Old Key West, but not at Disney. Suggestions Welcomed.

21stamps

Original Poster
I've always shielded my 7 year old from the "news". Obviously with Hurricane Harvey we watched and talked, shopped for supplies and sent them, and participated in fund raising events.
The same with Irma, but as we have a strong personal connection to the Keys,fund raising and supplies just didn't feel like enough.
We decided, together, that Disney World will be there for "next time", right now we need to go show personal support for the islands we love. So, as many of you know, I cancelled our November WDW trip to go to the Keys instead.

I've always stayed at the Casa Marina (part of the Waldorf, now owned by Hilton chain) and I absolutely love it. However, I think this trip would be better to stay at a B&B that is locally owned. Several of them have not reopened yet, several don't accept children.
I found a few that should be reopening the end of the month but reservations are unavailable, waiting on returned messages.
Fingers crossed that I find something.

Obviously Key West was not the hardest hit Island, but these people lost so much revenue in the past month without tourism and many not able to return home. The whole goal of this trip is to provide my tourism dollars to the local economy, and to spend at least 2 full days volunteering in Big Pine Key or another devastated Key. I've contacted a few local volunteer organizations there, will check back closer to so I know where we can be of more assistance.

Also, I saw on FB that a family offered to sponsor a family, with children, for Christmas, someone who lost their home during Irma.
Basically providing presents for the kids.
I like this idea and am thinking about offering the same, but I'd like to do something for the adult as well. Maybe a single parent family?
The problem is - I'd have to post it publically on the FB page.. and then how do you choose?! I can't imagine making that choice.

Thoughts on this idea?
Or any other ideas at all?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom