Own Car vs. Disney Transportation??

Aurora79

My husband and I are driving to the world for our trip in January. Just wondering if it would be better to drive to the parks/ other resorts (for a few ADR's) or use Disney transportation. Thoughts?? Thanks -A

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm a huge proponent of renting cars for WDW.
If you're already bringing your own it's a no brainer.
Are you staying onsite..?
If so...You won't have to pay for parking at the parks and i would suggest using your vehicle the entire time you're at the world.
You'll get about 2-3 hours of your day back :) every day.

Upvote 0

Aurora79

Original Poster
Hey Shookie, yes we are staying at All Star Music...wasn't sure if it would save time or not but now I know, thanks so much :)

Upvote 0

SAV

No matter if we stay on-site or off, we always rent a car. It's great to have your freedom to make a quick run to Wal-Mart or Target to pick up things. Or if you want to eat off-site, you can. Not to mention being able to go around the World at your pace instead of waiting for buses. As was mentioned, flash your Key to the World and Parking is included.

Upvote 0

Aurora79

Original Poster
Oh yes, I must go offsite to get my Starbuck's in the A.M...being that I've worked for the company for 6 years I have quite the addiction :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Oh yes, I must go offsite to get my Starbuck's in the A.M...being that I've worked for the company for 6 years I have quite the addiction :ROFLOL:

I cannot stand their over roasted/burnt beans. I refuse to waste money on that place. I had to throw that in there.

In relation to your question; we typically drive and do not use the vehicle much once there. I guess we have had good luck with internal transit or use logic and don't travel around high traffic periods. As far as making ADR reservations, we haven no problem visiting X park a good while before our reservation.

Upvote 0

Aurora79

Original Poster
Scoutn, last time we flew down, did not rent a car and we did fine with Disney transportation as well, we shall see how it goes once we are down there crowd wise, how long to wait for a bus and what not....oh and next month Starbuck's is launching a new roasting method...much lighter and will be called "Blonde" roast, you might like:)

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

We drive down, and take the van to all the parks except MK. We like the idea of walking out of the room, getting in the van, and off we go. We do ride the bus to MK, it is worth the wait not having to take the boat or monorail.

Upvote 0
I personally like not having to drive once I get there. That's part of the appeal for us. Granted most of the time I fly and rely on Tiffany Town Car to get us there...buses and an occasional taxi from a crowded Epcot departure or to an early morning ADR...but mostly just take the buses. When we have driven down, we still don't use the car. For us, it just works and it's part of the Disney experience.

Upvote 0

Polydweller

We love using the rental car. Staying at the Poly we don't use it for MK or Epcot obviously but it's great for everywhere else. Everything is on our schedule not Disney transportation's schedule.

Upvote 0

mjmyers10

You can get some great rates on rental cars if you look hard enough. There are always tons of discount codes out there.

I don't recommend driving to Magic Kingdom because you have to park at the TTC.

Upvote 0

minnielaw

We always drive down and use our car to drive to all the parks. I have never used the Disney transportation and so cannot comment on its efficiency. It is free to park and we love being in control. When we are ready to leave, we leave...no waiting for a bus, looking for seats, listening to crying children.

I would suggest that if you have already used the Disney transportation that you try using your car and see which you prefer. Many people post that they prefer the buses as it is "part of the experience". We do use the boat from POR to DTD and enjoy that, but it is much slower than driving.

Next October we are staying at BW and will be able to walk to Epcot and DHS! So excited!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

SMS55

I drive because we aren't that far, but I do use Disney transportation quite a bit. We use it to get to and from the parks all the time. It's not as bad as some make it out to be. Sure you wait a few minutes, but what's your rush, you are on vacation not back at work. Also after a long day at the parks I don't want to fight traffic back to the hotel, especially if a park has long extra magic hours. I like to go off site to eat sometimes and with kids a trip to Target may be needed, but I do rely on Disney transportation on site.

Upvote 0

R W B

We have always driven to WDW but I can say I have never taken my car to a park. We always use the buses and monorails. I like not having to worry about driving to a park and finding a parking space and driving back to the resort at night. We do drive our car when we resort hop though, that's much easier.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

We have flown twice and used car service to/from airport, and driven 4 other times, but ALL 6 trips, we have used Disney Transportation. I am the "DRIVER" of all of our trips, and I LOVE letting someone else do the driving so I can sight see around the world! We have never had any issues really other than over crowding the buses in PEAK times, but in January, it should not be that bad. Either way, you still have the freedom to come and go as you choose. Wait time really is not much different, by the time it takes to find the tram to take you to the parking lot and then to find your car, you could possibly already be on the bus/monorail to your hotel. Basically, it just comes down to your preference.

Upvote 0

lbrad

We drive our own vehicle to WDW then ususally park it once we arrive.
We do stop at wal Mart on our way in to Disney.
We sometimes drive to oue resort ADR's just easier & quicker
Have a magical trip:wave:

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

We drove our own car and once we were on property the only time we used it was to either drive to the bus stop (staying at riverside it was a long walk and we were tired at the end of the day) or to drive to another resort for an ADR. Other than that WDW transportation was always very quick and we were there over the 4th of july.

Upvote 0

93boomer

Premium Member
We use WDW transportation or walk. After a 10 hr. drive, we do not want to drive again until we leave. We love staying at BCV so we can walk to Epcot and DHS or we take the boat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom