Parent swap passes?

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Excuse me if this is the wrong forum, I can't decide where this should go. It's my first day. Move it if you must.

However, as far as waiting in line - is it true that when one parent goes on a ride they can ask for a parent swap pass to give to the other parent, allowing the other parent to use the fastpass line instead of the regular line??

For example...mom gets a fastpass for Thunder Mt while Dad gets a fastpass for Splash Mt. When the time comes, mom rides Thunder Mt. and asks for a parent swap pass. She brings it out to dad who gets to use the pass to wait in the fastpass line instead of the regular line. Then they go over to Splash Mt. and dad rides using his fastpass and asks for a parent swap pass, gives it to mom and she gets to wait in the fastpass line also.

Is this true?

I always thought both parents had to wait in line together and trade the kids at the loading platform.

Jonathan

My understanding is that if you both want to use the Fastpass line then you both have to have a fastpass. I think you do just swap the kids at the loading platform for most rides, but some you have to have the other parent wait someplace else (like if the load and drop-off points are in different places).

Disney Hog

Some rides have the swap outside and some have them by the ride. It depends on the ride, where the exits are and whether there is a pre-show.

If you want to ride fast pass, you normally have to give a CM outside your fast pass ticket in exchange for a swap pass. Sometimes they don't ask for it, but most times they do. We have a couple of left over fast passes that were never collected.

I would not suggest trying to cheat on the fast passes. Not only could you get caught but you could get stuck with one person taking a fast pass, while the other waits in line.

tmp

We did this two years ago with my wife's nephew. Go to the Castmember at the front of line and tell them you have a child and want to switch off. They will then issue you a fastpass for the other member of your part. When we last did it we had eight in our party we all got out regular fastpasses then we went to the castmember and said we need to switch off. Every time we received additional fastpasses (they actually always gave us three) for switch off purposes. So seven of us would go on the ride while one waited with the baby. Then the last person would go on and still have people to ride the attraction with because they issued the additional passes.

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow cool!

Do they only give you the extra fastpasses when you have more than 2 adults in your party? I can't see a reason that they'd do it if there were only 2 adults. But if there were more then they'd do it so neither parent would have to ride alone.

This would be a good technique to use if my sister and her boyfriend end up coming with us to Disney this summer.

tmp

I'm not sure. We were not trying to pull a fast one, but every ride we need to switch this is what occurred. Now we weren't stupid we realized after a few times that this may not be the way it is intended to be used, but we just kept our mouth shut and enjoyed. Every time we went to the castmember and asked them how to use the "switch off." Each time this was the result so maybe they do this for bigger parties I'm not sure, but like I said it was always three fastpasses never more never less. I hope it works for you and you enjoy your trip.

Disney Hog

The rules with child swapping are that up to three people can get a swap pass. When we went a couple of months ago, we always got three passes so that I could wait with my younger two kids and then I was able to ride with my older two kids after they rode with their mother. My children got to ride every child swap ride twice. They loved it!

It is a good program for families. With the child swap most people can enjoy the rides together.

PixyDust

Here's what we've always done, and it is always ok. The last time we were at WDW was April 2004, so this is current info.

We go up to the CM, show that we have a young child in a stroller, he gives us a Rider Switch Pass. I get in line with the older child while hubby goes and does something else. When I get out, hubby gets the RSP and the older child, and they go through the Fast Pass line.

These passes allow up to three people to go through on them. So if you have a couple of kids old enough for the ride, they can ride twice.

No problems, no waiting with the smaller child. The exception to this is Dinosaur. Otherwise, I can't think of any exceptions to this rule.

Rider Switch Passes RULE!!!

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thank you for all this info!!

It sounds like the reason they give the extra fastpasses or the rider switch passes is so the mom can take the older kid and then the dad can take the older kid. What if there is no older kid?

Both my kids are too small to ride any of the thrill rides (my older son is 3 inches shy). Would they give us the RSP's even with no older child going on the ride? Or would we be best off just waiting in line together with the kids and switching off at the loading platform?

Either way, next year when my son is old enough for the big rides this will work great for us!

Disney Hog

The only rides that I know of that will let you switch on the platform are Star Tours and Body Wars. With Dinosaur you have to wait in line through the preshow and then one parent and the children step into the exit area and wait until the other comes out.

The other rides have gone to an outside setup. It is still rather convenient. Like PixyDust said, let one parent go on the ride as the other gets a snack, shops around or even gets fastpasses for another ride.

It still works with just parents, but you'll both ride by yourself. When we went several years ago, we just skipped the rides that the bigger kids couldn't go on. It didn't seem like it would be that fun by ourselves.

Have fun.

KevinPage

So let me see if I understand this based on what my situation will be. We have a 4 month old, my wife, I and mother in law usually go to the park. Mother in law watches the baby, while the wife and I ride. Then when the mother in law gets to ride, would one of us get to ride with her or does she have to ride alone?

Also, does she have to use a FastPass or get to go right on once we are off?

Thanks for your help :)

Disney Hog

Originally posted by KevinPage
So let me see if I understand this based on what my situation will be. We have a 4 month old, my wife, I and mother in law usually go to the park. Mother in law watches the baby, while the wife and I ride. Then when the mother in law gets to ride, would one of us get to ride with her or does she have to ride alone?

Also, does she have to use a FastPass or get to go right on once we are off?

Thanks for your help :)

Your mother-in-law can ride again immediately with someone else (you or your wife). The swap pass allows you to get in the fast pass lane once you are off.

The child swap is available on:
Mission Space
Test Track
Body Wars
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Tower of Terror
Rockin RollerCoaster
Dinosaur
Primevil Whirl
Kali River Rapids

There might be a couple more, but that's off the top of my head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom