Planning for Christmas time.

Bravefan#1

I booked a trip to Disney for my 5yr old daughter for Christmas, we are going with her dad, grandparents and a couple of cousins.

Due to the fact its December time we are going, I am pretty certain it'll be cold so I will be packing warm clothes (jumpers and hoodies plus trousers, instead of skirts etc).

I will take warm jackets too so would a lightweight or thick and padded be best for the time of year and should we make sure it's zipped and the hood up :)? Forgive me for the post but it's our first time going during winter and Christmas time, hence why I asked :).

Editor516

I booked a trip to Disney for my 5yr old daughter for Christmas, we are going with her dad, grandparents and a couple of cousins.

Due to the fact its December time we are going, I am pretty certain it'll be cold so I will be packing warm clothes (jumpers and hoodies plus trousers, instead of skirts etc).

I will take warm jackets too so would a lightweight or thick and padded be best for the time of year and should we make sure it's zipped and the hood up :)? Forgive me for the post but it's our first time going during winter and Christmas time, hence why I asked :).
To be honest, you’re better off looking at the weather forecast as it gets closer. I often go in December (admittedly, the first half), and I’ve experienced everything from the mid 80s to the mid 30s with scattered frost. I swear, one time it was 38 in Frontierland during MVMCP. Sometimes it’s cargo shorts and polo shirts, sometimes it’s jeans and hoodies or even jackets.

Drives my family crazy because they can’t really plan what to pack until about 10 days before the first day, when the long-range forecast is released. After that, daily checking ensues and clothes are collected and sorted.

My suggestion is to look at the historical temperature range for the period you’re supposed to be there. Use that as a guide. Then start checking the longer-range (10 days to two weeks) forecast as it gets closer to your trip.

Here’s where you can find some averages and record highs and lows. https://weather.com/weather/monthly...5e7c5f07df6c368a52eab5db82010fa6a2b3d4e15473c

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We go the week before Christmas every year. I can count on one hand the amount of days my wife and daughter needed a lightweight jacket. All other days have been low 60’s in the morning if lucky and highs close to 80. We did have one year of record heat with all 6 days in the 90’s. No guaranty on very cool weather as it’s mostly based on if a nice front moves through. Just look at the 10 day forecast as those are fairly accurate on December. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Please don't go EXPECTING it to be COLD.
December is an iffy month but the average high is 72 and the average low is 52.
I have been when its been in the 80's and I'm sweating and I have been when the high only reached 60 with a raw breeze and the wind chill in the evening made it feel like mid 30's.
I would bring a variety. Bring some shorts, some pants, mostly t-shirts, a lightweight zip up and a heavier jacket option.
You may find days where you want shorts, a t-shirt, and the light jacket in the mornings and evenings.
You may find days where you want pants, t-shirt, light jacket, and even the heavier jacket for mornings and evenings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

I would plan on layering for sure. After that, check the forecast the week before as you'll have a pretty good idea as to if you need to adjust your jacket plans. December is pretty odd as we have had trips where we had on our winter coats at the start and shorts and T's at the end. Either way, you'll have a great time!

Upvote 0

ppet

Like DisDad said pack things you can layer. We went a couple of years ago and spent Christmas afternoon in the pool at FQPO.

Upvote 0

Hula Baloo

Like the others have said, you're going to have to wait until the weather is available for those days. We go early to mid-December each year and it's different each time. We've experienced very cold/rainy weather one year and very hot weather other years.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

All good advice- very changeable weather. We have learned to pack something for chilly weather, just in case. I remember sitting on the bench at the Epcot monorail station one winter, enjoying the view and mild breeze...and over 10 minutes time I swear the temperature dropped 10 degrees or so. Was the strangest thing. I've also been caught with not warm enough clothes, despite watching the weather forecast- "eh, it won't be that cool." Sun went down, there was a light wind, and I was cold. Had a buy a sweater in one of the shops. Now, we always pack a lightweight windbreaker, a warm sweater or hoodie, and a knit cap and cheap pair of gloves. If the forecast is for cold weather, I add a pair of leggings for under my jeans. Layering a t-shirt under a long sleeved shirt with a windbreaker in your backpack will get you through most days there, though.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

We find it is usually cooler mornings and rather warm afternoons, my, daughter and I usually just throw on a pair of leggins under our shorts, it keeps us warm in the morning and they can be thrown in a purse or bag without taking up a lot of room or being heavy to lug around when it warms up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom