Polynesian, Boardwalk, or Wilderness Lodge

dclfan

Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

I am doing a restore only staycation for my birthday in October. Im trying to decide between Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Boardwalk. Are the pool bars open at all 3 resorts? Please help a girl our and list pros and cons for each especially since we will be staying at the hotel majority of the time. Only leaving to go to the Springs or perhaps hotel hop.

thanks in advance

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hi!

Right now only Poly and Boardwalk are only Villas and Bungalows are open to stay, the normal non DVC rooms are closed until next summer for Poly and TBD for boardwalk, you may still be able to find openings though for a Studio. :) For resort only, I love Boardwalk personally, you can walk around the resort and there are some good grab and go places like the Pizza Window, Boardwalk Bakery, and Beaches and Cream is only a short walk away! The downside (not even really that) is that I personally don't like the look of their main pool lol. The clown throws me off. I have never been to the Wilderneed Lodge so I don't have an opinion on that one. I'm also going next month for a staycation (besides a quick trip to Epcot for some food and wine, I'm not comfortable riding rides yet) and we are doing the Treehouse Villas for something different. Disney is great even without the parks so I really don't think you have a bad choice no matter what you go with!

Club Cooloholic

Hello Everyone,

I am doing a restore only staycation for my birthday in October. Im trying to decide between Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Boardwalk. Are the pool bars open at all 3 resorts? Please help a girl our and list pros and cons for each especially since we will be staying at the hotel majority of the time. Only leaving to go to the Springs or perhaps hotel hop.

thanks in advance
WL-
Pro- Both pools open, probably the most onsite diverse eating options.
Cons- None I can see, if you aren't going to any parks, transportation is usually the drawback of WL.

Poly-
Pro- probably the best combo of pools(quiet and Themed) in WDW. Very easy to walk around to them. Nice views and if you get bored easy to check out some of the other resorts. Probably shortest ride to the Springs.
Nicest studios if that is what you are going for
Con: Studios are only choice. Price will be higher than any other resort for a studio, and a lot of that cost is due to it being on the monorail, which if you aren't planning to use to go anywhere won't factor in much.

Boardwalk-
Pros- Really nice walk around the lake. Fun pool areas, and access to a Community Hall. Fantasia Mini Putt within walking distance. Lots of Food options if you are willing to walk at Swan and Dolphin as Boardwalk ones are limited with COVID.
Cons- Long Hallways, no easy quick service options, too tempting not to want to hit park with Epcot just a 10 minute walk away!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Polynesian has both pools open but only the Barefoot pool bar at the feature pool (Lava) is open. There is a server on the Lava pool deck to bring your drinks. Cooks is your only choice for quick service (but we ate lunch there three times with different entrees). Pineapple Lanai is open for Dole Whips and Tambu Lounge is open in the evening. Nothing beats the romance of tiki-lit torch paths and sitting on the beach at night.

It’s a lovely walk between the Poly and GF, where you will have access to GF pool bar (Beaches) and the restaurants inside the main building.

Both pools are open at WL and Geyser Point bar for drinks, but there was no server on the pool deck during our stay in July. Quick serve options include Geyser Point and Roaring Fork. Since currently the only boat service from WL is to MK, it is difficult to resort hop to Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness.

I adore both resorts but for a short staycation with my beloved I would choose Poly.

Check out DVC Rental Store for last minute deals. 😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
WL-
Whispering Canyon is the only table service option, with a limited menu.
Roaring Fork and Geyser Point are also limited in choices and are similar to food served at Whispering Canyon.

Most onsite “diverse” eating options would be Boardwalk, for restaurant access to nearby resorts.

dclfan

Original Poster
Hi!

Right now only Poly and Boardwalk are only Villas and Bungalows are open to stay, the normal non DVC rooms are closed until next summer for Poly and TBD for boardwalk, you may still be able to find openings though for a Studio. :) For resort only, I love Boardwalk personally, you can walk around the resort and there are some good grab and go places like the Pizza Window, Boardwalk Bakery, and Beaches and Cream is only a short walk away! The downside (not even really that) is that I personally don't like the look of their main pool lol. The clown throws me off. I have never been to the Wilderneed Lodge so I don't have an opinion on that one. I'm also going next month for a staycation (besides a quick trip to Epcot for some food and wine, I'm not comfortable riding rides yet) and we are doing the Treehouse Villas for something different. Disney is great even without the parks so I really don't think you have a bad choice no matter what you go with!

sorry I should have mentioned I will be renting points for this stay so definitely looking for a villa/ studio :). I totally agree about the pool at boardwalk. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to book. Thanks for the advice.

Club Cooloholic

Whispering Canyon is the only table service option, with a limited menu.
Roaring Fork and Geyser Point are also limited in choices and are similar to food served at Whispering Canyon.

Most onsite “diverse” eating options would be Boardwalk, for restaurant access to nearby resorts.
I meant diverse as in there is a sit down, there is a quick service, there is a sorta lounge Geyser Point. Yes the food itself isn't as diverse, but for quick service it's better than the options at pizza window.

GimpYancIent

I meant diverse as in there is a sit down, there is a quick service, there is a sorta lounge Geyser Point. Yes the food itself isn't as diverse, but for quick service it's better than the options at pizza window.
Me, Myself and I, yes all three of us, find The Wilderness Lodge the place to stay long or short term. Achieved a lot of gastric satisfaction there mmmmmmmmmm.

dclfan

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge, easily. The price premium you're going to pay for the other two resorts is not worth it, especially if you're not going to benefit from their immediate access to the parks.

believe it or not the prices are all within $50 of each other that’s why I’m so confused lol. I’ve never seen prices so low

dclfan

Original Poster
WL-
Cons- None I can see, if you aren't going to any parks, transportation is usually the drawback of WL.

Poly-
Pro- probably the best combo of pools(quiet and Themed) in WDW. Very easy to walk around to them. Nice views and if you get bored easy to check out some of the other resorts. Probably shortest ride to the Springs.
Nicest studios if that is what you are going for
Con: Studios are only choice. Price will be higher than any other resort for a studio, and a lot of that cost is due to it being on the monorail, which if you aren't planning to use to go anywhere won't factor in much.

Boardwalk-
Pros- Really nice walk around the lake. Fun pool areas, and access to a Community Hall. Fantasia Mini Putt within walking distance. Lots of Food options if you are willing to walk at Swan and Dolphin as Boardwalk ones are limited with COVID.
Cons- Long Hallways, no easy quick service options, too tempting not to want to hit park with Epcot just a 10 minute walk away!

Thank you so much for all of the information. I think I’m going with the Polynesian. I appreciate your help

dclfan

Original Poster
Polynesian has both pools open but only the Barefoot pool bar at the feature pool (Lava) is open. There is a server on the Lava pool deck to bring your drinks. Cooks is your only choice for quick service (but we ate lunch there three times with different entrees). Pineapple Lanai is open for Dole Whips and Tambu Lounge is open in the evening. Nothing beats the romance of tiki-lit torch paths and sitting on the beach at night.

It’s a lovely walk between the Poly and GF, where you will have access to GF pool bar (Beaches) and the restaurants inside the main building.

Both pools are open at WL and Geyser Point bar for drinks, but there was no server on the pool deck during our stay in July. Quick serve options include Geyser Point and Roaring Fork. Since currently the only boat service from WL is to MK, it is difficult to resort hop to Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness.

I adore both resorts but for a short staycation with my beloved I would choose Poly.

Check out DVC Rental Store for last minute deals. 😉

Thank you so much for the Information. Poolside servers was exactly what I was looking for :). Is enchanted rose open as well at the GF? One step ahead of you. All the rates are through DVC rental :) and VERY affordable. Polynesian it is.

BASS

Well, it seems that you've made up your mind, but I'd put Poly last on the list. It's a gorgeous resort--and might be my top pick if you were park-hopping--but since you're not I'd put (1) Boardwalk (2) WL. I enjoy the boardwalk area. It's nice for a casual stroll and there are lots of restaurant options near there, plus proximity to several hotels if you want to look around. Renting a bike is a nice diversion as is walking by the lake. The WL is incredibly unique too. One of the cooler themed properties. Either way, all good choices. Enjoy!

westie

I've stayed at them all and one thing I distinctly remember is WL is pretty far out there and buses can take you up to 15-30 minutes to get you to your destination. Factor that into your reservation times.

UNCgolf

In normal circumstances the Boardwalk (any of the three hotels, really) is easily the best option. Best hotels, best location, best dining options.

That's not really the case right now though because so much of the Boardwalk itself is shut down. You're losing most of the dining/entertainment that makes the Boardwalk better than the other options, not to mention the proximity to EPCOT/DHS is not important since you're not going to the parks. I'd probably go Wilderness Lodge at the moment.

Becky

WL for me. Though if I really wanted to be on the monorail line then the Poly.
WL hands down. It is the best themed hotel Disney has. The monorail is ok BUT does not go to AK or Studios. At WL to go to the MK just hop on the boat. Epcot is not that much of a bus ride and buses come quite often.

EdnaMode

This fall, I would look (am looking, actually....) at my transportation and dining options before deciding. Both will almost certainly be better at Poly. But I would also try to find out how disruptive the Poly refurb is going to be during your dates.

And I don't know about you, but we didn't really have a "summer" this year in any way other than the calendar and the temperature, so between those two, I probably would be looking for a tropical resort this October. 🌴

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom