL and POFQ that make it worth the extra money? Also, is the boat the only way to get to and from the Magic Kingdom?

James Clifton

Go to the Poly ...if...you like it that much! I guess I've stayed there enough(10 times).Last few times ....it had changed(NOT for the better).So ...I went to the WL(6 times this yr.will be #7)!I no longer have any desire to stay at the Poly!
Jim

Zman-ks

Stay at the Polynesian. Tell your mom not to be so cheap.
75.gif

This...Poly is worth it! :)

bethymouse

I am not so sure the POLY is quite "worth it". Although it is quite a fabulous resort.
The WL is wonderful! The boat launch to the MK is quite convenient and pleasant.:D
I'd say WL if the monorail is the only reason why you want the POLY.:D If you're going to eat at 'Ohana and Kona Cafe, then the whole "POLY" experience may be worth it. I do love being able to watch the fireworks from the beach at night at the POLY.:D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I like both of these resorts but I'm all for switching things up. If you have stayed a lot at the Poly then give the WL a try. WL is nice quiet and compact. The lobby it amazing to relax in and the pool area is neat as the small streat starts in the lobby and ends in the pool. Plus WL has a "geyser". You can still go over to the Poly to eat at 'Ohana if you want.

75disney

Love both resorts, but for a trip in Jan. go with WL. The lobby with the fireplace and wood decor is perfect for a chillier winter day. It feels cozier than the Poly. Grab a rocking chair in front of the fire and just relax. Plus if it is a little chillier, the room wings are all connected to the main lobby. The boat ride to MK is very relaxing and a fun way to get there. You can also opt for a bus to MK. Either choice, you will be staying at a great resort.

DisneyDebNJ

This is exactly the same question I asked myself last November, for this year's trip. The Polynesian is my home away from home, but this year switched to WL (actually booked a 1 BR, we are used to the larger rooms at the Poly) Like previous posters have already pointed out, both have pros and cons. (Buses vs monorail, etc) We visited WL during our vacation last October, and fell in love with it. We did make ADRs at both Kona and Ohana and do plan to watch Wishes on the Poly beach, and stop in and say hello to some fav CMs. Personally, I say give it a shot! I may miss the Poly a tad, but I do know, I will have 10 days to make a brand new set of memories :) Good Luck!!!

Angie Heck

Before my first trip my fiancée and his family always stayed at poly. We went together 5 years ago and have gone back ever year since and ALWAYS stay at WL. the lobby is breathtaking and I love the wildernessy feel. We do always make a point to eat at Ohana (usually twice). I don't have an issue waiting for the bus or boat but taking the monorail to MK for wishes after dinner at Ohana is really fun!! Also I like that WL is all building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom