Pass the Ketchup please, at Whispering Canyon

Mickeylover

Original Poster
My family and I just returned from WDW. During our stay we dined at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. Does anyone know how the whole asking for ketchup thing started? Is their a story behind it? By the way, the laid back atmosphere was really funny and the food was delicious. One of the waiters made one of the guests ride around the cafe on a stick horse because it was his birthday.

P.S. for those of you who dont know, at Whispering Canyon if you ask for ketchup they make a huge deal about it and make you shout out your request in the cafe and then they bring you tons of ketchup bottles.

tigsmom

Originally posted by Mickeylover
My family and I just returned from WDW. During our stay we dined at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge. Does anyone know how the whole asking for ketchup thing started? Is their a story behind it? By the way, the laid back atmosphere was really funny and the food was delicious. One of the waiters made one of the guests ride around the cafe on a stick horse because it was his birthday.

P.S. for those of you who dont know, at Whispering Canyon if you ask for ketchup they make a huge deal about it and make you shout out your request in the cafe and then they bring you tons of ketchup bottles.

Don't know how or when this started , but its great fun. Had my BIL ask for some & he got 15 bottles. Next time ask for a straw. :eek:

We never miss the skillet breakfast while we are there. I've seen them make people ride the pony express & sing Happy Birthday to themselves, one crabby lady had to ride around the room stating (very loudly) " I will have a better attitude & not ruin meals for my family." :lol:
"Big kids" love to ride in the pony express, too. Right Erik?
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=6791&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

General Grizz

Some more fun things to do at the Whispering Canyon...

1. Ask for Pepsi
2. Then order a "large Coke"
3. Then ask for straws
4. Then talk on your cell phone

PURE MAGIC. :D

tigsmom

Originally posted by General Grizz
Some more fun things to do at the Whispering Canyon...

1. Ask for Pepsi
2. Then order a "large Coke"
3. Then ask for straws
4. Then talk on your cell phone

PURE MAGIC. :D

Or wear a shirt with a character from a rival company. :lol:
Or don't finish all of your food...its a fate worse than death. :lookaroun

Main Street USA

We stayed at WL this past year and got our first taste of Whispering Canyon Cafe on our last morning for breakfast. I CANNOT say too many good things about this resort OR it's restaurants. This is Disney at it's best. No doubt about it. I took some extra crap from our waitress for ordering a diet coke at breakfast. :)

tigsmom

Originally posted by Main Street USA
We stayed at WL this past year and got our first taste of Whispering Canyon Cafe on our last morning for breakfast. I CANNOT say too many good things about this resort OR it's restaurants. This is Disney at it's best. No doubt about it. I took some extra crap from our waitress for ordering a diet coke at breakfast. :)

At least you didn't use your cell phone. :lol:

They forgot my daughter's milkshake once & when she reminded the waitress she brought and extra HUGE one...that she HAD to finish or she couldn't leave. :D

TiggerBW

I love that place. I had Christmas dinner there this past Christmas. What fun! It was my grandmom's birthday but since she's 82, they had the rest of the family ride the horses around the restaurant singing "Happy Birthday" real loud. The waiter (named Tiny but he was huge!) even jumped in our picture when we took our family Christmas dinner photo. Too funny!
I recommend it to anyone!!!! :D

Great picture Erik!!!! ha ha

Woody13

You should never talk to another person while you still have some food in your mouth. Probably he or she is not interested in what is happening in it.

Making noise while eating is also considered really rude. Avoid doing it.

Ask for more napkins!:lol:

josh_e_washie

Although I haven't had the opportunity to experience this, I must say I have seen it on the Travel Channel with Samantha Brown...it sure looks funny!

tigsmom

Originally posted by josh_e_washie
Although I haven't had the opportunity to experience this, I must say I have seen it on the Travel Channel with Samantha Brown...it sure looks funny!

If you get the chance you really have to try it...its like nothing else. We have had breakfast (my fav), lunch & dinner there. :wave:

surfsupdon

This place appears to be great! Will def. have to check it out next time. Very reminiscent, to some degree, of the fun antics of 50s Prime Time. Is that a valid comparison? Looks like good food with very interactive wait staff...

Scooter

Thanks for the warning people.

This is one of the reasons why I like this Discussion board.

I like nice quiet peaceful meals. I go to the parks to interact. I don't like to interact while I'm trying to eat.

I avoid places like this and 50's Primetime Cafe like the Plague. :lookaroun

My wife and I went into Chef Mickeys because we like the all-you-can-eat Buffet. We didn't know about the every half hour "Napkin waving"and singing and dancing fiasco. What a nightmare THAT turned out to be for us.

Now we eat next door at The Concourse Steakhouse where we can enjoy a nice quiet relaxing meal.

I'm not knocking it mind you. All our children are grown now. When they were little we would go to places like this but since it's just my wife and I now, all we want when we eat is some quiet conversation and to be left alone while we eat.:lol:

tigsmom

Originally posted by Scooter
Thanks for the warning people.

This is one of the reasons why I like this Discussion board.

I like nice quiet peaceful meals. I go to the parks to interact. I don't like to interact while I'm trying to eat.

I avoid places like this and 50's Primetime Cafe like the Plague. :lookaroun

My wife and I went into Chef Mickeys because we like the all-you-can-eat Buffet. We didn't know about the every half hour "Napkin waving"and singing and dancing fiasco. What a nightmare THAT turned out to be for us.

Now we eat next door at The Concourse Steakhouse where we can enjoy a nice quiet relaxing meal.

I'm not knocking it mind you. All our children are grown now. When they were little we would go to places like this but since it's just my wife and I now, all we want when we eat is some quiet conversation and to be left alone while we eat.:lol:

Ah well, to each his own. :) We always eat at the Concourse Steakhouse when we are WDW, but we love the "atmosphere" at some of the other restaurants, too. I don't think I could take 3 meals in one day at the WCC. :eek:

BigAL

Ketchup

I remeber eating at Ohana ten years or so ago and they slipped Ketchup on our table and then made a big deal about it. I guess they moved the trick to the Wilderness Lodge. I have never seen them do at Ohana again.

Djali999

Whispering Canyon is NOT the place to go if you've got a headache, are hung over, tired, what have you. but if it's the only choice ask to be seated in the "Library" section, which is far away from all the loud stuff. they use it for receptions, conferences etc.

but the food is good and I can't complain. =) the "milkshake" is basically ice cream + more sugar. =P

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom