O'hana

Willbgone

I am seriously contiplating doing dinner at O'hana one night while we are there in March. I already have PS at the followng:
50' Prime Time - Dinner Day 1
Crystal Palace - Lunch Day 2
Rainforest Cafe - Lunch Day 3
1900 Park Fare - Dinner Day 5

So as you can see Day 4 is open. We were thinking about going to Whispering Canyon for dinner but the more good things I hear about O'hana the more I want to go there. Here is my question:

Which one is better Whispering Canyou or O'hana?

We have a 2 year old which is better for her?

Which is a better value? :slurp:

Mr. Tom Morrow

Tough Decision!

Ouch, this one is a tough decision! Whispering Canyon is a must stop (for lunch) for us on every trip to WDW. We always order the all you can enjoy lunch, and usually don’t need dinner! We tried ‘Ohana for the first time this past December, which as you may know is also all you can enjoy. Both have excellent food and great atmosphere. I would have to say, if you can’t do both then flip a coin! Although, since Rainforest Café is now available in most large cities (possibly back home?) and the food is much better at either Whispering Canyon or ‘Ohana, I would consider switching Rainforest Café with either of these two.

Upvote 0

Willbgone

Original Poster
Re: Tough Decision!

Originally posted by Mr. Tom Morrow
Although, since Rainforest Café is now available in most large cities (possibly back home?) and the food is much better at either Whispering Canyon or ‘Ohana, I would consider switching Rainforest Café with either of these two.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I live in a very small town and the nearest city to me thats really large enough for a Rain Forest is Atlanta or Charlotte both 1 1/2 hours away. I'm not sure if either even have a Rainforest. So we definetly are keeping that one! I would put it up to a vote in our party but they will all say what ever I want since I'm doing all the research and planning. :brick:

Upvote 0

Figaro

If you have time, you can do both....go to O'hana's for the character breakfast. My 3 year old loved it. They had dances, played games, had a parade. The food is standard, all-you-can eat...nothing outstanding but the atmosphere is excellent.

We also are big fans of the Whispering Canyon so it is a tough choice to make between the two. Good Luck!

Upvote 0

SamatBCV

We ate at Whispering Canyon in December. I'd heard great things about it and they were right. It is a fun place to eat and has great food. Unfortunately I've never eaten at O'hana so I don't know how it is. However, if I remember correctly O'hana is family style (set menu). (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) I prefer choosing from the menu to family style, so that combined with the fun factor at WC would lead me to recommend Whispering Canyon.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I would tend to agree about dropping Rainforest. This is based on a disappointing experience at our local branch.

The food seems overpriced--even by WDW standards--and the restaurant is very loud.

I don't necessarily mind "loud", but I find the stick pony races at Whispering Canyon fun, and an animatronic monkey screeching every 10 minutes to be annoying.

You might do a search here for "Rainforest Cafe". Here is one thread that mentions it, especially with young children.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthre...age=15&highlight=rainforest cafe&pagenumber=2

Good luck and have a great trip.

PS--I forgot to mention. Do whatever you have to in order to eat at 'Ohana. It is not to be missed. The only warning is that if you do not like grilled meat, you won't be happy. If however, unlimited steak and shrimp sounds good, you will be thrilled.

Upvote 0

Disneynutcase

I second the opinion on bailing out on Rainforest. Although the atmosphere is interesting, I've found both their food and service to be mediocre at best. And it happens to be the chain's (sub)standard, because they were pretty lame (and quite a bit over-priced) in the three I've eaten at--LA, Atlanta, and WDW.

Ohana's for dinner is great fun. And the bonus is that you can plan the dinner around Fantasy in the Sky fireworks shows and Seven Seas Lagoon Water Pageant Electric Parade thingy (what's it really called again?).

I haven't done Whispering Canyon, but keep hearing mainly stellar reports about it. And it's on my "to-do" list for an upcoming WDW trip.

Although you didn't really list your park touring plans, if you are doing your Rainforest lunch at AK as part of your AK touring, maybe you could instead grab some far superior counter service inside AK (they reputedly have some terrific food), then instead do WC or Ohana's for dinner.

Cost-wise you actually wouldn't be spending that much money since Rainforest is over-priced.

Did I say it was overpriced? And mediocre?

Oh well...the gorilla was kind of neat (gotta say something nice, right).

Upvote 0

Willbgone

Original Poster
I have been to Rainforest Cafe in Ak once before in March 1999. My DH and I LOVED it!!! So we are going back to take my DD and my parents for their first visit. It may be different this go around but we enjoyed our selfs immensely last time. We are mainly going for the atmosphere for the DD. We will be in WDW on our last day so maybe we could do O'hanas for Dinner and Whispering Canyon for lunch on our last day?? HMMMM a thought!! :veryconfu

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

Go to O'hana!!!
I was there for the first time 2 weeks ago. The food is awesome, and there are activities for children to do while your food is being cooked. There are hula-dancing lessons, hula-hoop contests, and their famous coconut races all of which take place right in the dining room and is a great chance for some awesome pictures. Also, O'hana overlooks the lagoon and you can see Cinderella Castle from the huge glass windows. (Espically nice if you are there later in the night and you can see the fireworks).

This place is a must-see...espically with your 2 year old.

Tell us all how it went!

Upvote 0

Maria

OHANA´S! No doubt about it... but make sure you go there for dinner. The food is delicious! All you can eat meat, salmon and shrimp with a real good banana bread right from their wood oven. :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

Upvote 0

kennyj29

Tough Choice

We go to O'hana's every time we go. We went to Whispering Canyon Cafe this year also. Loved them both. The only complaint I have is that we bought a shot glass from Wilderness Lodge and my daughter had it on the table. When we left, she forgot to take it. We went right back and we talked to the guy who cleaned off the table and he said it wasnt' there. I find that very hard to believe but as far as the food, we loved them both and the atmosphere was great in both but if i had to choose one, I would have to go with O'hana's!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom