Peanut/Nut Allergy

shopgirl

Original Poster
I was just in Disney this year and am going back soon but between then and now, I have been diagnosed with a severe Peanut and Nut Allergy as well as a Wheat Allergy-- when it rains it pours. I have to carry an Epipen-- I have a few questions--
first: Does anyone know if I will have a problem carrying the Epipen in my bag through the park.
second: Any recommendations on eating etc... this is all new to me-- it has been a really strange experience. I am 30 years old and just staring this now-- so if anyone has recommendations on places to eat, not to eat, how do I deal with counter service, etc...?
Thanks!

AliciaLuvzDizne

I was just in Disney this year and am going back soon but between then and now, I have been diagnosed with a severe Peanut and Nut Allergy as well as a Wheat Allergy-- when it rains it pours. I have to carry an Epipen-- I have a few questions--
first: Does anyone know if I will have a problem carrying the Epipen in my bag through the park.
second: Any recommendations on eating etc... this is all new to me-- it has been a really strange experience. I am 30 years old and just staring this now-- so if anyone has recommendations on places to eat, not to eat, how do I deal with counter service, etc...?
Thanks!
*hugs*
ok
I know how you feel. I also have a severe nut alergy. I carry an Epi Pen. You will not have a problem bringing that into the parks. As far as where to eat and where not to eat...WDW IS THE BEST PLACE TO EAT WITH AN ALERGY!
they will certainly accomadate any dietary needs. At a table service restaurant, just let the person at the podium know of your allergy and they will make the kitchen awared. The chef will come out to discuss your options with you, and he will personally prepare your meal to make sure of no cross contamination.

As for counter service...I would be concerned with the wheat alergy, because I dont know what has wheat in it really... I would let the person at the register know and have them send you out a manager or a chef from the kitchen. Give them a call at 407-WDW-DINE and I believe they can answer any questions you may have about counter service concerns.

I hope this was helpful :wave:

doop

I know exactly what you're feeling, I've been allergic to milk and milk products and nuts since I was born. I also carry an epi-pen, and had no problem getting into wdw with it. Also, seeing as I've had this my whole life, I just have learned to live without dairy products/nuts. Really, all you have to do is just ask them, and they can remove anything that you are allergic to from the product, they are really great about that, but always remember to let them know that you are ALLERGIC to it. I've found that at every restaurant I've been to, if you tell them you're allergic to the item, they will not forget to remove it. But if you just say you'd like it without that item, they usually forget. But really, there are so many options for people who have allergies at Disney.

shopgirl

Original Poster
Thank you for the support-- it has been a little undaunting for me. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with this. I am glad to know that they will modify things for me. I still get a little nervous when I think of the kid sitting next to me with the peanut butter and jelly sandwich- for obvious reasons. I am from the Cleveland area so we took a little test drive not to long after I was diagnosed with this and went to Cedar Point-- not a lot to eat but they warned you of peanut products. On top of the peanut/nut issue which can kill me, I have to watch out for the wheat-- which won't kill me but it isn't pleasant!

jkrat

Thank you for the support-- it has been a little undaunting for me. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with this. I am glad to know that they will modify things for me. I still get a little nervous when I think of the kid sitting next to me with the peanut butter and jelly sandwich- for obvious reasons. I am from the Cleveland area so we took a little test drive not to long after I was diagnosed with this and went to Cedar Point-- not a lot to eat but they warned you of peanut products. On top of the peanut/nut issue which can kill me, I have to watch out for the wheat-- which won't kill me but it isn't pleasant!
You will do fine, I can not have wheat. It is not an allergy, but an intolerence. I get very ill. Like having really bad intestinal flu. The only place I ever to go is Disney to eat. They are wonderful. You can actually e-mail Brenda ( she is head chef at MK) and she will send you a list of foods you can eat at the park. I thought it was the end of the world when I was first diagnosed, but here I am years later and still doing fine. Do contact the parks for your options. I don't know about what is ok for peanut allergies. That one is worse. What I did when I was first diagnosed was to focus on all the foods I could have. That really did help. Good Luck:wave:

sweethalfling

We took my 3 year old nephew who cannot eat dairy products or anything with grapes/grape juice in it. We had the dinning plan added to our package and let them know when we were setting up the package that we had food allergies in our party. Ever single time we sat down for one of our reservations the chef would come out and talk to us about what he could an could not eat. It was great and we discovered that my nephew loves rice cream and soy ice cream.

celticdog

You'll have more difficulties with airport security than with WDW concerning your Epipen. Try to keep it in the original packaging and you should be fine. That's what we do with ours.

DME

I'm allergic to Peanuts. As one chef told us, they don't use peanuts in anything in the restaurants due to the numerous amount of allergies. Your chances of coming into contact are extremely thin...

WDWRLD

Just let them know and like others said the chef will come out and discuss a menu with you. Its almost like eating at the chefs table at V&As(not quite though). You will get something thats probally not on the menu and usually a hearty portion. You would be suprised what they can come up with. You will realize that they are really running a kitchen back there and not just a line of microwaves like most chain sit down resturaunts. You even get the feeling that the chef really enjoys his job because usually they will come out and check to see if the meal is ok and seem cincere (sp) about it. If you have any dining reservations or dinner shows let disney dining know when you make the reservation and again when you arrive.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm allergic to Peanuts. As one chef told us, they don't use peanuts in anything in the restaurants due to the numerous amount of allergies. Your chances of coming into contact are extremely thin...

I would not be so sure. I can almost swear seeing a peanut dipping suace in China at Epcot. Also, most of the resorts sell peanut and nut type snacks as well as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at the counter service resteraunts at the food courts.

**Edit - I recomend you go to the WDWMagic menu search function and type in peanut. There were about 6 other results in addition to this one.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=56673&highlight=peanut

shopgirl

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice-- actually I have a peanut and tree nut allergy and for instance I know there is a salad at Liberty Tree Tavern that has pecans on it- my friend had it the last time we were there. But i will contact disney reservations and notify them when I make dinner reservations-- thanks.

I would say that there is a abundant amount of peanuts and peanut butter still in the parks though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thanks for all the advice-- actually I have a peanut and tree nut allergy and for instance I know there is a salad at Liberty Tree Tavern that has pecans on it- my friend had it the last time we were there. But i will contact disney reservations and notify them when I make dinner reservations-- thanks.

I would say that there is a abundant amount of peanuts and peanut butter still in the parks though.

I would agree with that statement.

hedgewick

I'm glad to see this post. We're going to WDW at the end of the month and my 4 year old is allergic to all nuts. It's a scary thing to deal with but it's great to see how supportive Disney is about food allergies.

sarajo

There is a book that deals with going to WDW for persons with special needs- allergies included. I believe it is called "Passporters Guide to WDW for persons with Special Needs". It's written by the lady who created AllEarsNet, and it was on that website that I found the book. I think you could find it very useful, and it could be something that you could carry with you on your trip for any last minute info.

Disney is VERY accomodating to those with allergies (and any other special need). Just make sure to make your requests/ requirements known.

Enjoy and have a great time! :)

maelstrom

As everyone else has said, Disney is very accomodating to those who have food allergies and even vegetarians and vegans. I try to avoid red meat, and the baked ziti at Tony's is made with meat sauce. I rang up the restaurant and spoke to the chef who said that if given notice, he could make the baked ziti with regular sauce. And this was just for a preference, not a medical need. You'll do a-ok. :)

dcdisney

They are pretty good about keeping any nut products contained in the CS places to prevent cross contamination. They do serve PBJ but they are pre-packaged uncrustables. Certain places that offer many nut crusted items I tend to stay away from as well as Asian restaurants so for me that is O'Hana dinner (peanut sauce), Boma (many nut items including peanut rice and nut crusted fish), and Kona Cafe (many nut items). Crystal Palace and possibly 1900 Park Faire have PB on the cold buffet. The chefs were all helpful and every CS place has an allergy notebook with ingredients. It was occasionally difficult because even though there were no nuts in baked products the whole cross contamination deal and they wouldn't serve me desserts or breads for the most part. I'm only mildly allergic to peanuts but a stronger allergy to almonds and am normally allowed produced in the same factory foods.

I've never had any issues with the Epipen on planes or at WDW.

Yvonne

Dean/Haszard

My son has a peanut & egg allergy. We went in 2005 and had NO problems. I was also told that they do not use peanut oil at Disney. You do however have to be careful with peanuts or peanut products in some of the foods. When you know what restaurants check out the menus and call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom