Oz

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I was fortunate to get to watch a sneek preview of the new Oz movie last night! Everyone should go see it. It's far from perfect, but it has a very climactic ending that makes the whole thing worth watching. Make sure you see it in a 3D theater because the effects will envelop you in the action. This is the best 3D movie since Avatar. When you watch it, don't sit through all the credits, like I did, expecting a final scene showing Dorothy's house crash landing...

That said, look at how all this would fit in perfectly NW of the FLE near the HM. Notice the empty space in that area on the new maps. I wonder if a FLE Phase 3 could be planned in the LIKELY event that Oz really does well. I think it will. Let me know your thoughts after you see the movie!

luv

Other than the effects and how it looked, what did you think? Plot, characters, that sort of thing.

I'm so hoping its a good movie.

WED99

Isn't it out in the US yet? We got it yesterday. It was a great movie! I loved it! It wasn't afraid to break the mould of classic disney movies and tried lots of new things. The black and white scenes at the start were great and really made the visuals in Oz look so much better. The story was really well made especially when you know the alternate meaning. The 3D is just wow, never blended in like most films really stayed in your face in a good way the whole movie.

Only negative point, I would have chosen a better actor for the wicked witch. Mila Kunis was great as theodora but seeing such a sweet and beautiful girl turn so wicked was just odd. She's made for playing a certain type of role, this wasn't it.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Other than the effects and how it looked, what did you think? Plot, characters, that sort of thing.

I'm so hoping its a good movie.
Well, without spoiling it, it's a better prequel than the Star Wars prequels were. It sets you up perfectly for the beginning of Wizard of Oz. I mean quite litterly to the point that I was expecting the final scene to be Dorothy's house come crashing down and killing one of the bad witches.

Besides that, the screenplay was almost perfect - that's coming from someone who actually took courses on the subject. I just felt the dialog for most of the beginning half needed work. Plot wise, it's fine. The Wizard just reminded me too much of Johnny Dangerously. The actress who played Genda (the Good Witch) sounded, looked like, and acted like the original actress who played her.

There's some moments that were were creative. Other moments that made my eyes water with emotion. Notice, near the end, there's a very subtle underlying debate and message among the characters about this whole issue about creativity and taking the bull by the horn to lead that movement of change and creativity. I wonder if John Lasseter had a hand in this. I see this as an internal company debate spilling subconsciously into the dialog. There are also very indirect and subtle themetic ties to Star Wars (watch the gatekeeper scene, for example, compare with "These aren't the droids you're looking for" scene from Star Wars. I won't even get into the fact that Oz witches have Sith lightning bolt powers...

Bob Saget

Just saw on Rottentomatoes.com that it's not even as favorable by critics as Spiderman 3. :eek:
Of course, it's still new and that could all change. I'm still gonna give it a try.

J03Y

Only negative point, I would have chosen a better actor for the wicked witch. Mila Kunis was great as theodora but seeing such a sweet and beautiful girl turn so wicked was just odd. She's made for playing a certain type of role, this wasn't it.

some of us haven't read any spoilers or heard rumors. just a little fyi. because you just ruined the whole movie for me.

anyways i wanna go see it! looks cool. maybe not the best ever but it looks cool anyway.

and the Tangled bathrooms are occupying that space in FL near HM. if that's what you're talking about. but they could easily make an expansion in Fantasyland that extends you to Oz and Wonderland. they deserve representation imo.

DisneyGuyNYC

some of us haven't read any spoilers or heard rumors. just a little fyi. because you just ruined the whole movie for me.

anyways i wanna go see it! looks cool. maybe not the best ever but it looks cool anyway.

and the Tangled bathrooms are occupying that space in FL near HM. if that's what you're talking about. but they could easily make an expansion in Fantasyland that extends you to Oz and Wonderland. they deserve representation imo.
That doesn't ruin the whole movie, don't worry! Mila Kunis herself discussed this plot point in like every single interview.

J03Y

That doesn't ruin the whole movie, don't worry! Mila Kunis herself discussed this plot point in like every single interview.

what omg Dx

but like i'd imagine it's such a crucial part of the movie why spoil it? it'd make for much more shock value if it then happened to be her who becomes the Wicked Witch. like seriously this entire time i thought it was her sister until this thread.

DisneyGuyNYC

what omg Dx

but like i'd imagine it's such a crucial part of the movie why spoil it? it'd make for much more shock value if it then happened to be her who becomes the Wicked Witch. like seriously this entire time i thought it was her sister until this thread.
Aw... sorry! It's still great fun though and there are a lot more surprises to come so don't read up anymore!

J03Y

Aw... sorry! It's still great fun though and there are a lot more surprises to come so don't read up anymore!

duly noted lol. and i forget that pre-screenings happen a lot more often. i should've come into this thread knowing some people have seen it in advance.

PeterAlt

Original Poster

Yeah, you will notice the castle and castle walls in the movie look like it came straight out of FLE. Also, the evil castle to the west in the movie would make a great backdrop transition to the HM.

WED99

This is not a major part of the movie at all, they're saving that for the Wicked movie. This film focuses on Oz's journey which I will not spoil because it's fun seeing how a con man becomes a real wizard :)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
In the credits at the very end, an interesting legal disclaimer was added: "For UK purposes, all names and characters contained within are the sole property and copyrights of WDE."

Sounds like their lawyers found a loophole in British law allowing them to claim ownship of Oz copyrights...

Zman-ks

is it even possible to get less critical claim than Spiderman 3 :confused:
75.gif

lol

bsiev1977

Just read this on ign.com, about Disney already planning another Oz movie:

"Variety reports that the studio has commissioned Mitchell Kapner to write a follow-up to the Sam Raimi picture. He co-wrote the first film with David Lindsay-Abaire.
There's no info yet on what the film will be about, but as the trade paper notes, Kapner can utilize L. Frank Baum’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. That book is in the public domain, and is the basis of the classic 1939 Judy Garland film. That said, the sequel will not be able to use any of the concepts that originated while making the Warner Bros. picture -- including the famed ruby slippers."

Could be interesting. Making a film that follows the novel more exactly could be good.
Though, seemingly remaking an all-time classic movie will open Disney up to a major ****storm of criticism. Even though the 1939 movie takes bits from several of Baum's books.
I'd be willing to give it a chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom