Poly v. Caribbean Beach Resort

All Ears

Our family usually stays at the Poly, but this year we will stay at the CBR.

I'd like to read some discussion about the differences between the two resorts. Certainly transportation it would seem would be a big difference, as well as the view from the Poly pool during MK fireworks.

Will we be extremely let down at the CBR after years at the Poly?

Thanks friends.

Goofy20

To me the Poly and CBR are 2 totally different resorts all together. Of course one is deluxe and the other is moderate. The buildings are spread out over a large are at the CBR. So just be prepared to walk. The scenery is beautiful, me and my gf love it. There isn't anything like O'hana's either at the CBR. All in all I like the CBR but I would rather stay at the Poly

Upvote 0

cynical

If you go to CBR with visions of the Poly in your head, you will be dissapointed. CBR is a beautiful, fun resort, but it is not a Deluxe resort. Give yourself a free and open mindset--enjoy yourself--and you won't have any regrets, and you'll be saving a whole lot of dough. CBR has a fun theme, a scenic lake setting, and a food court. Eat at O'Hanas, and take a bus home, or better yet, take a monorail back to the park.

I've stayed at most of the deluxe and moderate resorts, and you do get a slightly higher level of service at the deluxe resorts. The only downsides I find to the moderates are that you have to walk outside to get to the main/dining areas in bad weather, and that you don't get a private balcony to your room. The windows face a catwalk, so you may not want to keep your shades open if you desire privacy.

There is plenty of magic to be found at CBR, and if you don't spend your entire vacation making comparisons, you'll be sure to find it.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
As long as you keep in mind that the CBR isn't a deluxe you should be fine. Just take it as it is. There are some things about CBR that are better than the Poly and vice versa. CBR has a fun little island to explore and a little steel drum to play by the souvenir shop. Just have fun!

Upvote 0

Maryssa*

yeah I've stayed at both and the caribbean was... just okay. It was horrible waiting for the buses to go around the entire loop though... be prepared to set aside extra time for transportation =/ And hope you're close to a pool.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like most have said if you go to CBR and expect the Poly it will be a let down. That being said I have stayed at both resorts and they are both great. Dinning is a little higher end at Poly but CBR has the ease and variety of a food court. CBR is much larger so if walking is an issue you might want to request a room close to the main lobby. The main pools at both resorts are about even. Transportation is better at the Poly as well as the beach. On the good side you will be cutting you resort bill in half and for that the concessions are IMHO worth it/

Upvote 0

cmart027

Of course, the fact that I even joined this forum means I'm a fan of anything Disney. However, for me, the Polynesian is a dream come true. It has a spectacular view of the castle, a spectromagic parade on the lagoon just for those folks in hotels around the lagoon, short walking distance to spa services and a chance to dream of getting married in the beautiful chapel, the room accomodations are superb, and of course there is the restaurant O'hana (my favorite!). Although the restaurant changed its settings a little, it's still unbelievably delicious. Everyone should go here at least once.

If you have money to contemplate the Polynesian, do it. You won't be disappointed. Of course, the Animal Kingdom lodge is awesome too. ;)

Upvote 0

pax_65

All Ears said:
Will we be extremely let down at the CBR after years at the Poly?

Probably, but it depends on a few things:

1. Transportation. You'll likely miss the monorail. Are you renting a car? If not, you'll have to rely on the buses.

2. Dining. The last time I stayed at the CBR they had a food court and a very small table service restaurant that was nothing special. If you like eating at the resort, you may miss O'hanas.

3. Room location. I'm not aware of any bad room locations at the Poly, but there are some really bad spots at CBR. Some of the rooms are located FAR away from the main pool and food court. The other, scary thing about CBR is that it seems to attract groups such as high-schools, band competitions, cheerleading, etc. It's no fun to hear these kids practicing late at night or getting up early. I would definitely say there is more noise at CBR than at a typical Deluxe resort.

That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is that the Caribbean is beautifully themed, has a nice pool, and has beautiful grounds that are great for walking or jogging.

My advice - consider renting a car (especially if you want to drive to resort or off-property restaurants), and ask carefully about your room location when you check-in.

Have a good trip!

Upvote 0

All Ears

Original Poster
thanks!

I know the kids will have fun regardless, but I know they were a little disappointed about not going to the Polynesian. That is what they picture when we go to Disney.

We don't stay at the resorts much during the day, so I thought the savings was worth the extra transportation time.

Upvote 0

jcraycraft

These are 2 of our favorite resorts. We enjoy staying at both them. Ploy being the 1st choice with CBR being next and this is of the six resorts that we have stayed at. As far as bus service…. I have had great bus at all the resorts and I have had poor bus service at them too. It is hit or miss in my book….. Which ever one you select… just have fun. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom