Paying off trip using Disney gift cards

Mikester71

First I'd like to say that I did do a search on here about this topic but didn't find what I was looking for with regards to this topic. Plus, I really kind of need the info quickly as my wife wants to do this some time later today.

We put down a $200 deposit over the phone when I called and booked our April trip earlier in the week. We have the rest of the money to pay it off right now and would like to just pay it off so that we can start saving up our spending money for the trip. So we are heading down near a Sam's Club in Michigan here today and my wife remembered seeing a deal on Disney gift cards last time we were down there; three $50 cards for $142, which doesn't seem like a lot of savings until you start thinking about $1800 worth of them. She wants to buy some later today and use them to pay off the rest of the trip here today or tomorrow. She's all about saving a few bucks here and there, and like I said, with $1800 worth, you'd be saving just under $100 on your trip.

I know there are probably pros and cons, like anything else, but I was just wondering how much of a pain in the rump it is to pay off your trip with them? I know I have read something about only being able to input a couple at a time on their site, or in a day, or something like that, but never did find a definitive answer on this. I heard it is easier to call the numbers in over the phone, but also read that it is a pain for the CM on the other side who has to listen to you read them all off to them.

Anybody have any experience doing this, and if so, what was the best way to redeem them towards your vacation package? By phone, through the site (which I don't even see on there by the way), or is there another way I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance!

Mikester71

Original Poster
If I would have known about that Disney Vacation Planning account thing on their website a bit earlier, I think I might have actually given it a try after reading up on it here!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Original Poster
Totally worth it to save though. I just got home from Target and I'm on card #4 of 20. Makes me want to go buy a scratch off or two, see if I can't win some money back!

Hope it went a bit smoother for you then it did for me entering them all yesterday.

After sleeping on it, I actually do think it was worth the savings though. Even with that little hiccup or two! :D

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Hope it went a bit smoother for you then it did for me entering them all yesterday.

After sleeping on it, I actually do think it was worth the savings though. Even with that little hiccup or two! :D

Keep all your cards! Just in case something happens and your trip gets cancelled they will put the balances back on each card.

Upvote 0

heath.sneyd

I think it took me about an hour. Seems my fingers were faster than the website could process everything, but it went smooth as butter!
I was just thinking about doing this last night! We have a room only reservation. Can we pay at the resort with Disney gift cards?
I don't see why not, especially if you're taking care of it via MDX.

Upvote 0

Takeitforgranite

I made the deposit on our trip, and for 3 weeks now, I haven't been able to access online payment. It has always been hard to find, but it's not there now. What's the deal?

I always buy gift cards and pay off our trip that way, but I don't want to have to call in with 15 cards in hand.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

We have a similar plan using cards I purchased at BJ's Wholesale: $96 for a $100 gift card x 9 cards. I'll buy cards again before we leave for our mid February trip, as we will use these to renew annual passes. Can't wait to make that call into DVC, heh.
I'm doing this one step better. I have over $800 on my Discover card, so I'll go to BJs and buy the cards, than cash in the $800 when I get my Discover card ... so free!!! Well, earning those Discover $$$s came at a cost ... paying off medical bills for my DH's brain aneurysm surgery and my oldest DS's medical bills for complications from a tonsillectomy.

Upvote 0

Nick Pappagiorgio

I'm doing this one step better. I have over $800 on my Discover card, so I'll go to BJs and buy the cards, than cash in the $800 when I get my Discover card ... so free!!! Well, earning those Discover $$$s came at a cost ... paying off medical bills for my DH's brain aneurysm surgery and my oldest DS's medical bills for complications from a tonsillectomy.

Sorry to hear about all that. I suppose you are making the best of it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom