Opting Out

MadMax11

Original Poster
My family is travelling to WDW along with my parents in June. They're in their 70's and do not have a smart phone...nor do they want one. That's making me think that we need to opt out entirely from the whole magic band experience.....anyone else deal with that?

Also...I'm assuming if we opt out of magic bands we are still issued a key card to get into our rooms and the parks. Correct? We can still acquire fast passes that way?

Help is appreciated!

MaryJaneP

Not Nostradamus here, so hard to predict what June will be like. May have to wait until closer to know. Current comments I hear are that people can get both a KTTW card and have a MB. Also that paper FP and FP+ are still available. There are rumors of this changing as "testing" advances/completes, maybe as soon as January.

lazyboy97o

My family is travelling to WDW along with my parents in June. They're in their 70's and do not have a smart phone...nor do they want one. That's making me think that we need to opt out entirely from the whole magic band experience.....anyone else deal with that?

Also...I'm assuming if we opt out of magic bands we are still issued a key card to get into our rooms and the parks. Correct? We can still acquire fast passes that way?

Help is appreciated!
It is expected that FastPass will eventually no longer be an option. Whether or not it is an option in June is probably hard to say with authority right now. You'll still be able to get a Key to the World card instead of a MagicBand, there just won't be any FastPass machines in which to use it.

MadMax11

Original Poster
So...without a smart phone...how does this work?

Me, my wife and older son all have iPhones..good to go.

My parents on the other hand, do not....soooo....??

lazyboy97o

Selections can also be made beforehand on a computer. You can also link accounts so that one person can make FastPass+ selections for the entire family. That would enable you to make choices/changes for your parents from your phone.

MadMax11

Original Poster
Cool. So I could make choices/changes using my iPhone that would apply to my parents' bands as well, provided I set them up as friends/family under my Disney app...is that right?

lazyboy97o

Cool. So I could make choices/changes using my iPhone that would apply to my parents' bands as well, provided I set them up as friends/family under my Disney app...is that right?
Correct. And you do not need the MagicBands to use FastPass+. You can also link to a Key to the World card and use that if desired.

MadMax11

Original Poster
Got it. Ok, this might be manageable after all. :)

My parents have been DVC owners since the first day it was offered. Literally the second family to buy in. I'm going to have to do some planning, which isn't something I typically have to do for as often as we go. Going to have to call a family meeting soon!

Rob562

You have two options when handling others in your group:

1) Have them create profiles of their own on the My Disney Experience site and everyone friend-requests everyone else so that anyone can make FP+ reservations for anyone else. This is the required option for anyone who wants to log in (online or via mobile app) to change their own FP+ reservations

2) The "leader" of the group can create "managed by them" profiles under their own MDE login. They would then be in charge of FP+ reservations, Magic Bands, etc for those sub-profiles. This option is usually the best option for young children who wouldn't want or need to log in on their own. People who have their own profiles under option 1 above can still "Friend" these people with the option 2 profiles after they're created, giving them access to making FP+, etc. on their behalf.

While Option 2 *might* sound good for your parents, if they're the "owners" of the resort reservation it might get a bit complicated. In that instance, having them create their own profiles, linking them and then never dealing with them again might be their best choice. Since they've been DVC owners for so long they most likely already have a login account on the Disney site. They should go in through that login to create their profiles under MDE. One of the biggest problems that I read about cropping up are when people have multiple log-ins on the Disney site (one with just a username, one with their email address as the username, one with an *old* email address as their username, etc) and various reservations get made under different accounts...

Also, even when you create profiles under Option 2, the people associated with them can still eventually "take over" control of the profile in the future simply by the owner of the main account selecting the "Invite" button and sending them a friend request. Once accepted, the other person will then "inherit" the profile and control it themselves. This is helpful when you have a situation like a child who originally didn't need to access their profile, but then gets older to the point where they want to log in themselves.

I think the main thing to keep in mind to minimize the chance of problems cropping up with profiles and linked accounts, etc is for everyone to create and inter-link their accounts *before* you get started planning and linking your vacation plans.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom