Opening Room with Phone

cmwade77

Original Poster
Now that they aren't sending magic bands and are encouraging people to use their phones to open the doors can someone tell me exactly step by step (with video for bonus points) how to actually make it work? I have tried on past trips and have never been able to use my phone to open the hotel room door.

ETA: Using an Android phone, not iPhone.

JohnD

It can be done with the app but takes more time. If you have existing MBs, just make sure they're active and bring them. Otherwise, just get a Key to the World card at the front desk.

notourdino

Make sure you're using an android with an NFC reader in it or (just incase anyone with an iPhone is curious) an iPhone 8 or later.

Clamman73

I wish instead of flat, the reader on the door was angled or at a 90 because it’s such a pain to sometimes flip around your wrist especially if you’re carrying something....and don’t get me started with the stupid gates into the resort.

cmwade77

Original Poster
I tried the phone option once or twice in our several trips to WDW in 2019. Not a fan. So much easier with the MB.
Yeah, it just would be nice on the occasions I forgot my magic band in the room and to.not have to get one from another member of my party or have them run back for it.

Zé_Carioca

It might be old school for you, but you can always ask at the front desk for a room key! I prefer having that than taking the time to open the app and do it with m phone. You can also use an old magic band to open the door, as long as it is linked to your MDX app.

cmwade77

Original Poster
It might be old school for you, but you can always ask at the front desk for a room key! I prefer having that than taking the time to open the app and do it with m phone. You can also use an old magic band to open the door, as long as it is linked to your MDX app.
Yeah, we do that as well, but doesn't mean I can't forget both at the same time (been there, done that).

Nottamus

I haven’t had great luck with phone opening door. Works like 1 time for every 3 tries...in my experience. I’ll be one that def brings old MB. Or at least the puck...I had just purchased for last trip...a puck holder that slipped right on watch band.

Buck Wheelie

I too will be going old school and get a room key card. I think it's a pain to get phone out, open app then go through the process of unlocking the door.

Zé_Carioca

I too will be going old school and get a room key card. I think it's a pain to get phone out, open app then go through the process of unlocking the door.
Yes! The Disney app can sadly be very slow at times, especially when it comes to the room portion/opening the door. When I am tired after a long day, every second counts. Plus, with how much I need to use my phone at Disney (FP+ before, mobile ordering, show times etc) I know there might be a chance my phone might be dead and I would need another way to open my door.

cmwade77

Original Poster
Nope - no phone. We consider this to be a security risk. If nothing else? Change the locks and use KEYS. Those ugly physical Brass things.
Too many problems with lost keys that way, best to just issue key cards and it still wouldn't help in my scenario as if I forgot the room key on the room, it would really take a long time.

As for security, you ha e to enter a password or use biometrics to unlock your room (if it works from the phone).

NelleBelle

Too many problems with lost keys that way, best to just issue key cards and it still wouldn't help in my scenario as if I forgot the room key on the room, it would really take a long time.

As for security, you ha e to enter a password or use biometrics to unlock your room (if it works from the phone).
So what exactly is it that you want? There seem to be several videos and directions on Disney’s website. Why not bring an old MB and get a KTTW card so you have multiple options to unlocking your door. And if you are that forgetful, which we’ve all locked ourselves out of room from time to time or not had the door open, stuff happens and you gotta roll with it! People have offered solutions and you shoot them down all down with an excuse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom