Planning a solo trip!

Amy Shelton

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of planning a trip by myself! I usually go with family or friends but I think it would be so fun to just go and do everything I could possibly think of doing without planning it for 10 people. What advice do you guys have? I'm looking at stay at AoA, Port Orleans or Caribbean beach? My dates are super flexible so I would love to know the "cheapest" time and least crowded time to go. I've also never flown to Disney before and taken the express. Is it pretty easy to navigate? I appreciate any advice or tips and fun things to do!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Minnie Mum

I can't see the point of paying for a mod if you're on a solo trip and this from someone who always stays at a mod with DH or the whole family.

As for when to go, I won't reinvent the wheel. The following site dicusses it well. Just scroll down til you come to it. My only quibble with it is that I think Sept has become much more crowded than just a few years ago.

https://www.mousesavers.com/walt-di...asked-questions-about-walt-disney-world/#busy

Upvote 0

Rogue21

On solo trips, I prefer to stay in a deluxe mainly because I tend to relax more. Coffee on the balcony in the morning, glass of wine in the evening. But, that's not important to everyone, so stay where you're comfortable.

I also usually rent a car, but will probably use DME this next trip. It'll be my first time using it, yet I've heard it's easy to navigate.

Upvote 0

NormC

I would solo at Boardwalk or Swolphin area hotels. I like to walk so I could do that easily from that area. My family doesn't enjoy long walks because of knees or weight issues. My home resort is BLT but I would not be able to use points unless the whole family was going.

Upvote 0

JohnD

If you're looking at a AoA, you would either be staying in a family suite which costs more than a "regular" room or a Little Mermaid room. I go on solo trips all the time and have never stayed at AoA because 1) Family suites (duh) and 2) no interest (for me) of staying in a Little Mermaid room. Not sure if your style or not but those aren't near bus transportation. In your case, I'd opt for across the lake and stay at Pop Century. Choose 60s section (closest to transportation). Best value on property.

As for moderates, I'd choose Port Orleans because of no construction, unlike Caribbean Beach. Also French Quarter has one bus stop compared to multiple depots at Caribbean. (Disclaimer: It could share with Riverside which has four depots). Also has the added bonus of boat transportation to Disney Springs. Haven't stayed at French Quarter in a while. I'm staying there in December.

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

I would solo at Boardwalk or Swolphin area hotels. I like to walk so I could do that easily from that area. My family doesn't enjoy long walks because of knees or weight issues. My home resort is BLT but I would not be able to use points unless the whole family was going.
Solo at either Swan or Dolphin is divine. Note theabsence of ME though. I love these hotels for the close proximity, walking distance, to so much. Epcot, DHS, The Boardwalk and some of the best restaurants on property right at your fingertips. With an AP or PH you can walk right into World Showcase just for a quick bite if you feel like it. Of course the other parks and resorts are just a short bus ride away. Deluxe amenities for the price of a mod, even less with Starwood points. I have so many points I stay just for the cost of parking and resort fees so it’s a no brainer for me and I even have several DVC contracts. Solo trips can be a little jarring if you are used to traveling with a large group but there is nothing like it and once it sinks in you may not want to travel any other way lol. It is incredible to be able to be selfish and do only what you feel like without having to please the rest of the group. Don’t shy away from TS dining. I’ve even done character dining alone. If you are someone who often plans for and travels with family or a larger group solo trips in my opinion are like a reward. You’ll be amazed at what you can see or do alone. Things you may not have ever noticed will pop out because you are not trying to tend to the rest of the group. Family and group trips are awesome. I can’t think of a better place to do it but a solo trip restores my faith in humanity.

Upvote 0

DisneyMann

I’m planning my first solo trip in September. I figured I’m going to be in the parks more than my room so I booked a value resort and I’m taking the DME. :)

Same. This will be my first attempt at a solo and while I'm usually my least favorite person to be around, I can't imagine me hanging out in the room for more than sleep and shower.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

Solo trips are great and there is always a cast member or stranger to talk to if you feel like it. DME is very easy to navigate and a fun way to arrive at your resort. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

Booked my 3rd solo trip last week for next Sept! On my 1st one I was excited, then nervous, and then a combination. The first couple of days (on a 4 night/5 day trip) I thought, “No. I won’t do this again.” By the end, I KNEW I would! I went the following year on my 2nd solo and after a long break I’ll be going on my 3rd in 2019. At first, I admit, I simply wasn’t used to being so quiet and not having someone else to chat with all the time. Once I got over that I absolutely LOVED the freedom I had to do it ALL on my own terms, the way I wanted, when, where, how!! No waiting on anyone else or hurrying for someone else, no having to compromise on one single thing. It was truly amazing AND I met some really cool people that I probably wouldn’t have had I been with a companion.

So JUST DO IT!! Even if you don’t end up loving it, you’ll have “been there, done that”.

Upvote 0

Rogue21

What are everyone’s thoughts about the best length of time for an initial solo trip?

That may depend on your perceived or actual comfort on traveling alone. I've done 5 to 7 nights on solo trips and, for me, the 5 or 6 nights is just about right. Enough time to see the parks, enjoy things at your pace, try something new and simply have fun on your vacation. Also just long enough to start missing the folks at home. :)

Upvote 0

JohnD

That may depend on your perceived or actual comfort on traveling alone. I've done 5 to 7 nights on solo trips and, for me, the 5 or 6 nights is just about right. Enough time to see the parks, enjoy things at your pace, try something new and simply have fun on your vacation. Also just long enough to start missing the folks at home. :)

Agree 5-6 days: MK (2 days), Epcot (2 days), HS (1 day), AK (1 day). That will allow experiencing almost all of the parks. Longer if you want to add visits to water parks, DS, non-Disney attractions, etc.

Upvote 0

quackmar

Thanks for the input @Rogue21 and @JohnD

I’m toying with the idea of a solo trip and figured the trip length may be the best thing to try to pin down first.

I introvert pretty hard so I’m not anticipating being alone to be an issue.

Do you feel like you go through the parks faster alone? Or spend overall the same amount of time as when in a group?

Upvote 0

Rogue21

Do you feel like you go through the parks faster alone? Or spend overall the same amount of time as when in a group?

Yes. And no. It's much easier navigating through a crowd by yourself. Dining is usually quicker. Single rider lines. All that makes it marginally faster. However, I often find myself dawdling more while shopping and taking more time to talk to the bartenders or Cast Members. Whatever pace fits the moment. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom