News Parking Fees increase effective October 16 2018

AEfx

Both fees are ridiculously high. But why is it not a legitimate comparison?

Because you don't go to a sports game for 5 to 7 days in the same week.

Same with the food.

There are also other options - you can park cheaper at a Giant's game, you just have to park further away and walk more. You can't do that if you are staying off-site at WDW.

The parking fees also don't go to the same place that your ticket fees go to in terms of football game - it is going toward the venues and other surrounding companies themselves.

There are many things that make it different.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Same with the food.

There are also other options - you can park cheaper at a Giant's game, you just have to park further away and walk more. You can't do that if you are staying off-site at WDW.

The parking fees also don't go to the same place that your ticket fees go to in terms of football game - it is going toward the venues and other surrounding companies themselves.

The same people will tell you that this is a valid comparison in one breath, and then tell you you can't compare Disney to ITSELF in the next breath.

Jon81uk

You can't do that if you are staying off-site at WDW.
Technically you can use other options, you could take the Lynx bus, call a Mears shuttle or an Uber/Lyft. Also some off-site hotels run shuttles to the parks. Unfortunately I don't think a lot of those work out any cheaper if there are several of you and the parking fee may still be more economical, but there are some alternatives instead of driving.

Personally I think the fees for resort guests to park are worse still, but it still frustrated me when staying at Disney and visiting Universal that we had to pay $20.

peter11435

Same with the food.

Length of stay is an irrelevant argument. Some people (many) only visit WDW for one day too. And many people go to multiple sporting events. The standard is the same you are paying to park for a single day in both cases.

There are cheaper ways to get to the WDW parks also. Uber, lyft, shuttle, taxi, etc. In both cases you are paying a premium for the convenience of parking at the venue.

Who the fee goes to is also a week argument. In both cases the cost goes to upkeep and operation of the lot and profit for its owner. In the case of the sportsman venue it varies who that may be but it’s not always someone different.

AEfx

Length of stay is an irrelevant argument. Some people (many) only visit WDW for one day too. And many people go to multiple sporting events. The standard is the same you are paying to park for a single day in both cases.

Most people do not go to sporting events every day for a week's vacation. And the amount of single-day guests at WDW is a lot lower than you think. Especially since Disney does everything they can do to convince you to spend more time.

In any case, I think you miss the point - length of stay is very relevant as it is the overall aggregate cost it adds to a vacation.

It may be irrelevant to you, and that is fine. /shrug

Who the fee goes to is also a week argument. In both cases the cost goes to upkeep and operation of the lot and profit for its owner. In the case of the sportsman venue it varies who that may be but it’s not always someone different.

No, the reason they can charge so much is because there aren't sporting games every day at the venues and they have a limited amount of time to make a profit. It is an opportunistic thing. They get the money when they can.

Disney has no such excuses. They also have great big old fashioned flat parking lots - not parking structures that cost millions upon millions to build. How often do you see them even doing repaving work? Not very. It is almost pure profit for them, and they haven't invested anything substantial to them in decades.

peter11435

Most people do not go to sporting events every day for a week's vacation. And the amount of single-day guests at WDW is a lot lower than you think. Especially since Disney does everything they can do to convince you to spend more time.

In any case, I think you miss the point - length of stay is very relevant as it is the overall aggregate cost it adds to a vacation.

No, the reason they can charge so much is because there aren't sporting games every day at the venues and they have a limited amount of time to make a profit. It is an opportunistic thing. They get the money when they can.

Disney has no such excuses. They also have great big old fashioned flat parking lots - not parking structures that cost millions upon millions to build. How often do you see them even doing repaving work? Not very. It is almost pure profit for them, and they haven't invested anything substantial to them in decades.
The number of single day WDW visitors is clearly a lot more than you think. Trust me. You’d be very surprised. I’m not saying many people go to multiple sporting events. I’m saying that in both cases you are paying for parking for a single day.

Yes the cost adds up. But that isn’t and shouldn’t be the metric used to decide prices. It doesn’t apply to nearly anything else so why should it apply here.

The parks can charge so much for the very same reason. While the parks are open every day, the average guests isn’t there every day. They are being opportunistic in just the same way by getting as much out of each customer/guest when they can.

Most sporting venues do not have parking structures. They have similar giant flat lots and in some cases just grass lots. Even a large flat lot has expenses. Parking Cast, tram operation and maintence, teams of mechanics for those trans, lighting, security, property taxes, and lot maintence. And actually yes the parks lots receive new top coats and stripping every few years. They very recently did a couple lots at Epcot and several at MK. Animal kingdom was entirely redone leading up to pandora and studios is currently being redone.

Naplesgolfer

They have spent large amounts on road and parking improvements lately . Look at the the new entrance with ticket booth at DHS. They also greatly increased the size of the parking lot itself.

They just completed a overpass on world drive and three parking decks at disney springs ( free parking). Parking fees are the sole direct linked revenue source for parking and room improvements.

Walt d

Ouch! It's going to hurt just a bit more for the off-property guests to visit...
Plus disney chargeing to breathe the air, at the parks. You can rent a air tank and mask, for only $75.00 for two hr. Or $150.00 for four hours . Entry into a park with your own air and mask is now only $300.00 per day.. plus tour ticket

disneyflush

They could charge $50 for parking. No one is turning around at the parking gates.

Could they or should they are completely different beasts.

Indy_UK

Have to agree. While I’d rather moan about yet again more price hikes, everyone is going to continue to pay and go, so why bother anymore

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
They could charge $50 for parking. No one is turning around at the parking gates.

Could they or should they are completely different beasts.
Its $40 to $60 bucks to ark around the new Falcons Stadium here in Atlanta. That's enough for me not to park close or better yet, not go.

People would turn around in a heartbeat if they charged $50... especially with a pending downturn in the next 18 months (my own prediction, nothing "official")

Tom P.

Disney has no such excuses.
Disney doesn't need any excuses. It's a luxury item and it's their property. They can raise the price to $500 per day to park if they want. They don't have to have an excuse.

If you don't like it, don't go. Simple as that. One can exist without a Walt Disney World vacation just fine. When market forces dictate to Disney that their fees are too high, they will lower them. As long as a sufficient number of people keep showing up and paying the prices, they will keep raising them.

I don't know why we have to keep having this same debate over and over again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom