Poll on Bus Scheduling

Should busses run with Set Time Schedules?

• Yes, they should post set time schedules at the resort.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No, I'd prefer the busses to run more frequently, but without a time posted.

Votes: 77 81.1%

• Total voters

Invero

Original Poster
Okay folks... I was having a discussion with some other drivers, and coordinators, and management today... and an idea was brought up... I'm just curious (out of my own personal curiosity) what all you folks out there think about this particular idea.

Currently... at all the resorts, signage states that busses run approx every 20 minutes. In actuality, busses on route typically run every 10-17 minutes on average. The only times drivers have are times back to the hub. So, the driver will hold at the theme park till his scheduled time out... go to the resort. At the resort, it's "Load & Go", and if he gets back to the theme park early, he sits in the load zone until time of departure. That's the current system.

The "new idea" that was tossed out during our "vent session" was instead of saying "Busses come approx every 20 minutes", give the guests a SET TIME that the bus would arrive.

So, for example, a sign at All Star Music would say, "Magic Kingdom Busses will be here at 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15" etc...

With this system, the busses might not run as quickly (ie: every 20 to 30 minutes, versus every 10 or 15 minutes)... but you'd have a set time... so you know you'd have time to run to the bathroom or get a cup of coffee or whatnot.

By the way... busses would be 'scheduled' around peak times... meaning, we'd still have MOD in the mornings and whatnot. This is just for mid-day when things slow down. Intervals might also change during the day... for example, an Animal Kingdom bus might run every 15 mins from 10-12... and then every 30 mins from 12-3... or something like that.

Now, like I said... this is just a random idea that was brought up in a vent session... I make no claim to it... nor is Disney actually thinking about it. I'm just personally curious as to what y'all think about it.

Dizknee_Phreek

personally, i think the current system works pretty well! well enough for me, anyways. i've stood and waited and waited for buses for the past 10 years, and really i've gotten to where i just don't mind it. it's part of being at Disney, and i'd sure as hell would rather be standing and waiting on a bus than here at home not doing anything! and i think it would be hard to keep the schedules on track...because of unpredictablity of traffic. and trust me, you'd have people that would be SO ticked if a bus wasn't there right on target...and most likely the delay would be out of the driver's hands. and, i dunno...this is just guessing on my part, but i think it could possibly put a little more stress on the driver's trying to get somewhere at a specific time..and if they were running late, it might cause the driver to lose a tad bit a reason and judgement. but i've never driven a bus on a schedule before, so like i said, i'm just guessing...i'm just saying it COULD happen. it seems like to me, with the system now, it gives the driver a little more time to get where they need to go, so they don't have to feel rushed to be exactly on time. i say keep the current system!
the new system idea does have it's strong points though, don't get me wrong! it would definately help guests to know how long the wait would be (which would certainly be a great thing!) thanks for sharing, and bringing it to the boards! :D

aim

ok, i voted before reading it all! i have mixed feelings bout this topic. it depends on where you stay! i dunno. that's just me! but i guess i like both ways! i dunno!! :lol: so i guess i shouldn't have posted :lol:

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by WDW*babe
ok, i voted before reading it all! i have mixed feelings bout this topic. it depends on where you stay! i dunno. that's just me! but i guess i like both ways! i dunno!! :lol: so i guess i shouldn't have posted :lol:

:lol: naw, go ahead and post, even if you have mixed feelings! and you are right, it does depend on where you stay! transportation at some resorts are a bit more unpredictable than others. and it's definately a little more troublesome at those resorts with either more than one bus stop, or those that share the same bus (such as FQ and RS...seems like the All Stars sometimes share buses too, don't they?)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Couldnt you have a system similar to that available here in the UK, whereby a signal omitted by your bus is received by the electronic noticeboard and displays the buses arrival time? If London Transport can get it to work it should be no problem for Disney ( apart from paying for it that is)

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by happy snapper
Couldnt you have a system similar to that available here in the UK, whereby a signal omitted by your bus is received by the electronic noticeboard and displays the buses arrival time? If London Transport can get it to work it should be no problem for Disney ( apart from paying for it that is)

Thats a pretty cool idea for WDW to take on board

lentesta

Premium Member
Some people might find the posted times reassuring - I think it is a good idea.

Fantasia Boi - whatever happened to "Magic on Demand?" I was at Coronado Springs in March, and a CM was still entering data into her PDA whenever more people came up to the main bus stop.

Thanks,

Len

aim

Yes, I was thinking about All-Star when I wrote that! We've stayed there a couple of times. And found that the busing isn't that great there. It takes forever to get a bus & then you're lucky to sit down on it (during peak seasons). But at Port Orleans Riverside....different story!!!! I love it there. And the busing is totally good there. There was even some one standing by the walkway asking everyone where there were headed, told them what bus stop to go to and how long we'd be waiting. Even if there was a person at each hotel to do the same, I think that would help a lot! :)

mightyduck

I would rather a bus just come in a few minutes... I would never get there to catch the scheduled bus I wanted and then I'd have to wait even longer! LOL...

2much2do

Other than giving me an idea of how long my wait will be and freeing up some time to use the bathroom or whatever, what are the advantages, Fantasia?

Terp02

The only problem I have with the system now is that sometimes there are multiple buses for the same location that follow each other. This seems to happen more frequently in the morning and it's just a little frustrating when you have two Epcot buses right in a row two people get on the first bus that's pretty empty and the other one has no one on it. Other than that, I like the system. I have fun guessing what bus will come next. I also like the idea of the electronic time thing, especially in the multi-stop resorts. On the DC Metro they sometimes say that the next train will be there in 6 mins, 4 mins, etc. It's reassuring that a bus will be coming, and it also tells people that they have time to get something they forgot.

bearboysnc

I think posting the times would be great. if another bus arrives in the mean time and gets you there even faster... all the better. 10 minutes isn't going to cost you that much time in the parks anyways. (That bus locator system like the UK sounds GREAT too)

I've stood at the Allstars and wondered when the next %&$*&^@ bus was going to arrive. It was perticularly frustrating trying to get to PI. we ended up waiting 40 minutes. Had I know it was going to take that long... i could have driven myself, or done something else rather that sat there and got frustrated.

Years ago I stayed at the LBV hotels, and they used a similar system. the buses ran on the half hour. You always knew what time you'd be picked up. It saved alot of headache.

ON THE FLIP side. It could cause a guest relations nightmare for transportation managers, because then guests could whine... the 4:15 was 10 minutes late! waaaa. "i want my room comped"(jk)

TURKEY

Who cares about buses. I want more monorails. :lol: :rolleyes:

I think the current system is fine. I'd think you would have a greater chance of not getting on a bus with scheduled times than the current system.

bamboo7

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Who cares about buses. I want more monorails. :lol: :rolleyes:

he he.

anyway, at the risk of repeating what most eveyone else said above, the current bus system works great. if they went with the set-schedule system, would that eliminate the possability of using the FIDS system?

Invero

Original Poster
Like I said before, this idea was just something someone came up with during a random vent session... we were all on break, and just conversing about the new Flex Dispatch and whatnot. A lot of you brought up great points that we hadn't thought of, so thank you. :)

As for the UK next bus locator idea, that's a pretty cool thing for sure. They have something simmilar in the US here... (www.nextbus.com) The system uses GPS transponders on the bus, and then when the bus passes through a certain zone, it triggers the display.So, for example, you have bus #201... and that bus is on a fixed route. So when the GPS detects #201 at a certain location, it knows what route its on, and it triggers the next stops display. But with Disney, especially with the new Flex Dispatch, the bus numbers change all the time. (as do the routes) I'm not saying it's impossible, it'd just be more complicated to implement and use.

dmp223

I have experienced the London bus system and the noticeboards that advise you of the next bus approaching and its destination... simpy awesome... I think it would be a great idea... I always get a laugh out of everyone craning their necks as a bus approaches trying to see what the destination is (myself included!)... always part of the Disney experience I suppose!!

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom