Photopass/Backing up photos Question

the1nonlysinger

Original Poster
I plan to take hundreds, if not thousands of photos during our upcoming trip. But I will not be bringing a laptop to back up the photos from my memory cards.

Can someone please clarify or confirm for me-- I believe there are places that I can go in the parks, to have my memory cards uploaded directly onto my photopass account? Is that correct? (And then I could buy a Photo Archive CD that will contain all of the photos I took on our trip?)

I just want to make sure I have a backup of my photos in case something was to happy to the memory cards before we get home.

Thanks! :D (22 days left!)

dreamfinder

According to http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disneysphotopass/, pretty much THE photopass website out there..

Uploading Your Own Photos at the Parks

With the Express Upload Service, you can visit one of the Disney's PhotoPass centers and have photos from your own camera uploaded directly into the Disney's PhotoPass system. You will be given a Disney's PhotoPass card which is linked to your uploaded photos, which you must claim within 30 days of uploading, after which photos will be stored online for 30 days. Note that this service officially requires purchase of the Disney's PhotoPass Personal Archive CD.

So it would appear to be yes.

nolatron

Says you have to buy the CD though.

With the Express Upload Service, you can visit one of the Disney's PhotoPass centers and have photos from your own camera uploaded directly into the Disney's PhotoPass system. You will be given a Disney's PhotoPass card which is linked to your uploaded photos, which you must claim within 30 days of uploading, after which photos will be stored online for 30 days. Note that this service officially requires purchase of the Disney's PhotoPass Personal Archive CD.

Also...

1) how do you get your photos back? Download them one at time from the photo pass site? A Zip Archive? Buy the CD?

2) Does Disney compress the photos any?

3) If dump a5MB 10-megapxiel photo, do you get that original back or a some compressed picture back?

4) Do they have a storage limit? Thousands of photos will eat up a lot space fast.

5) What happens if you lose your photopass card? Kiss your photos goodbye?

IMO, If I was planning on taking hundreds or thousands of pictures I'd be damn sure to bring my own hardware to ensure those photos are backed up properly and not rely on a 3rd party photo service that has many unknowns.

My $0.02.

ddbowdoin

Ok, a few things here. Save yourself some time and buy quality, large capacity photo cards. I shoot with a Nikon D80 and overtime I have accumulated three 10GB cards. I shot 7500 photos and maxed out my three cards over a week, and that number is at full resolution on the finest setting. My DSLR creates pretty large files and three cards was more than enough. If you are shooting with a point and shoot there is no need to use this service. You can get cards for REALLY cheap these days, 4GB's might run you 14.99 at Best Buy.

1.) what kind of camera are you using?

ddbowdoin

Says you have to buy the CD though.

Also...

1) how do you get your photos back? Download them one at time from the photo pass site? A Zip Archive? Buy the CD?

2) Does Disney compress the photos any?

Yes, they would have to. This is even evident in the photographs that WDW photographers take. The image resolution is not that great, although they are shooting with bottom of the line Nikon DSLR's and cheap lenses.

3) If dump a5MB 10-megapxiel photo, do you get that original back or a some compressed picture back?

4) Do they have a storage limit? Thousands of photos will eat up a lot space fast.

5) What happens if you lose your photopass card? Kiss your photos goodbye?

IMO, If I was planning on taking hundreds or thousands of pictures I'd be damn sure to bring my own hardware to ensure those photos are backed up properly and not rely on a 3rd party photo service that has many unknowns.

yes! don't rely on other people!

My $0.02.

yes, yes, yes

the1nonlysinger

Original Poster
Okay, here's the thing I have a Nikon D50- digital SLR. Because it's a few years old, it can only handle the high speed (ultra) cards up to 2 GB. They will take much higher quality photos. I plan to bring an independent backup system, but in the case that it doesn't work or gets lost/stolen/broken, I'd like a second backup option....

As I understand it the photopass archival CD will burn as many CDs as you upload photos- no limit. So if you have 6 CDs worth, you get 6 CDs worth- all for the same price- $19.99. To me, it seems like a reasonable amount to pay in case something were to happen to the backup system or the cards themselves.

Yes the quality may go down, sure. But I'd rather have my photos in some form rather than lose them completely.

And my photopass card is preregistered (and I would have the code on my person anyway)- so losing the card isn't that big of a deal.

With all that being said (I hate that I feel like I have to defend my question every time...)-- my original question still stands: Has anyone uploaded their photos at the parks and how long did it take?

agrabah

Does the resorts give you any help or infomation on Photopass when you check in? Last time I visited they didn't have this, so it seems very interesting but confusing.

jenseib

I thought I had read in the past that it cost you to uplaod them at the parks though. But that could be for something different.

GHOST1000

just wanted to add this bit of info that may help someone in the future. Take a photo of your photopass when you first get it. we had received our photopass and over severl days and many rides including wet rides our 'code # had rubbed off partially to the point of unreadable, and now we are dealing w/ disney photopass trying to get them retreived by taking a pic of the barcode ( the only part of the card that is almost perfect) and emailing it to photopass.

minnie2000

Okay, here's the thing I have a Nikon D50- digital SLR. Because it's a few years old, it can only handle the high speed (ultra) cards up to 2 GB. They will take much higher quality photos. I plan to bring an independent backup system, but in the case that it doesn't work or gets lost/stolen/broken, I'd like a second backup option....

As I understand it the photopass archival CD will burn as many CDs as you upload photos- no limit. So if you have 6 CDs worth, you get 6 CDs worth- all for the same price- $19.99. To me, it seems like a reasonable amount to pay in case something were to happen to the backup system or the cards themselves.

Yes the quality may go down, sure. But I'd rather have my photos in some form rather than lose them completely.

And my photopass card is preregistered (and I would have the code on my person anyway)- so losing the card isn't that big of a deal.

With all that being said (I hate that I feel like I have to defend my question every time...)-- my original question still stands: Has anyone uploaded their photos at the parks and how long did it take?

I don't think the photopass CD is $19.99. We were quoted way more than that - or am I confusing two different things?

Edit: sorry, just looked it up and I understand what you mean now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom