Policy change on tripods?

KeithVH

Original Poster
Not a rumor but hearsay. There seems to be a potential change at DLR about tripod usage in the parks. You can take a tripod in as long as it fits INSIDE a standard backpack. That's not really a change. However, there's been a report security is saying you cannot EXTEND the unit, it must remain collapsed.

Anyone been to the World lately and can comment or have some more reliable info?

NowInc

Everyone I have spoken to in both Cali and Florida (with the exception of one) has claimed zero issues bringing or using their usual tripods into the parks. These rumors pop up here and there, and not saying they aren't from nothing, but I think its more often than not an issue with mis-informed security/CMs rather than a policy change.

donsullivan

Premium Member
There has been no change in the rules with regard to tripods on either coast. I brought the same tripod I've been bringing for years into Magic Kingdom and Epcot last weekend without any questions. Most of the time over the years, this crops up when somebody goes into the parks with a tripod and is horribly selfish with it and makes an obstruction of themselves blocking safe passage of guests and then tries to make a big deal of it on social media when they are called out on it by a CM.

I do think, as the crowds get larger and larger, this should be a reminder for any of us bringing a tripod into the park to think carefully of your use and those around you so that Disney does not feel the need to impose restrictions. Over the last 8-10 years, the number of tripods in the parks has continued to increase. It is the responsibility of each and every one of us who wants to bring one in, to do the right thing and use them safely and courteously so Disney does not feel the need to impose any new restrictions. If new restrictions do get imposed in the future, it's likely going to be the result of poor behavior by tripod wielding photographers. It only takes a few really selfish photographers to ruin it for everyone.

PhotoDave219

Most of the time over the years, this crops up when somebody goes into the parks with a tripod and is horribly selfish with it and makes an obstruction of themselves blocking safe passage of guests and then tries to make a big deal of it on social media when they are called out on it by a CM.

That does seem to be the biggest issue, right? Its also why i rarely brought a tripod into the parks for the last few years i lived in orlando.

G00fyDad

There has been no change in the rules with regard to tripods on either coast. I brought the same tripod I've been bringing for years into Magic Kingdom and Epcot last weekend without any questions. Most of the time over the years, this crops up when somebody goes into the parks with a tripod and is horribly selfish with it and makes an obstruction of themselves blocking safe passage of guests and then tries to make a big deal of it on social media when they are called out on it by a CM.

I do think, as the crowds get larger and larger, this should be a reminder for any of us bringing a tripod into the park to think carefully of your use and those around you so that Disney does not feel the need to impose restrictions. Over the last 8-10 years, the number of tripods in the parks has continued to increase. It is the responsibility of each and every one of us who wants to bring one in, to do the right thing and use them safely and courteously so Disney does not feel the need to impose any new restrictions. If new restrictions do get imposed in the future, it's likely going to be the result of poor behavior by tripod wielding photographers. It only takes a few really selfish photographers to ruin it for everyone.

Thank you. I wish everyone that used a tripod would keep this in mind. I've seen people set a tripod up on the sidewalk on Mainstreet USA blocking most of the foot traffic. Then they got upset because people were ruining their prefect shot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom