"Out of the Wild" small shop to close

llrain

Original Poster
Heard from our very dear friend that works at Out of the Wild shop, located at Rafiki's planet watch, that her store is permanently closing. She has been with the Disney Company for 30+ years and has worked at this shop since 1998. She is an ambassador to the Disney Conservation Fund and alone, one single cast member, has raised close to $500,000 for the fund. She is not losing her job, she is being moved to the Mombasa Marketplace in Africa as part of the closure but she is very heart broken and doesn't think that she will be able to continue her efforts in this location ( despite the larger foot traffic area).
so if anyone recently has plans to go to Out of the wild have a chat with Dawn. She is the sweetest woman. Dont hesitate to donate if you chat with her, we do a 100.00 Donation every year we travel down for the fund and the extra special pin that gets sent to your home ( no, not the round ones).
Tell her Bryan and Megan sent you!

JustInTime

I have no idea what this is and now I’m sad I never got to visit. What was offered there? Thanks for letting us know!

DisneyWorld30th

If only there was other gift shops throughout Animal Kingdom that offer the same merchandise as this one. Rafiki's Planet Watch should be replaced with something else.

OG Runner

The area really should be updated to make it more of an attraction. I went to this area once, when my sons were very young.
That would have been in 1998 when the park opened or 2000. We have not gone back since.

llrain

Original Poster
I have no idea what this is and now I’m sad I never got to visit. What was offered there? Thanks for letting us know!
They had alot of animal plush mostly , beverages, the candy packets, animal puzzles and small toys. It was across from the petting zoo basically right outside the doors when you exit the back of the main building. It is basically the same size as the World Traveler shop at the World showcase entrance, honestly its small than the World Traveler, much smaller..best i can think of though. How bout this, its so small they dont even sell trading pins, I mean everywhere sells trading pins.

Goes to show, she was in a low traffic area, postage stamp size space, getting almost $500,000 in conservation donations alone!

llrain

Original Poster
Having this as a seating area is probably a better guest service than a gift shop to be honest. I can think of a few other areas across WDW that this should happen to.
So this is the way now huh? any small to mid size shop or attraction closing is turned into cheap backyard picnic tables that look totally amateurish. This better not become the trend for such closures. lets keep a tally.

Space # 1. Once a qiurky attraction, a cross between a mini roller coaster and a mouse maze is demolished to make way for a square stamp of concrete with 3 out of place, anyones backyard picnic tables. Primeval Whirl

Space # 2. A small quaint shop with a concentration on Animal Conservation selling animal trinkets and a hub for The Disney COnservation Fund. Out of the wild Gift Shop
Space # 3?TBT
Space #4?TBT

celluloid

So this is the way now huh? any small to mid size shop or attraction closing is turned into cheap backyard picnic tables that look totally amateurish. This better not become the trend for such closures. lets keep a tally.

Space # 1. Once a qiurky attraction, a cross between a mini roller coaster and a mouse maze is demolished to make way for a square stamp of concrete with 3 out of place, anyones backyard picnic tables. Primeval Whirl

Space # 2. A small quaint shop with a concentration on Animal Conservation selling animal trinkets and a hub for The Disney COnservation Fund. Out of the wild Gift Shop
Space # 3?TBT
Space #4?TBT

It is a lot nicer and larger but the concept seems similar if I recall reading about the AMC Theater closure replacement correctly.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
To be fair, Planet Watch needed more comfortable places to sit. All they really have is the stage with benches and no backs to them. Rafiki’s is the Tom Sawywr Island of AK. I love to go there for a break from the crowds. It’s my nap zone.
Pretty sure that’s temporary. Might be there for a while, but I’m sure they have some long term plans. Primeval Whirl has a lot of issues and a bad history of injuries and customer complaints.
Read above
Space # 3?TBT
Hollywood Studios needs one or two. :)
Space #4?TBT
Disney Springs could use one too.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’m surprised that CM wasn’t fired and charged with theft - That was $500k which could have gone towards quarterly financials and shareholder dividends! Instead it went to some nebulous “conservation fund”, I bet Josh and $lappie will have all of that investigated thoroughly. 😉

llrain

Original Poster
I’m surprised that CM wasn’t fired and charged with theft - That was $500k which could have gone towards quarterly financials and shareholder dividends! Instead it went to some nebulous “conservation fund”, I bet Josh and $lappie will have all of that investigated thoroughly. 😉
Love your humor..well done!!!

castlecake2.0

Space # 3?TBT
Space #4?TBT
That’s a little dramatic. Space 1 the coaster had reached the end of its life. The seating area is temporary. Space 2 was no longer deemed necessary as a gift shop and is being turned into a space guests can use to relax and recharge. The parks need more areas for guests to sit, it’s been said on here for years. Guests can donate to the DWCF at any register.
I hope the cm enjoys her new location and its incredible backstory and can use that storytelling to continue to contribute to the DWCF.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom