planning help: Shanghai and Tokyo

FullSailDan

Original Poster
Husband and I are planning a trip to Shanghai and Tokyo in march. Are 2 days really needed for Shanghai? Debating trying to squeeze that down to 1 day and extending Tokyo to 3 days instead of 2?

Magic Feather

I may be going to Shanghai later this year too! @Magic Feather , would you recommend 2 full days or 1 1/2? Just trying to decide if my friends and I should visit the Downtown Disney area too.
I would personally say that 1 1/2 would suffice, especially if you are there on a not busy day. Maybe use the other 1/2 of a day to explore the metropolitan Shanghai Area or use that for Disneytown. Regardless, you can weave Disneytown into your time at the parks with the gate by Tomorrowland.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I would say 2 days is needed in Shanghai to not rush but another day in Tokyo (which are two better parks) would probably be most beneficial. Anyway you can just add a day to Tokyo? 4 days is best especially for a first visit.

Also, and pardon if you already know, you do not need to buy a Chinese visa if Shanghai is not your final destination. So if you go to shanghai and then Tokyo, you can apply for a free 144 hour transit visa at the Shanghai airport. You just need your passport and confirmed onward ticket to Tokyo to apply. Hopefully this can save you some $$$.

Piebald

Tokyo is best for 3 days. I'm not a big believer that one should spend a ton of time at Disney, but TDR only has a park hopper option if you go a third day. So your 3 day ticket will be one day one park, second day second park then third day park hopper. A whole day for Disneyland, a whole day for DisneySea and then the third day to go back and redo things you missed, see more merch at a leisurely pace and eat even more food you missed out on.

DonaldDoleWhip

Gotta say I found one day in Shanghai to be thoroughly satisfying. Even had time to hit up my favorite rides (Pirates and Tron) 4x each, maybe even 5. Also did Roaring Rapids (first thing - a mistake as it was still cool outside), Soarin' (much better queue and pre-show), a challenge trail at Camp Discovery, RC Racer, Mine Train, Peter Pan, Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, saw the Tarzan show, and had a good view of the fireworks.

That said, I went on a Saturday–which you'd think would be crowded, but due to the new peak pricing actually made the park a pleasure. Wasn't bad at all.

For me, 2 days in TDL also felt adequate, and I'm glad I had more time for Tokyo itself, Kyoto (especially), etc. On my second visit to Japan, reduced those 2 days to 4 hours (Halloween evening at TDL), but that said, wouldn't have minded some more time at Tokyo DisneySea. Like Animal Kingdom, there's a lot to explore in that park, which may even top the attractions themselves.

nbdysreal

We did Shanghai in 1 day. Rode everything at least once, Tron 4 times, buzz 5, pirates 2, soarin 2, and saw Tarzan show (was better than expected, watch it!). Was incredibly dead with most being walk on. Mine train was 20. Not sure how normal that was though, as it was midweek and a few weeks after Chinese New Year, so most people are back at work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom